JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a good load to carry in my 329PD revolver with me while I am hiking in the woods. I have read that using a heavy hard cast bullet is best for large animal protection. They say you want the penetration and don't want the bullet to expand.

What I was wondering is what about using full metal jacket bullets? Would they be as good as hard cast for protection? I always practice what I carry and I don't like to shoot lead in my revolver if I don't have to.

Just curious why the aversion to shooting cast thru your revolver???

I've shot plenty of good hardcast lead thru my 629 with no issues. Most were moly-coated hardcast 240gr or hardcast 300gr pills with gaschecks. The 300's are a kick in the pants to shoot, and I wouldn't hesitate using the hardcast 240's over a stout charge of 296 or 2400 for anything with fur & teeth coming my way.

The 240's are also fun over a mid-wt charge of unique... easily group in minute of soda can.

I guess my aversion comes from the old days when using lead bullets would lead up the barrel and cause additional cleaning problems to get it out. I have never used gas checks or hard cast bullets (as far as I know). I may have to give these a try also.

word to the wise with hollow points. i have shot a flesh and blood animal with 5 hornady xtp with my .45 and not one of them expanded, they dont travel fast enough and that goes with almost all other hollow points unless they are designed for short barreled guns.on another note, i shoot cast bullets in all my weapons and i dont have any problems with leading.if you have the bullet lubed and the proper hardness on the bullets you should be just fine.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a FMJ bullet for a revolver with the exception of a truncated cone type of bullet. I wouldn't use a round nose or truncated cone for anything that was thinking of having me for lunch, or anything I was planning on having for dinner. The shape of the bullet tends to arrow thru things instead of spreading it's shock over a wider area.
I load and shoot many .45 ACP rounds but have not every tried a Hornady XTP in them. I would be concerned about lack of expansion as stated by usmc. But in a magnum revolver, it is by far and away my favorite bullet. In a short barreled .44 Mag I'd use a faster powder that would still keep the velocity up. They expand well and hold together in very tough media.
If I was using a lead bullet again and was trying to give it a good push, I would look at gas checks or the half jacket bullets. Either way, I would use a semi-wadcutter or a wide flat point.

I can recommend RimRock bullets They offer 44cal in 180grTC $70/500 and 240gr TC $90/500 They're 9mm 380 100gr they say is used in Buffalo Bore Ammo. Hard cast are 20-22 Brinnell HardGood Luck

Are grizzly bears common in WA? If not, then there isn't anything in the woods that a .44mag JHP shouldn't kill.

I've never seen any FMJ for .44mag either. The closest thing I've seen to a FMJ bullet is barnes "busters", and they're expensive.

Didn't see it listed currently, but this dude use to make a load specifically for bear protection for the 329PD, Garrett Cartridges Inc. 44 mag .45-70 .44 ammo ammunition bullets african hunting cartridges

Grizzly's are not common in WA, but I go to different state to hike including Montana.

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. I now have more options to consider.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top