JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I love my animals, even the ones that aren't pets. Muscovys are cool, they are one of the few ducks not descended from mallards, my little tiny T-Rexs. But a day comes for everything including this one, a 8 month old drake.

bastard3.png

He's gonna be dinner tonight!

R1930e71159030397994a5d783074515e.jpg

I have some runner ducks that are feather-coated slug-seeking missiles. This guy is a bit lazier, a bully to the other animals and considers all the other ducks and a chicken or 2 to be his harem.

So I'm really lowering the level of testosterone around here.
I had a rooster like that last week. He only attacked me once but always attacks my wife. But last week he felt the need to attack me several times as I was walking around the property....a few minutes later his head fell off. Now things are quite a bit calmer in the chicken coop.

Do the slug eating ducks also eat the sprouts in the garden? Anything that eats slugs has to be a beneficial organism, but if they start eating the sprouts they're no improvement over the slugs (except of course you can't eat slugs and you can eat ducks and chickens).
Even the little birds can do away with a whole planting if measures aren't taken to prevent it.

We kept a beautiful rooster out of a batch of chicks and he was a terror. He knew better than to attack me, but anyone else was fair game. I killed him and life around here is much better. Our hens are a lot happier for sure.

G'Damn. Reading things here I never though I'd see. "Corkscrew Penis's" . :s0140:

Those Muscovy's be some fugly ducks. The Animal Control Officer, or "Dog Catcher", in the small community where I grew up lived on a large lot a few houses away from us. ALL kinds of animals. Including some Muscovy's. Some of us neighbor kids used to hang out there a bunch helping him with the chores.

Do the slug eating ducks also eat the sprouts in the garden? Anything that eats slugs has to be a beneficial organism, but if they start eating the sprouts they're no improvement over the slugs (except of course you can't eat slugs and you can eat ducks and chickens).
Even the little birds can do away with a whole planting if measures aren't taken to prevent it.

I have 4 of the runner ducks, 3 hens and a drake and even hand raised, they shy away from people. They are foragers, the closer space they are in they more damage they do to it. They'll tend to eat the bugs first though, with the girls making almost an egg a day, they are looking for meat.

Years ago, I had a black Cocker Spaniel that had the bad habit of finding old rotten unhatched eggs that were lost and forgotten by the ducks and geese living next door. He would happily retrieve these stink bombs and plop them down at your feet whether he was inside or out.
The smell would clear the house if they broke open.

Butchered, 'B the 3' weighted 7 pounds 4 ounces and was quite possibly the toughest piece of meat I've ever had to chew on. We had enough to make a couple of dishes and Mrs. Labradorian, the fantastic cook that she is, had to admit he would have made better shoe leather than a meal.

Not even stewing huh? I know way back in the day the stores had "Stewing Hens". That's chickens though. And when hens quit laying that's what they became. I guess stewing a duck that old wouldn't work? Just end up with stringy meat that was more suited to weaving fabric than trying to chew and digest?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top