JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And TV stations going off the air for the evening.

The Tom Peterson commercials that were on just before they went off at about 0200 here he was standing there shouting " Wake up !! Wake up and buy this TV !!" We would be sitting there in various liquid and substance induced fogs, knowing full well it was hangover city when we finally came to later in the morning. Then the station signed off and went all test pattern and we all sat there wondering what to do now. Couple more beers and cigarettes and it was all over with.

Wake up 6 or so hours later hurting like hell, hoping there was some Pepsi and left over pizza to have for breakfast, and having a messy house to clean up as well. Couple of people still out on the couch.

Remember those days well, sure as hell don't miss them and wonder how we made it through in one piece to make these old ages.

Tom Peterson....Years ago, (like 25) Wifey picked up a Tom Peterson alarm clock..."Wake up! Hey, wake up to a HAPPY DAY!" is what it said.

We would be sitting there in various liquid and substance induced fogs, knowing full well it was hangover city when we finally came to later in the morning.

Thankfully I got over THOSE years before I moved here in '83....for the most part. :)

The Tom Peterson commercials that were on just before they went off at about 0200 here he was standing there shouting " Wake up !! Wake up and buy this TV !!"

And he would be rapping on the television "screen" while telling you to wake up!

Tom Peterson.....and Gloria too!

I remember watching Portland wrestling way back when. Tom Peterson was the big sponsor.
Once he ran into financial difficulties, Portland wrestling ended since they had lost their
sponsor.

Any one remember the "Portland Sports Arena" where they held matches? It was a run down
converted bowling ally on Chataqua Blvd.

The Tom Peterson commercials that were on just before they went off at about 0200 here he was standing there shouting " Wake up !! Wake up and buy this TV !!" We would be sitting there in various liquid and substance induced fogs, knowing full well it was hangover city when we finally came to later in the morning. Then the station signed off and went all test pattern and we all sat there wondering what to do now. Couple more beers and cigarettes and it was all over with.

Wake up 6 or so hours later hurting like hell, hoping there was some Pepsi and left over pizza to have for breakfast, and having a messy house to clean up as well. Couple of people still out on the couch.

Remember those days well, sure as hell don't miss them and wonder how we made it through in one piece to make these old ages.

Tom Peterson....Years ago, (like 25) Wifey picked up a Tom Peterson alarm clock..."Wake up! Hey, wake up to a HAPPY DAY!" is what it said.

Thankfully I got over THOSE years before I moved here in '83....for the most part. :)

My wife and I bought our first bed from Tom Peterson himself. It was shortly after he went back into business after his original store went bankrupt (and he had to add the "Gloria's Too" to the name). We went in looking for a bed about the time we got married and saw some inexpensive beds in his ad. We went in to check them out and found they were pretty cheap, not just in price, but quality. The salesman tried to push us up to something more expensive, but out of our budget, so we headed for the door. There wasn't much traffic in the store and I don't think Tom wanted anyone to leave without making a purchase. So, old T.P. himself stopped us and took us to the back to show us a mismatched set of a really nice mattress in our budget - better quality than what we could afford otherwise. Shook hands on the deal, and it was a pleasant encounter with this local late-night PDX wrestling advertiser :)

Last Edited:
Wow, this churns up some old memories.

In the 60s, kids in my neighborhood were all within a 3-4 year age range. We'd catch a bus at the Piggly Wiggly and disappear all day (don't believe our parents ever knew exactly where - without sunscreen), to pick berries. With the attention span of a gnat, I was ill-suited to that vocation, and ate probably as much as I turned in for cash. And spent whatever I earned on the way home at A&W.

Salmonriver John, my (foggy) recollection of D-Street Corral came several years later as the electric guitarist in a band playing there in '75-76. Lots of Aerosmith, Montrose and BOC covers.

Last Edited:
Etrain, I put in a summer as a car washer at Friendly Chevrolet in LO. Every week 3-4 of us made a half dozen super high-speed runs in new/used cars along Macadam to Channel 12 where Friendly Joe taped those ads. We should have all been arrested for any number of reasons.

Last Edited:
Any one remember the "Portland Sports Arena" where they held matches? It was a run down
converted bowling ally on Chataqua Blvd.

Yes, went there one time for something after the wrestling thing was done.... I remember, it became Sandy Barr's Flea Market.Now I really miss that place....Still wearing a belt I got there about 20 years ago! i'm pretty sure Sandy Barr's went away due to stolen goods being sold there.

Might be worth some big bucks now.

No "Big Bucks", unfortunately. We researched it year before last and took it to a White Elephant gift exchange. It got "Stolen" several times!

In the Marine Corps I was a repairman for the Marine Tactical Data System (more or less a truck-based AWACS), back in 1968. That computer only used one kind of integrated circuit, a shift register. All the rest of the logic was implemented with discrete components - resistors, transistors and diodes. One 6x7 inch card had six AND gates. :) There was no computer language; you programmed it by putting in ones and zeros via switches and little lights in the main computer hut. There was no disk drive; the storage medium was a drum.

The MTDS was derived from the Navy's NTDS. If you want to read a fascinating story, this is one:
First-Hand:No Damned Computer is Going to Tell Me What to DO - The Story of the Naval Tactical Data System, NTDS - Engineering and Technology History Wiki (http://ethw.org/First-Hand:No_Damned_Computer_is_Going_to_Tell_Me_What_to_DO_-_The_Story_of_the_Naval_Tactical_Data_System,_NTDS)

My first laptop was the Zenith Z181 (IIRC) with only two 720k floppy drives, running DOS of course. I think the main memory was 640k, and the CPU was an Intel 8088. Like this one:
z180pc (http://net2000plus.tripod.com/zenith181.htm)
Ran my home business on that thing...

My first modem was 300 baud, the kind you stuck a phone headset into. Amazing we could get work done at such slow rates. I used it in customer service for a computer company (Floating Point Systems in Beaverton, Oregon, a spin-off of Tektronix).

Later on, I designed an interface to something called an Ibis disk drive, the same drive used by the Cray 1 supercomputer at the time, the highest performing drive in the world. It was about the size of a small refrigerator and held 1.2 Gigabytes. The transfer rate was 10 or 12 megabytes per second.
Cray X-MP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray_X-MP#I.2FO_subsystem)

I'm full of old tech stories... :)
I used to calibrate NTDS systems.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews