JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So - I was in the local gun shop recently, and they had a 5" S&W 629 Classic on display.

I like 5" revolvers with a full underlug - they feel perfectly balanced in my hand.

And, since I don't currently have anything in.44 magnum (and we occasionally have a black bear on our place), and because... Well, the thing just looked so good, and balanced so nicely... I put it on layaway. (Seems I always have something on layaway over there.)

So, I'm looking forward to having another nice revolver, and starting to think about ammo choices.

The fact that I have arthritis in my hands means I'll probably do most of my target practicing with .44 specials. But if I do get to carry this revolver in the woods, I'll want rounds that pack a serious punch.

I've seen videos of the LeHigh or Underwood 'Extreme Penetrators'. They look like they might have enough thump, and enough penetration, to be a competitor with Buffalo Bore hardcast rounds. But they might not have as much punishing recoil as the BB.

Do any of you have experience hunting (or plinking) with the Extreme Penetrators?

Do you notice any difference in felt recoil with them?

I'll get some of both types, and see how they feel to me. If it doesn't hurt too much, I'll probably stick with the hardcast rounds. But maybe some of you have already tried both.

If I had a .44 again I'd reload and cast for it again. I've had .44 Specials and Magnums and you can make either buck or not for a pittance and a standard cast SWC out of either penetrates way more than 30-06 bullets in game-like medium.

I have shot and reloaded for the .44 Mag for over 30 years and the Hornady 240 gr XTP or 240 gr hard cast would be my choice for pistol loads.
I have shot buffalo bore loads and about half of them blew the primers out of the cases, would never shoot them again.

So - I was in the local gun shop recently, and they had a 5" S&W 629 Classic on display.

I like 5" revolvers with a full underlug - they feel perfectly balanced in my hand.

And, since I don't currently have anything in.44 magnum (and we occasionally have a black bear on our place), and because... Well, the thing just looked so good, and balanced so nicely... I put it on layaway. (Seems I always have something on layaway over there.)

So, I'm looking forward to having another nice revolver, and starting to think about ammo choices.

The fact that I have arthritis in my hands means I'll probably do most of my target practicing with .44 specials. But if I do get to carry this revolver in the woods, I'll want rounds that pack a serious punch.

I've seen videos of the LeHigh or Underwood 'Extreme Penetrators'. They look like they might have enough thump, and enough penetration, to be a competitor with Buffalo Bore hardcast rounds. But they might not have as much punishing recoil as the BB.

Do any of you have experience hunting (or plinking) with the Extreme Penetrators?

Do you notice any difference in felt recoil with them?

I'll get some of both types, and see how they feel to me. If it doesn't hurt too much, I'll probably stick with the hardcast rounds. But maybe some of you have already tried both.
I had the 5" Classic, shot Garrett Hardcast, but only for hunting. Yes, definitely a felt difference, not something you want to shoot often!

Thanks for the replies.

I've not learned how to reload yet - and might not have enough years left to learn that skill, since I have so many other irons in the fire. But it is something I'm interested in.

Have done a bit more "armchair research", and found some testimonials about these rounds being very effective while having less recoil. Also contacted Underwood to see if they recommend this as a bear round.

Here's the email from Underwood (talking about the .44 magnum):

A7BAE80F-7215-4582-90D7-C10602938F95.jpeg

Here are some testimonials about the effectiveness of the round, and the lighter recoil:

87B1F927-91A8-4646-9055-CE7EF92D2CF1.jpeg

ABD2B58F-3B1E-4633-84DD-0034D7F0C0DD.jpeg

5A080F73-13EE-4AFD-B126-150EC89674F3.png

And here's a fellow talking about this round in .357 magnum:

BE795827-EF21-4E83-8849-1424CB808394.jpeg

I'll let you all know if the recoil is noticeably softer, both in .357 and .44 - meanwhile, I'm hoping to talk with anyone who's used them successfully for hunting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top