JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i have spent the last 2 years going to school,volintering and training to become a firefighter,i have done everything asked of me and even more.
As of now i am done with what i have been doing and monday start as a paid full time firefighter/EMT for columbia county.

Speaking as a son of a fireman and as an ex-volunteer firefighter myself, I congratulate you---it IS an achievement. My only advice: stay away from hard liquor when you are grieving, and always nap on your days off!

You will enjoy this tale: a friend I grew up with in the Midwest decided that he needed a secure career---at the age of thirty-nine. He always thought that he should become a firefighter, so he committed himself to the three month "short-course" in Fire Science at the University, an incredibly hard course of compressed study. He got the degree with near-perfect grades, and was already physically buff from his career as an ironworker, so he applied to the City.

He was interviewed by the Deputy Chief, and told straight-up that he would NEVER be hired as they would blackball all his efforts because he was forty---too old, and likely seeking a disabillity retirement gravy-train. That is the way that the department brass thought about older applicants. Well, this only pissed my friend off!

He trained and he studied; he studied and he trained. So when the Bureau applicant tests were given, all the written tests, practical tests, and physical strength and agility tests were over: HE GOT THE HIGHEST SCORE THAT HAD EVER BEEN DONE! In a hundred years of testing in that large metropolitan city, he was the single most qualified applicant---ever!

Well, the brass hated it, but they HAD to hire him. The Chief whispered cuss words when he pinned the badge on my pal. He has had a happy and successful career, and still loves the job. He's now the old man of the Department, but still enjoys shoving the young bucks out of the way to get stuff done right if necessary.

The moral of the story: PERSERVERANCE FURTHERS!.......................elsullo

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top