JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well since 9mm is hard to come by and I have a few hundred pounds of lead, back in February thought I would get molds. Just got an e-mail from Amazon that Lee Precision 9-mm 6 Cavity Mold should arrive by Friday. Now for a weekend on inhaling lead fumes and likely burning myself in the pursuit of range loads!

+1 to a respirator that filters out lead fumes.
I have heard from one person who has had it done, chelating treatment for lead poisoning is very unpleasant. (i.e. it freaking hurts for the duration of the treatment, which can last weeks).

When processing lead, keep the temperatures down and do it in the open air. I typically don't wear a respirator when doing casting, however I have an exhaust fan that sucks the air out above the pot. I also usually don't get the lead much above 500F, which is well below the vaporization temperature.

When breaking down lead (scrap) I totally wear a respirator, the nastyness of the breakdown process is what got me into just buying virgin lead, it's so worth it to not have to deal with that BS.

I cast outside my shop, as it does not have an exhaust fan(yet).

DO NOT overlook the danger of inhaling the fumes from your case tumbler. We get so caught up on the lead, that we forget the crap on your spent cases that is being thrown into the air.

My Lee moulds have all cast bad bullets for the first 100-200 casts. After that, they are great. Good luck with your new mould!

Guys thanks for all the advice. This will be my first attempt without my grandfather. Regards everyone. I used to make bullets with him, now I have inherited his gear.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top