JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is exactly why I moved to the middle of NOWHERE. It's hard not to wonder how the driver could throw the guy out to the mob of "good samaritan's" that just happened to have their face-concealing bandana's when a stranger assaulted someone for no reason. The only thing more vile than this happening is the driver being applauded for throwing the man to the wolves. No matter what they say, I saw a man running for his life from masked men. How the hell would I or the driver know what did or didn't happen prior? The bandana wearing gang would definitely make me consider NOT throwing the man to the wolves. Was he convicted(or even accused) of the "first" stabbing? If so, then I have no problem with the mob justice. If he didn't stab somebody and she STILL threw him out, that changes everything.

Two days ago;

Wife goes with co-worker to help her get some parts for her car. Co-worker lives in a borderline area, as does her local auto parts store. They finish looking at parts and are just about to check out when two men get into an argument that escalates. Simple cut in line becomes two men chest thumping becomes one pulling a knife proclaiming he just got out after 7 years 'inside'. Other guy backs out.

Wife didn't know if she should draw at that point. Guy had a knife but wasn't advancing. Personally I'd have drawn down and had the store call the cops. Guy like that shouldn't be out if he's willing to pull a knife due to an exchange of words. She got ready to draw and moved in front of her friend. It ended with both guys just leaving on their own.

What would you have done?

Two days ago;

Wife goes with co-worker to help her get some parts for her car. Co-worker lives in a borderline area, as does her local auto parts store. They finish looking at parts and are just about to check out when two men get into an argument that escalates. Simple cut in line becomes two men chest thumping becomes one pulling a knife proclaiming he just got out after 7 years 'inside'. Other guy backs out.

Wife didn't know if she should draw at that point. Guy had a knife but wasn't advancing. Personally I'd have drawn down and had the store call the cops. Guy like that shouldn't be out if he's willing to pull a knife due to an exchange of words. She got ready to draw and moved in front of her friend. It ended with both guys just leaving on their own.

Tossed the other guy a knife

Left my stuff on the ground, walked outside and called the police.

No offense to the guy getting a knife pulled on him or the store, but my priority is to me and my family (first and foremost). I owe it to them to make it home each night and to provide for them. Guy coming at me or mine with a knife is a no brainer (but then again, I wouldn't have gotten into a tussle over a cut in line either).

The issue is when you're getting license plates after someone flees the scene of a crime or if your wife did end up drawing the gun. Who is the biggest threat to him at that point? Your wife. Sounds like she did everything just fine.

Look guys, I'm not saying you have to run into the back rom, roll into a ball and hope the bad guys leave you alone. Just don't go looking for trouble. Be a good witness, call the police, stick around and get as much info as possible without getting into harms way. But if it comes your way, by God make sure it's you that's left standing- giving your version of the events.

"These days, unless it's me or mine that are being hurt, I just call 911. The chances of getting sued or charged for simply helping someone in need are too great."

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner! The cops have carte blanche - I don't. FAS has a class that closes with a scenario in which you don't know what's going on, but weapons are involved. The correct response is buy your beer or car parts at another store. If the con threatens me with a blade then it's different, but I am not sworn personnel and have no obligation to destroy my life for somebody who is not prepared to take care of themselves.

"These days, unless it's me or mine that are being hurt, I just call 911. The chances of getting sued or charged for simply helping someone in need are too great."

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner! The cops have carte blanche - I don't. FAS has a class that closes with a scenario in which you don't know what's going on, but weapons are involved. The correct response is buy your beer or car parts at another store. If the con threatens me with a blade then it's different, but I am not sworn personnel and have no obligation to destroy my life for somebody who is not prepared to take care of themselves.

Police have additional arrest and detention authority, and certain specific exemptions from some laws and regulations... but hardly have "carte blanche." They have discretion whether or not to put themselves in danger, whether or not to affect an arrest for a crime (except domestic violence and DUII, in Oregon), whether or not to care or get involved in any situation they find themselves in or see. The exact same sentence can be applied to any citizen. The difference is in societal perspective only- this is the age of "professionalism," and society grants credit to people who are supposedly specialized in specific fields. Doctors, cops, roofers, lawyers, mechanics... "You're not a _______, honey. Leave it to a professional before you screw it all up."

It's good and bad. My point is only that the different between a cop's "authority" and yours is about 98% illusion.

In Polk County, Oregon there was a case about a year ago where a belligerent fellow in a bar attacked another patron with a knife. He had the fellow on the floor with a knife held to his throat and said he would kill him. A third patron stepped in with a knife and cut the assailant's throat. The "good samaritan" was charged with murder and it was taken to trial, only to have the charge thrown out by the judge.

Of course, the "victim's" family was appalled that the killer "got away" with killing their innocent little boy.

Lesson 1: even if you are in the right, the justice system can make your life miserable.

Lesson 2: don't let the justice system get the impression that you are a "vigilante."

It's good and bad. My point is only that the different between a cop's "authority" and yours is about 98% illusion.

I would have to disagree with you on this point. Anything a cop puts in his report is considered the undeniable truth in court. Any testimony they give in court is weighed far more heavily than anything you or I would say. Cops are people too, so they sometimes fudge the facts as well. Maybe to cover their own a$$es. Maybe to get the conviction. Whatever the case, the practice is so common they have a name for it. Testilying. And then there is the blue code of silence, but that's another topic. The police are entrusted with special legal protections and superior firepower. That is not an illusion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top