JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know what California considers a hard container?

Their pistol laws say it must be locked, unloaded in a hard container. What does that mean??? :confused:

I case most guns come in is hard plastic and can be locked through the handle. Is that considered hard?

Thanks, Ed

Pelican case, Plano, tackle box, filing cabinet, etc etc. I thought it was just 'locked container'. But anything you can padlock or that takes a key in one step to open should suffice since there is no absolute definition. Damn, Cali sounds like it's using NT permission sets as their laws.

There is actually a list on the State of CA Department of Justice sight. And when you look at various lock boxes and cases on line many will now say they are State of CA approved

In California, to be safe and legal a Hard Container is considered as being encased in a block of quick drying cement. :s0131:

I thought it had to be made of carbonite or some other fictional substance. They also prefer the owner to be locked in a separate case.

Two of my vehicles don't have locking glove boxes or a trunk - ie Van and SUV. So taking loaded pistols to and from the range, even way in the back of the vehicle is a no-no, not per Oregon law, but per City jurisdictions like Portland and Oregon City. Don't know the California law.

These are $25 shipped. 6" tall x 12"x12" - a perfect fit for two Maxpedition pistol soft cases.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120745035001&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT <<< Steel, lockable box
http://cgi.ebay.com/Maxpedition-Pis...636?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e838f5dc < fits two of these with pistol/mags; gun can be loaded since it is locked up and not easily accessible.

Your total cost to be in compliance with the law for two pistols is about $60.00. If you have a locking trunk or can lock a glovebox (do not leave a key in it) you can go that route also. I think I would only go the trunk route or this locking box to not have to deal with a misinformed cop on the issue.

Put a cheap luggage combo lock on it and it complies with "not readily accessible' or locked in a container. A nice lock would be silly since a perp would just take the whole thing anyway or bust off the hinge.

If I ever get around to going the CHL route this still a good idea. For instance, if I loan my car to someone, can't carry into certain places, etc. The steel box could be bolted down in some cars also, making stealing it to much hassle for the average thief. Put a sticker on it that says 'Highway flares and Tire Patches"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top