JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I'm sitting on my deer stand this morning about 500 yards from my truck, which I can see from where I am. About 7:00 am a red and black Toyota Land Cruiser comes speeding down the gravel road at about 45 mph, and as they pass my truck they lay on the horn several times. Obviously, this was meant to destroy my morning hunt. I was on private property, for which I have permission to hunt. I was hunting legally and according to regulations. Someone decided to harass me for doing that. Since they were obviously non-hunters they were probably on their way to work in nearby Maupin, which is more and more inhabited by the kind of people one finds in downtown Portland; arrogant and condescending.

Well, just to let the folks in Maupin know how things are, if your co-worker/friend/neighbor succeeds in getting me to stop hunting over there, here's what gets taken away from the local economy during deer season:

1. $300 in Maupin camping fees
2. $200 in Maupin gasoline sales
3. $200 in Maupin restaurant sales
4. $100 in lost/forgotten/used up stuff from the Maupin hardware and grocery stores.

That's $800 spent in Maupin for the week for just one hunter. Now multiply that by a couple hundred. Maybe when that co-worker/friend/neighbor starts bragging about their behavior this morning you can ask them how you're going to pay the bills without any income from hunters.:mad:

Ignore the AZZES.
Vehicle sounds, horns and such seldom disturb game, as they hear it day in and day out.
My guess is the deer in the area ignored it also. The only thing truly disturbed was probably just your nerves and temper. Don't let them win. Now if they get out and come and harass you call OSP and they are then breaking laws that can be prosecuted for.
One of the biggest bucks I ever shot was right above shearers bridge. We were hunting chukkars and deer both and the train that went through laid his horn wide open. The deer didn't even move, until we walked up the draw on them.

Ignore the AZZES.
Vehicle sounds, horns and such seldom disturb game, as they hear it day in and day out.
My guess is the deer in the area ignored it also. The only thing truly disturbed was probably just your nerves and temper. Don't let them win. Now if they get out and come and harass you call OSP and they are then breaking laws that can be prosecuted for.
One of the biggest bucks I ever shot was right above shearers bridge. We were hunting chukkars and deer both and the train that went through laid his horn wide open. The deer didn't even move, until we walked up the draw on them.
Regardless of the effectiveness of the attempt, it was the intent that really bothered me.

I wouldn't write them off as non-hunter, I think your putting too much faith in hunters. I have had similar thing happen to me then later saw the same vehicle parked in a hunting camp. I have also had party members stalking a buck and had other hunters see it jump out of their truck blowing an elk call. In this case they both had already got their deer and were just driving around drunk causing trouble. There are jackholes everywhere.

I wouldn't write them off as non-hunter, I think your putting too much faith in hunters. I have had similar thing happen to me then later saw the same vehicle parked in a hunting camp. I have also had party members stalking a buck and had other hunters see it jump out of their truck blowing an elk call. In this case they both had already got their deer and were just driving around drunk causing trouble. There are jackholes everywhere.
An unfortunate, but true observation.

Most of us gun owners like to think of the lot of us being the "good guys" and upstanding, do-right types of folks in contrasts to those no-good, gun-grabbing, Obama-voting, "Anti-Gunners," but my experience has been that there are plenty of jackass gun owners and hunters to balance out the scales for those of us who are trying to to do the right thing.

Which is infuriating and frustrating.

And why I'm more worried about two legged varmints out in the woods far from other people than I am any cougar or black bear.

I would guess that this is one of those Liberals from Portland or Bend who seem to be attracted to rural locations like Maupin. I notice that from the spot where this occurred going in towards town almost every stop sign has a Kitzhaber sticker plastered to it, and no, I don't think they mean "Stop Kitzhaber".;)

Hey Zeke,

Check your game regs, I know for a fact that its either unlawful or downright illegal to interfer with the lawful take of wildlife here in Oregon.

Put that smartphone to use next time and ship the results to O.S.P. and see what happens. I had something like that happen at a favorite fishing hole and the opposing party was told to leave and not come back!

I was hunting in NH about ten years ago.
I start hearing this clanging noise. It's getting louder and louder.
After a few minutes I can hear a voice chanting something.
Finally this woman and her dog come into view. I can see she's banging a pot with a wooden spoon and chanting, " Run away deer! Run away deer!"
I found myself sitting in the treeline watching this wackjob and marveling at her critical thinking skills.
Her plan was to scare away deer. Therefore she knew it was hunting season and decided to go out in the woods where men with rifles are hiding. I guess it never occurred to her that the woods are a great place to hide a body.
The whole thing just left me shaking my head. I ended up just leaving to go get some coffee at Dunkin' Donuts.

So, I'm sitting on my deer stand this morning about 500 yards from my truck, which I can see from where I am. About 7:00 am a red and black Toyota Land Cruiser comes speeding down the gravel road at about 45 mph, and as they pass my truck they lay on the horn several times. Obviously, this was meant to destroy my morning hunt. I was on private property, for which I have permission to hunt. I was hunting legally and according to regulations. Someone decided to harass me for doing that. Since they were obviously non-hunters they were probably on their way to work in nearby Maupin, which is more and more inhabited by the kind of people one finds in downtown Portland; arrogant and condescending.

Well, just to let the folks in Maupin know how things are, if your co-worker/friend/neighbor succeeds in getting me to stop hunting over there, here's what gets taken away from the local economy during deer season:

4. $100 in lost/forgotten/used up stuff from the Maupin hardware and grocery stores.

That's $800 spent in Maupin for the week for just one hunter. Now multiply that by a couple hundred. Maybe when that co-worker/friend/neighbor starts bragging about their behavior this morning you can ask them how you're going to pay the bills without any income from hunters.:mad:
You had me at $300.00 for camping fees?

I was hunting in NH about ten years ago.
I start hearing this clanging noise. It's getting louder and louder.
After a few minutes I can hear a voice chanting something.
Finally this woman and her dog come into view. I can see she's banging a pot with a wooden spoon and chanting, " Run away deer! Run away deer!"
I found myself sitting in the treeline watching this wackjob and marveling at her critical thinking skills.
Her plan was to scare away deer. Therefore she knew it was hunting season and decided to go out in the woods where men with rifles are hiding. I guess it never occurred to her that the woods are a great place to hide a body.
The whole thing just left me shaking my head. I ended up just leaving to go get some coffee at Dunkin' Donuts.
I would give a lot of money to see a hunter drop a deer at a person like that feet. Can you imagine the look on there face?

Down here in the Sprague and Silver Lake Units no one would dream of such insanity and I am thankful for it. The Natives wouldn't even bury the idiot. Down here and further east we have beautiful mountains and valleys and incredibly sparse population(Bend is over 150 miles from my place, Medford 120 or so.). Not only do we have the goods but Klamath and Lake County need your money as much as anywhere else. Consider spending next season down here where you will have far less chance of city folk encounters(Heck, the only time we see city folk is when they come hunting!) as the OP described. Not only will you not be harassed, you'll be appreciated for breathing life into dying towns.

One deer season in New Mexico,
We saw a guy walking the top of a ridge playing a trumpet. He was pretty good too.
It is illegal to harass game animals in New Mexico. It is also against the law to interfere with hunters. So, trumpet players and pot bangers get charged on both counts. Minimum sentence is one year on each count.:cool:

That's a nice idea, this post showing what will happen if you are forced out.
The reality is, it still won't stop @$$holes from being @$$holes.
Seems to be the way things are nowadays. Everyone seems to revel in being an @$$hole.

Dean

One deer season in New Mexico,
We saw a guy walking the top of a ridge playing a trumpet. He was pretty good too.
It is illegal to harass game animals in New Mexico. It is also against the law to interfere with hunters. So, trumpet players and pot bangers get charged on both counts. Minimum sentence is one year on each count.:cool:
That should be a federal law.
Good for NM!

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR