JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got back from checking zero on a few hunting rifles before I leave for my big elk trip next week. My tried and true, always faithful Remington 700 was with me so I could adjust it's zero up a bit. As I was shooting, the safety was resetting itself on after every shot. I figured I'd better check and see what was going on with it, and when I took the rifle apart, I found parts. The C-clip which secure the pin which the safety pivots on had popped loose, meaning the safety worked, but had no tension on it. I tried to fix it at the range, but no luck. Back at home I got it all back together and functioning, but the C-clip is worn and I need a replacement. Local hardware store doesn't have anything that will work and MidwayUSA wants 25 bucks to ship it two day air or 18 for UPS ground which "should" get it to me on time, this is for a 6 dollar part that weighs about as much as a stamp. I usually don't complain about shipping prices, but I am already pretty upset.

I was able to get it all back together, and the clip seems to be holding fine, nice positive set and release. I am worried that under recoil it's going to pop off and sadly I am headed to work tomorrow, so I won't have a chance to go shoot it again until next week. I am seriously thinking about going out and just buying a new rifle. :(

I want to say i bought some from radioshack once?? might want to call and see if they have any.

That is a great idea. I am headed to Fry's tonight as well, they have a pretty good selection of small clips and such, so I will check there. I have been debating on taking it apart again so I can hunt down the proper clip, so I think I am going to go for it. I can always reassemble it.

I often have luck finding obscure parts such as yours at Parkrose Hardware, despite their non CC policy. Just an idea. Ive had rifle fail 2 or 3 times during a hunt. No doubt youll be bringing a backup rifle. I had a horse roll over my 700 in a scabbard and snapped the stock at the wrist. Fortunately had my 99 Savage too. BTW, got my buck and a bonus black bear too.

my remmy 700 is giving me some trouble also, not ejecting properly. had it out on Monday to check some new loads, shot fine and dialed right in but sometimes the empty case ends up not kicking out like it is supposed to. if it doesn't straighten up after a good cleaning and inspection I will be using my ruger 77 this elk hunt.

$25 for the clip is crazy, but still WAY cheaper than a new rifle! And you aren't going to have time to zero that one in either.

This is a very good point. And I'll have time to zero it, just not hunt down parts, so I am trying to find the parts, even if I don't need them in the long run.

I often have luck finding obscure parts such as yours at Parkrose Hardware, despite their non CC policy. Just an idea. Ive had rifle fail 2 or 3 times during a hunt. No doubt youll be bringing a backup rifle. I had a horse roll over my 700 in a scabbard and snapped the stock at the wrist. Fortunately had my 99 Savage too. BTW, got my buck and a bonus black bear too.

I've got a few local places I can try, but they are on the list.

one shot one ki ll what's the big deal? and just be ready to flip the safety off if you need another shot.

This thought had occurred to me, just walk around without anything chambered, and when I find my elk chamber a round and take the shot. I am not going to be shooting anything on the run, so having the quickness of a chambered rifle isn't a necessity. However, I do feel it's back to working spec, just as long as it holds through recoil.

It is a common E clip, if I remember right the Rem one had a little bigger tab on it.

I have the E-Clip kit from Brownells, so if you get in a bind send me a PM..

Remington calls it a C-Clip, but and E-clip would work just as well. I would have bought some E-clips today, but they only went down to 5/32" and I need a 3/32". Thank you for the offer, but I should be able to find something locally.

my remmy 700 is giving me some trouble also, not ejecting properly. had it out on Monday to check some new loads, shot fine and dialed right in but sometimes the empty case ends up not kicking out like it is supposed to. if it doesn't straighten up after a good cleaning and inspection I will be using my ruger 77 this elk hunt.

I was very disheartened today upon returning from the range. My 700 has been my steady work horse, always reliable. Now with these issues it's taken a step back, but once I get it squared away again I am sure it will be back to work horse soon. :D

Have you checked Wilco in Canby, they have a huge assortment of hardware. They sell Grade 5 ($2.99/lb.) and Grade 8 ($3.99/lb.) hardware by the pound. Best place in town to buy hardware.

Carburetor linkage c-clips might work, have you checked out any auto parts stores. Autozone and O'Reilly's do not carry much hardware but NAPA usually does.

I'll second checking out Tacoma Screw Products. This is one of the places I get hardware when Wilco does not carry it.

Have you checked Wilco in Canby, they have a huge assortment of hardware. They sell Grade 5 ($2.99/lb.) and Grade 8 ($3.99/lb.) hardware by the pound. Best place in town to buy hardware.

Carburetor linkage c-clips might work, have you checked out any auto parts stores. Autozone and O'Reilly's do not carry much hardware but NAPA usually does.

I'll second checking out Tacoma Screw Products. This is one of the places I get hardware when Wilco does not carry it.

We've got an ACE where I live that has about the same hardware selection as Wilco in Canby or Oregon City, however I checked both of those today, everything was too big.

try a model airplane RC car type hobby shop

WINNER!!! Thank you so much for the suggestion. I went to Hobbytown this morning off 82nd and they had exactly what I needed. I never would have though of this as an option, but $2 later and I had it fixed.

IMG_20131028_112841_700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews