JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The first try was a stir fry with the meat cubed, second was a slow cooker and a curry that didn't help much. He wasn't old, less than a year.

There's a channel on the ytube Farmstead Meatsmith with a vid on butchering a 4 year old male muscovy and he seemed to think it was more than just edible in the end.

Maybe I just got a bad one. But he needed to go, drama in the duck pen has certainly decreased and the chickens are a lot less nervous without a mad rapist roaming the yard.

And these Muscovites were carrying fully automatic belt fed egg layers? :s0001:
It's a good thing you took care of the head, "Quacker". :s0155:

Funny you say that, made me think back. That would be head "Hisser" No quackers in the Muscovy line. :D

Muscovy duck noises are rarely heard. These birds refrain from vocalization unless there's good reason to do so. To signal ducklings, mothers will emit soft coos, while males hiss or emit puffing sounds during courtship. ...

Funny you say that, made me think back. That would be head "Hisser" No quackers in the Muscovy line. :D

Muscovy duck noises are rarely heard. These birds refrain from vocalization unless there's good reason to do so. To signal ducklings, mothers will emit soft coos, while males hiss or emit puffing sounds during courtship. ...

Males hiss, they even have a happy hiss. The hen trills when being given treats.

The runner ducks quack.

Can you post pics of the slaughter or does that violate rules. Asking for a friend : )

I didn't but this guy does an awesome job of documenting the process.

I had a rooster like that last week. He only attacked me once but always attacks my wife. But last week he felt the need to attack me several times as I was walking around the property....a few minutes later his head fell off. Now things are quite a bit calmer in the chicken coop.
It sounds like he got a little too cocky

I my early to tweens to mid teens a neighbor kid and I got use of an old abandoned milk house in the hood and raised rabbits, some inside and some outside the milk house, in cages we built. The "dog catcher I referenced showed us all we needed to know. Building the cages, nest boxes, and taught us how to slaughter the rabbits. Gosh those were good times! We sold the dressed rabbit fryers to local folks in the hood for $1.89lb, if I remember right. For those years we would get all our breeder does bred at the right time and sell cute little Bunnies for $2,50 each at Easter. I remember having near 150 rabbits at times. Our slaughter processes was one of us hold the rabbit up by the hind legs and the other would swing a club to just above the ears, grab the ears, cut the throat and let them bleed out. I'm not sure I could do that anymore, unless I absolutely had to. Weird thing? I never had one of our rabbits for dinner. I have to figure now, that my parents didn't like what we were doing. :(

We have 5 acres and I figured it would be great to fence the lower meadow and buy a steer. Feed him up, put a bow on his head, you know, name him Daisy or some such. Then knock him on the head and eat him. It was a no-go from mama, though.

G'Damn. Reading things here I never though I'd see. "Corkscrew Penis's" . :s0140:

Those Muscovy's be some fugly ducks. The Animal Control Officer, or "Dog Catcher", in the small community where I grew up lived on a large lot a few houses away from us. ALL kinds of animals. Including some Muscovy's. Some of us neighbor kids used to hang out there a bunch helping him with the chores.
So who wants to be the first to post this in the lines taken out of context thread? Or id it alrwady spammed 10x?

would have made better shoe leather than a meal.
I don't know much about Muscovy's but do know about many of its cousins and for me cooking duck is unlike all other game birds that can be "chickenized" in a recipe. (except for sage hens which I would stew slowly all day) Ducks should never be skinned, always plucked and drawn, then in the refrigerator for one , preferably two days before cooked or frozen (frozen should be in water) the only way to cook (in my opine) is baked whole. Clean, dry and @ room temperature (never cut up or fried) at 400 degrees, 20 min for mallard size 12 min for teal size (adjusting for in between sizes) Stuff them with chopped pepper, onion, celery add a little fresh sage, S & P. Soon as they are done immediately scoop out the still crisp vegetables (use as a salad) split the mallard size in half for each person or one whole teal.
Do not overcook, duck is the opposite of fish, overcooking fish goes mushy but overcooking duck goes tough, and fast.

I don't know much about Muscovy's but do know about many of its cousins and for me cooking duck is unlike all other game birds that can be "chickenized" in a recipe. (except for sage hens which I would stew slowly all day) Ducks should never be skinned, always plucked and drawn, then in the refrigerator for one , preferably two days before cooked or frozen (frozen should be in water) the only way to cook (in my opine) is baked whole. Clean, dry and @ room temperature (never cut up or fried) at 400 degrees, 20 min for mallard size 12 min for teal size (adjusting for in between sizes) Stuff them with chopped pepper, onion, celery add a little fresh sage, S & P. Soon as they are done immediately scoop out the still crisp vegetables (use as a salad) split the mallard size in half for each person or one whole teal.
Do not overcook, duck is the opposite of fish, overcooking fish goes mushy but overcooking duck goes tough, and fast.

The one further thing I heard concerning butchering was allowing the bird to cool after scalding/plucking but before eviscerating it. This allows the warm liquid fat to cool in place making it juicier and solidifying the liver. I didn't do that this time but certainly entertain it on the next out of line quacker.

Tough meat? That's too bad. I raised a Muscovy and butchered it a while back. It ended up needing to be skinned. Pulling the feathers tore up the skin. That was unfortunate as I was looking forward to the rest skin. Nevertheless, the breast meat was red, like steak! I fried it up on the cast iron and it was amazing. The rest of the carcass was used to make a "chicken soup." I'm planning on raising another.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top