JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmmmmmmmm.

Call THAT a gun?

Now THIS is a gun........

batus.jpg

tac

I do know that the OP requested a hard hitting cartridge , but ...
A .530 round ball weighs in around 220-225 grains and .535 round ball around 230-240 grains.
Fired from a .54 caliber muzzle loader it will take a elk out to a 100 yards or so.
The .58 or .577 caliber rifled musket replicas are also a excellent choice for the hunter.
Andy

I do know that the OP requested a hard hitting cartridge , but ...
A .530 round ball weighs in around 220-225 grains and .535 round ball around 230-240 grains.
Fired from a .54 caliber muzzle loader it will take a elk out to a 100 yards or so.
The .58 or .577 caliber rifled musket replicas are also a excellent choice for the hunter.
Andy

Yup, a 535gr Minié bullet at believable velocity is going to have almost a ton of muzzle energy AND a HUGE cross-sectional area in which to deliver it.

Pal of mine in VA uses an old Parker-Hale Musketoon loaded up with 90gr of FFg to get almost those figures, at close range, it must be said, but nothing he has ever hit has walked away.

tac

I'm surprised that no one has suggested a 38-55 or .375 Winchester (other than finding ammo). The modern 38-55 will throw a 255 grain bullet at almost 2000 fps and the .375 will do better. In a lever action it is a fast and light brush gun. They are easier on the shoulder than the .444 or 45-70, although when I got my .375 Marlin (same size and weight as the 30-30 Model 336) I shot a box of 250 grain bullets and my shoulder was sore for a few days (OK a week). Both should be enough to drop an Elk at 100 yards.

The last few years I have hunted elk I have been in an area where a 100 yd shot is a LONG shot. I plan to remain hunting in this area for a while. I still hunt elk with my 300 win mag, but I would like to get something that isn't really for long range yet has a heavy bullet, say starting at 250 grain (just to give an idea). Don't really care about bullet drop after 150 yards.

What caliber should I look into?

I also recommend the 45/70, if you're only doing the sneak-n-peek down in the thickest/nastiest second growth timber. A shorter carbine works well when in close quarters with the ground cover. I bought my Marlin 1895 over 20 years ago as health insurance for Kodiak bear. Will never sell it. There are other calibers mentioned here that will all do excellent. Though my carbine was always available, I always carried a rifle easily capable of distances out to 400 yards when hunting the Oregon coast range. I always seemed to find the animals near or on the tree line more than within the timber while making my way down a stand. The distances seemed to be between 200-300 yards. Just my thoughts. BTW, I have great respect for those that, when able bodied, will get out of their truck and do a real hunt through a timber patch.

Last year I used my trusty 30-06 with a 200gr. partition. If that's not hard hitting enough, I don't know what is???? A guy could always opt for something bigger like a 338wm, 338 Lapua, 8mm rem mag, 375H&H or 50 BMG, but for the most part, the good ol 30-06 always seems to work well enough..: This is coming from a guy that's taken bulls with the 338wm loaded with 250's, and 9.3x62mm loaded with 286gr. partitions, along with 300 magnums of various sorts (short and long).

I wish my photobucket worked, I'd show you guys a picture of a 308 cartridge next to a 250gr. 30 cal barnes original... Now if I could only get that combo to shoot accurately.....:oops:

The last few years I have hunted elk I have been in an area where a 100 yd shot is a LONG shot. I plan to remain hunting in this area for a while. I still hunt elk with my 300 win mag, but I would like to get something that isn't really for long range yet has a heavy bullet, say starting at 250 grain (just to give an idea). Don't really care about bullet drop after 150 yards.
What caliber should I look into?
This sounds like a job for the .358 Winchester.
Basically, a necked up .308, it pushes a 250 gr. bullet at around 2200 f/s (and faster!), which mimics the performance of the old .35 Winchester load.
Finding a gun to shoot it might prove a little daunting, as they've been few and far between over the years.
I know Ruger was making a bolt action in it a few years ago and, of course, Winchester debuted the round in their model 88 lever action.
A fine round that is more than adequate for anything North America can throw at it, it rarely gets the respect is deserves.

...also, honorable mentions go to...

A) the old .350 Remington Magnum, which was a fat little short action round that pushed a big bullet at a pretty fair rate of speed. On top of that, the model 600 rifle with the laminated stock was the epitome of 1960's coolness.

B) The BUFFALO BORE VERSION of the .35 Remington. It pushes a heavier bullet at a faster speed than anyone thought the old Remington rimless round was capable of. Make sure your 336 is in good shape, because this one does push the round to its upper limits.

...and finally...

C) .376 Steyr in the Steyr Pro Hunter rifle. This is a rig that will allow you to hunt anywhere in the world. Pushing a 270 gr. bullet with over 4000 lbs. of ME, that elk or moose will think its been hit by a train.

While any of these cartridges will work wonderfully it should be noted that, with judicious aim, you can down a moose or an elk with a .30-30, too. It's more than capable of dispatching said game...and if you feel you need more power, be aware that Hornady's Leverevolution POWDER is capable of pushing a Sierra 170 gr. Pro Hunter FN bullet at over 2300 ft./sec., creating a round that is still safe to shoot in recent examples of the Winchester 94 and Marlin 336 rifles, while still generating over 2000 lbs. ME (see this article).
...food for thought.

Dean

Last Edited:
I really like the 35 cal stuff.....starting with the 35 Remington through the 358 Norma. My personal elk rifle is a 378 Weatherby Magnum.....it is effective at most any range you want to shoot at. I am not recoil sensitive and the rifle has never failed to shoot one hole groups at 100 yards. I also have a P14 Enfield, sporterized into a 20" manlicher stock in 458 Win. It is really handy. I prefer at least a 30 cal bullet on elk, but a larger bullet is always good.

I really like the 35 cal stuff.....My personal elk rifle is a 378 Weatherby Magnum.....it is effective at most any range you want to shoot at. I am not recoil sensitive and the rifle has never failed to shoot one hole groups at 100 yards.
Weatherby rifles. At one time, the strongest action on earth (maybe still?)...and for good reason...378 Weatherby, for Elk? Good Lord! Good for Elk, Moose, Bison, Sasquatch and The Loch Ness Monster!
At 400 yards, the tiny 270 grain bullet from a 378, is over 100 ft./lbs. more powerful than a 150 gr. .30-06 is at the muzzle.:eek:
They had a .30 cal. version of that round, too (since the cartridge changes to a larger size after the .340...or it used to, anyway).
So a .300 Weatherby and a .30-.378 Weatherby are (were?) two different beasts.
A fine rifle that shoots a more than adequate round. Thanks for sharing that one with us, Argonaut. I don't hear of too many men shooting those guns anymore.

Dean

Weatherby rifles. At one time, the strongest action on earth (maybe still?)...and for good reason...378 Weatherby, for Elk? Good Lord! Good for Elk, Moose, Bison, Sasquatch and The Loch Ness Monster!
At 400 yards, the tiny 270 grain bullet from a 378, is over 100 ft./lbs. more powerful than a 150 gr. .30-06 is at the muzzle.:eek:
They had a .30 cal. version of that round, too (since the cartridge changes to a larger size after the .340...or it used to, anyway).
So a .300 Weatherby and a .30-.378 Weatherby are (were?) two different beasts.
A fine rifle that shoots a more than adequate round. Thanks for sharing that one with us, Argonaut. I don't hear of too many men shooting those guns anymore.

Dean
I would never have bought one.....but there was a beautiful left handed German MK5 for sale at the Rod and Gun club on base in the mid 70's. It had been ordered by an officer that was going to Africa, his trip was cancelled and the rifle stayed on the sales rack. The price kept going down until I could no longer resist........I took it to the German sporting range and it wasn't that bad to shoot. Very accurate. The Germans at the range gathered to watch the spectacle and wanted to buy a shell from me. I sold a box of them for 5.00 a piece, crazy money in those days. I shot a Hirsh with it that year, after coming back to Utah, I shot 2 bucks while there was a cross over season with elk and deer, I shot an elk in both Utah where I was stationed and in Idaho my state of residence, a really big black bear in southern Idaho and a Moose in BC. Each went down like they were pole axed. Many times with there feet in the air. I have to date, never had any game even twitch after being shot with it including a nice bull elk taken at 300 yards. I shoot 270 grains just under 3200 FPS making over 6000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. It carries as well as my brothers 338 Lapua with much more energy. I shoot it very well. don't use it for anything smaller than elk on purpose usually choosing my 6.5X55, 7mm mag or 308. But when you gotta have it.....it has always been there for me. I have never considered the Weatherby the best quality rifle, I have Steyrs, Merkel's and Mauser's that I think are finer rifles...but they are very good. I will use it on my northern Idaho bear hunt this fall and maby for an elk.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top