JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Someone told me not to sell any of my pistols that were purchased pre I-594 through private to private sale, e.g. no ffl, no paper work etc. Are these really that obscure in the eyes of the law?

Thanks

Last Edited:
Maybe I am mis understanding your post but if I am reading it correctly,
Someone told me not to sell any of my pistols that were purchased pre 1639 through private to private sale, e.g. no ffl, no paper work etc. Are these really that obscure in the eyes of the law?

Thanks
I recommend you read up on current WA gun laws and not post until you fully understand them.

I think what the OP is getting at is that someone advised him not to sell any handguns he purchased prior to 1639 if they were private sales.

I further assume that this is because, due to 1639, there is no such thing as a legal private sale anymore... all require Gov't intervention via ATF, NICS, NCIC, etc. To be completely anonymous requires, what the left calls, a "loophole"*.

*Loophole:
1) Following, to the letter, a law which the left disagrees with, ie: "The Gunshow Loophole".
2) Can be used to describe government incompetence, ie:"The Charleston Loophole".
3) Blatant disregard for a law, ie: "Felons in Chicago exploit a loophole which allows them to buy guns in Indiana and transport them back to Chicago".

Yes, I got my ridiculous initiatives mixed up, my deepest apologies.

Purchases prior to I594 were 100% private. Any big advantage to these over those recorded by ffl, other than no one knows you own them?

Someone told me not to sell any of my pistols that were purchased pre 1639 through private to private sale, e.g. no ffl, no paper work etc. Are these really that obscure in the eyes of the law?

Thanks

Since the 1930s, WA state has kept records of handgun sales that took place through licensed dealers. Until I-594, you could buy a pistol in a private sale and bypass the state's record keeping requirements. This means the state does not know about any pistol you legally bought in a private no-paperwork sale prior to I-594.

Following I-594, all firearms transactions had to go through an FFL, so if you bought a used pistol, the state collects the record of that and the Department of Licensing stores it as it did previous to the law for pistols bought from a dealer.

Following I-1639, the state started collecting and storing purchase records on semi-auto rifles in addition to pistols.

So the way it breaks down:

• pre I-594: only you and the seller know about a private transaction for anything.
  • post I-594: you, the seller, the FFL (and by extension the Feds) know about the transaction for shotguns and rifles, and the state ALSO knows about pistol transactions.
  • post I-1639: you, the seller, the FFL (and by extension the Feds), know about the transaction for shotguns and non-semi-auto rifles, and the state ALSO knows about pistol AND semi-auto rifle transactions.
So yeah, if you have firearms you bought pre-I-594, it makes sense to treasure them.

Yes, I got my ridiculous initiatives mixed up, my deepest apologies.

Purchases prior to I594 were 100% private. Any big advantage to these over those recorded by ffl, other than no one knows you own them?

There was a time when I was young and poor and all my firearms had been either gifted to me as a kiddo, or were bought used because that's how I could afford them. Now I'm on a bunch of confiscation lists. Wish I had been wiser much younger. THE advantage of those privately purchased firearms, is that they aren't on any confiscation list. That's an enormous value, worth more than gun really -- potentially it is the difference between having firearms and not having them.

EDIT: though once you are on any lists, the value of privacy is diminished because they know you have something.

We obviously obey every gun law regardless of how ineffectual and wrong headed they are.

Curious what the OP's questions are trying to ascertain...

I'm not understanding the O.P's questions, and would caution members to be careful about answering questions regarding legalities against the back drop of Washington States Firearms laws! We cannot condone anything that could lead to someone breaking any laws, knowingly or not!
This thread is treading a VERY thin line, so please take care when posting!

No one is actually speaking of breaking laws in this thread.
But...
There are many ways to read into the Thread and its question...Hence the posts about being careful with what one advises or states...

I wouldn't surprised that many people other than Pro-Gun people visit here...and look for "ammo" to use against gun owners.
Andy

There is no discussion about law breaking now, in the past, or in the future. Talking about the value of firearms obtained legally prior to 594. Thos would include FTF sales or the hundreds of thousands of fire arms handed down over the years. Funny thing is the anti gun know they cant get all the guns, so their next target is ammo. Tax it out of business and all those guns will be useless.

Anyway, a simple opinion based question went off the rails with paranoia taking over.

The value is dependent on the usefulness of said firearm...
A gun is a gun no matter when it was obtained.

Now the market value of a gun may vary wildly , depending on the laws in effect , the pending laws , who is in office , what movies are popular , etc...

As for paranoia ....I don't think so , at least in regards to the posts here...
Andy

Legally held off the books firearms are priceless, IMO. I designate those as "pre". They have no value whatsoever. Hence, priceless.

Once transferred these days, there value is whatever the market will bear for them. Which is currently rather low, once time & fees are factored in.

There are many reasons never to sell a firearm. Sentimentality, family, rarity, fit/finish, precision, accuracy etc etc

If one has a tinfoil hat, should one ever sell a "pre" firearm?

Something worth considering for an instant, however that consideration for holding them is not a true feasible reality. And I do in-fact have a tinfoil hat...

9DDFD8FD-7936-4898-92CB-76897C2D14C0.jpeg

If one does not have a tinfoil hat, then it matters not. Those firearms are just a part of a collection as any other firearm.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top