JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,
I went to the range today for some practice and fun. Standing in front of my open safe, I struggled for a moment picking which ones to take for the day out. That led me to a hypothetical challenge. What, if you were only allowed one pistol and one long rifle, which ones would you keep? Interesting enough the ones I would keep were not the ones I took to the range ;-)

I would keep a 9mm CZ75 P07 pistol and a Beretta CX4 9mm rifle. Reasoning: same caliber, both highly effective in terms of accuracy, reliability, and power.

What I took to the range was an SR22 in .22 (so much fun) and a SP101 shooting Speer Gold Dot 135gr SB ammo. There was not much more recoil than in the .22 ;-) I know, I did not take a rifle to the range, but hey.

What's the point of all this? I guess we have relationships for fun and others for business.

Well Booger Hook I don't have as many guns as I've ever wanted. Were I to it'd look like Charlton Heston's collection before he died.

I have a thing for WWII guns. Ours, the Jerry's and the British. But peering into my own safe (with a flashlight) I'd likely go for either the 10-22 I got from Sonny or the 10-22 I got at a WAC show in Monroe in 2010. I'd probably have to flip for it.

Of the few handguns I own chances are I'd choose my favorite, a High Standard I traded for 20+years ago. Of all the guns I've had the last 45 years my 2 favorite calibers hands down have ALWAYS BEEN 22s and the venerable 12G. I just have a thing for short barreled police shotguns. The best 12G I EVER HAD was a S&W Model 3000 12G. Had a Cylinder bore, rifle sights full wood stock and was 7 or 8 plus 1. I still kick myself for selling it. Whatever I pointed it at got obliterated. It ran flawlessly.

Sometimes I'm a real Gomer.:rolleyes:

While on a camping trip with an old friend from a couple of old Patriot sites 4-5 summers ago he let me spend an afternoon shooting his bored to a 308 Lee Enfield SMLE. Also that day I shot an M1 Carbine in 30cal and I think it was called a PTR91. One of the snazziest uber cool ARs I'd ever seen in all my born days. Just 2 or 3 shots as he'd just got it like 2-3 days before and he was chomping at the bit. It had that fancy sight I like-I think it's called a Holo Sight. It's small and black like 4-5" in length by 2" tall and about 1 1/2" wide where you peer thru it. Shiny yellow glass with red dot in reticle. I am at that age that I need optics on all my rifles/shotguns and my 2 carry guns. I also shot a Saiga 12 that weekend down there west of Oly with a stop going back at the super cool surplus store right outside the main gate at Fort Lewis.

That was quite the weekend.

Only 2?!?

Well, my pistol would be my GP100 6". Hard to beat a .357 mag revolver Imo.

My rifle would be my gunsight scout. Short, .308win, mag fed & 4x scout scope.

Those should cover me for defense and big game; I'll just have to give my wife 2x .22's for the small game stuff.

While on a camping trip with an old friend from a couple of old Patriot sites 4-5 summers ago he let me spend an afternoon shooting his bored to a 308 Lee Enfield SMLE...
Perhaps you are mistaken about shooting a "bored out rifle". The Lee Enfield Ishapore 308 Rifle was built specifically for .308 caliber. I have one.

I would go for same caliber as well. GP100 4" and one of the .357 lever actions. I would have to also toss a coin for longer barrel or short for ease of carry depending on why I had to choose only one. Walking dead style I would go with a 10/22 and M&P...not sure if I would go 9 or 40. Again a coin toss.

Perhaps you are mistaken about shooting a "bored out rifle". The Lee Enfield Ishapore 308 Rifle was built specifically for .308 caliber. I have one.

The SMLE was a 303,
You talking about the L42
The 7.62 wasn't produced til 1964.
Other than Rebarreling/reboring and chambering for
the 7.62 nato round (308) By individuals/Smiths

Last Edited:
Sometimes the answers are harder than the questions.:D
For sure. I go looking for rifles and always come home with a new pistol. I need to control myself and finally get a rifle I want. Last time I went to buy one I came home with no rifles and 3 pistols..last week. Now I have to wait at least a week for a rifle so I stay married.

Question is too difficult and needs to be more specific. Like if you could only have two hunting guns or war guns or target gun.... See I already got us guys owning six guns and I haven't even reached the fun guns.:D

Question is too difficult and needs to be more specific. Like if you could only have two hunting guns or war guns or target gun.... See I already got us guys owning six guns and I haven't even reached the fun guns.:D

I think this question would stop giving me a headache if it was changed to at least 4 guns. I would just break the 2 gun rule at this point.

My maternal grandmother's Model 70 in 300 H&H and my paternal grandfather's S&W Model 10-5 in .38 spc because I could never get rid of those.

Not counting my inherited guns, my USP45c and Noveske N4 because I shoot those the better than I do the rest of them.

Noah's Arc of guns: 2 revolvers, 2 1911s, 2 semi-automatic sub-compacts, 2 ....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top