Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Happy MLK day!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Burt Gummer, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

While most holidays are based on crap, at least this one was created for a great man. Unlike what the history books will say, he wasn't only about racial equality. The man knew his stuff and is the polar opposite to BO.

[video=youtube;qtAICroHcz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtAICroHcz8[/video]

In King’s 1967 book Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community? he wrote: “When scientific power outruns moral power, we end up with guided missiles and misguided men.”

2. Krey

Krey Portland Member

:thumbup:

3. Flyingswords

Flyingswords Texas Active Member

didnt realize it was a holiday today when I tried to go to the Post Office lol

Sirmohawk and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Me too, I went to my bank and was like whaaaa?.. then it dawned on me.

5. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I heard the entirety of MLK's 'I have a Dream' speech today for the first time, on Imus. I gotta say it was pretty good.

Keith

6. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I went to a really crazy party on MLK and thought it was Grand.

7. Just Me

Just Me Peoples Republik of Oregon Active Member

One of my favorite pics of MLK:

10812-80551-ihaveadreamsicl.jpg

:bluelaugh:

10812-80551-ihaveadreamsicl.jpg

8. Burt Gummer

If he was alive today he'd be shot within minutes for the things he would be saying about this country and its mis-leadership. People like him would probably die of a broken heart (if not shot) over how this place has turned into an Oligarch's wet dream.

2506, chris61182, 41Slinger and 5 others like this.
  9. Just Me

I agree. It is really a shame to see people like jesse jackson, al sharpton and obama conjure up MLK and pretend to ride his coattails. :angry:

chris61182, Angie, nwwoodsman and 5 others like this.
  10. osterr1999

osterr1999 Silverton, OR Active Member

Does he really deserve his own holiday? George Washington doesn't have his own holiday. How about Jefferson or Lincoln? He was a great man, but greater than these?

11. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

It's called Presidents Day. Would you rather have the banks closed for three days or just one?

12. Just Me

I think we should spread out the presidents day holiday. Three or more separate holidays throughout the year. :thumbup:

After bho dies he will have his own holiday because he is better than all the presidents combined. :laugh:

13. Burt Gummer

Plus remembering what the government does to men of peace.

Court Decision: U.S. ?Government Agencies? Found Guilty in Martin Luther King?s Assassination | Global Research

"After four weeks of testimony and over 70 witnesses in a civil trial in Memphis, Tennessee, twelve jurors reached a unanimous verdict on December 8, 1999 after about an hour of deliberations that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated as a result of a conspiracy. In a press statement held the following day in Atlanta, Mrs. Coretta Scott King welcomed the verdict, saying ,

“There is abundant evidence of a major high level conspiracy in the assassination of my husband, Martin Luther King, Jr. And the civil court’s unanimous verdict has validated our belief. I wholeheartedly applaud the verdict of the jury and I feel that justice has been well served in their deliberations. This verdict is not only a great victory for my family, but also a great victory for America. It is a great victory for truth itself. It is important to know that this was a SWIFT verdict, delivered after about an hour of jury deliberation.

The jury was clearly convinced by the extensive evidence that was presented during the trial that, in addition to Mr. Jowers, the conspiracy of the Mafia, local, state and federal government agencies, were deeply involved in the assassination of my husband. The jury also affirmed overwhelming evidence that identified someone else, not James Earl Ray, as the shooter, and that Mr. Ray was set up to take the blame. I want to make it clear that my family has no interest in retribution. Instead, our sole concern has been that the full truth of the assassination has been revealed and adjudicated in a court of law… My husband once said, “The moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” To-day, almost 32 years after my husband and the father of my four children was assassinated, I feel that the jury’s verdict clearly affirms this principle. With this faith, we can begin the 21st century and the new millennium with a new spirit of hope and healing.”

14. Just Me

BG,

Can you point me to a documentary that doesn't follow the James Earl Ray story? This has piqued my interest.

15. JimmyS1985

JimmyS1985 St.Louis Active Member

John Lewis was very close to MLK and is still alive to this day. He is a congressman from S. Carolina, he has a scar on his head from beatings he received from Southern White's when he was on the Freedom rides. Freedom rides were where something like 6 blacks and 7 whites rode buses through the South, seated next to each other, shortly after the SCOTUS decision that segregated busing was unconstitutional. Whenever the Bus would stop, there would be mobs of white people, and the police would fail to protect them, while they got beaten up and nearly murdered just for simply sitting next to each other and merely challenging the racial caste system of the South.

He was also in on a march, I think it's known as Bloody Sunday, where him and several blacks attempted to march into Birmingham Alabama across a bridge, and the police on the other side of the bridge charged them with billy clubs and mounted on horses, it may be where he got the scar on his head. That guy could be a boxer with how much abuse he took in his protests across the Deep South, trying to get rid of Jim Crow laws.

Thanks to people like him, I can sit next to whoever I want to, even if it's down in Birmingham Alabama or Yazoo City MS. Im white, I don't have very many black friends (Actually I have 1 black friend which gives me the best automatic excuse to tell all my racial jokes about blacks) I live with a woman from Kenya in my household, but anyways, they did a real service for this country. Being born in 1985, well after the CRA of 1964 was passed, it seems entirely foreign to me that my black students in my school could of been entirely segregated from me just over skin color.

Good thread Burt Gummer, you are one of my favorite NWFA.com posters on here.

16. Just Me

Is her last name obama? :laugh:

I kid, I kid! :)

17. Angie

Angie Reno, NV Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

He was a great man and an absolutely FABULOUS speaker. I love to listen to his speeches. Looking forward to seeing the TV movie about Coretta and Betty.

18. gallogiro

gallogiro Willamette Valley Active Member

More like, before his term ends he will make an executive order for BHO Day!

Great info Burt! I need to do some reading on the man, don't feel like we learned much about him in school or not enough.

19. Burt Gummer

Another go around at a holiday worth having!

Not forgotten. A great man and it is just too bad that he's been replaced by posers and imposters these days.

Nutty4Guns and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

True. If he were still around today, he would have puked on the shoes of the two baiters (Sharpton, Jackson) we have now.

41Slinger and (deleted member) like this.