JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a 30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk many years ago. Loudest muzzle blast of any handgun I have ever owned.
Ever shoot a 4" 460S&W Mag with the factory brake? My friend has one and when he touches off a full power load people from down the range come bye to see what gun blew up!!! Ive always wanted to shoot a 30Carbine pistol to compare.

Ever shoot a 4" 460S&W Mag with the factory brake? My friend has one and when he touches off a full power load people from down the range come bye to see what gun blew up!!! Ive always wanted to shoot a 30Carbine pistol to compare.
To get an "idea" shoot one of the AR pistols. Has the same effect. Something about the small light slug moving out at that speed in such a short barrel. Firs time I was next to a guy shooting an AR pistol at the indoor range I thought he must be shooting one of those super mags. Then I saw the .223 brass hitting the floor and realized it was "just a .223". Anyone who keeps one of those at home for home use should keep some muffs next to it. :D
When I was very young buddy got a deal on one of the Ruger's in .30. At the time there was a LOT of the ammo to be had cheap so what a deal. We both could soon see why the previous owner was letting it go. Like so many things as soon as Ruger said they were no longer going to make them EVERYONE suddenly had to have one:D

To get an "idea" shoot one of the AR pistols. Has the same effect. Something about the small light slug moving out at that speed in such a short barrel. Firs time I was next to a guy shooting an AR pistol at the indoor range I thought he must be shooting one of those super mags. Then I saw the .223 brass hitting the floor and realized it was "just a .223". Anyone who keeps one of those at home for home use should keep some muffs next to it. :D
When I was very young buddy got a deal on one of the Ruger's in .30. At the time there was a LOT of the ammo to be had cheap so what a deal. We both could soon see why the previous owner was letting it go. Like so many things as soon as Ruger said they were no longer going to make them EVERYONE suddenly had to have one:D
LOL, I actually put together a 7.5" AR pistol a while back and it is so obnoxious that it's became just a toy. When out in the woods I'll pull it out and do a mag dump to "get" everyone's attention and that's about all it's good for.

full power load people from down the range come bye to see what gun blew up!!!
some guy at regular IHMSA matches would pull out a short barrel Contender & shoot AA class scores. It was an odd ball caliber that simply was so astronomically loud people on the line would complain & move away from him. At least once the Match Director asked him to put it away & use something else. He seemed immune to the blast & concussion. I don't recall this caliber right now. Some kind of middle-bore bottle neck shape.

some guy at regular IHMSA matches would pull out a short barrel Contender & shoot AA class scores. It was an odd ball caliber that simply was so astronomically loud people on the line would complain & move away from him. At least once the Match Director asked him to put it away & use something else. He seemed immune to the blast & concussion. I don't recall this caliber right now. Some kind of middle-bore bottle neck shape.
He could have got a Mini 14. They were always great for chasing people on your right away from you for a few stations as brass rained down on them :s0140:

I have a three screw Blackhawk in 30 carbine. The muzzle blast isn't to bad. About the same as a 357 maximum.
Thank you, sir. I agree. I have a .30 carbine Blackhawk as well. I have shot it for years. Mostly 70s Korean surplus, but also with commercial ammunition - Remington mostly. I've never had anyone at the range look up or take the slightest bit of notice. No difference between that report and one from a short barreled .357 magnum. Definitely less noise and muzzle blast than from a .44 magnum. Recoil is surprisingly mild. A lot of people mention stuck or hard to eject cases but I've never had a problem. I've never tried steel cased ammo in it, tho.

I think Magnum Research should build one it would probably be a good autoloader I know the 44/41 I have is flawless with the reloads I've developed

So, I have kinda-sorta been on a .30 Carbine kick lately. There is one carbine currently in the battery, with another so chambered in process. I see that, over the decades, there have been a small number of handguns so chambered. I've successfully avoided the temptation to acquire one of those wacky, possibly totally impractical Enforcers.

Any handguns — be they automatics (e.g., AMTs, Enforcers, et al.), revolvers (such as Ruger's offerings), single shots (like Thompson Center's offerings), derringers (like the American Derringer Model 1) — in .30 Carbine you like? Any you avoid? Care to share any pics?

Thanks!

More! MORE!!! Tell us MORE!!!
What is this 44/41 of which you speak???
Tje Desert Eagle is the first gen when I purchased it there was a spot in the box for another barrel and bolt the outside had both 44 and 41 mag checked a few years later at the Portland gun show found a 41 mag barrel and bolt so now I have both 👍🎉👍

Now I'm starting to wonder if my impression of the blast was influenced by a lack of reference points. Not many 7.5" AR's, or 2" 357 mags for that matter
Could well be. First time I got to shoot a stubby .357 if was the pain in my hand that made the biggest impression. Damn thing had wood grips and was just plain painful to shoot. The Ruger buddy had in .30 recoil was super easy to deal with in the large heavy gun like that. Man did it have an impressive fireball when it started to get low light :D

I have the Blackhawk in 30 Carbine. It is loud with a vicious super-sonic crack to it. I wear foam plugs and ear muffs when I shoot it. But then I double up on the hearing protection when I shoot and super-sonic loads anyway. I was going to take it sage rat hunting and have a bunch of the Speer half jacketed hollow points loaded up that ought to do the job out to 100 yds.

Edited to add that it shoots a 100gr bullet at about 1800 fps out of a 7 1/2" barrel.

Last Edited:
I am old enought to remember when they started production of stainless steel guns. Most of the companies were of course new to the manufacturing so there were some start up bumps that happened. The most common in semi autos was galling and the average new buyer didn't lube his new gun enough which made it worse. Some owners were really good on keeping things lubricated on those guns still run well today.
The first stainless auto's were soft steel and galling was a problem. My Dad bought one of the first AMT Hardballers that would run good for a short while and then hang up - wouldn't completely lock up. I inherited it and disassembled it, polished out the galling marks and used Slip2000 grease on the slide to frame areas. It now runs great all of the time.

Nope, but I had the same gun in 500. Biggest boom and fireball of anything I've owned/shot. I loved it. My friends didn't.

Nope, but I had the same gun in 500. Biggest boom and fireball of anything I've owned/shot. I loved it. My friends didn't.
Yep, here's my 500, only it has an 8 3/8" barrel.
19E03573-6E71-4A59-9F45-2B4F15F82D66.png

I had a 30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk many years ago. Loudest muzzle blast of any handgun I have ever owned.
I have that exact same pistol right now with an 8 inch barrel and it is like a cannon going off. The two times I have fired it at an outdoor range, every single person has stopped what they are doing and turned to look at me :)

An article I read several years ago, I believe it was in Handloader, discussed working up loads in both the Ruger revolver and the automag semi auto. The automag lost it's extractor early on and was thus rendered dysfunctional. The Ruger had ignition issues because the round headspaced on the rim. Overall my impression is that neither weapon was really useful or practical.

An article I read several years ago, I believe it was in Handloader, discussed working up loads in both the Ruger revolver and the automag semi auto. The automag lost it's extractor early on and was thus rendered dysfunctional. The Ruger had ignition issues because the round headspaced on the rim. Overall my impression is that neither weapon was really useful or practical.
I have a Ruger and know others with them as well. When loading for them you do have to pay attention to what you are doing, the case trim to length, amount and kind of powder, bullet shape and seating depth and finally the correct amount of taper crimp. All must be right and then you'll have as I do an accurate out to 100 yds varmint hunting revolver. Is that useful or practical, I don't know, but it sure is fun.

Last Edited:
One of the first centerfire handguns I ever purchased new was a AMT in 30 Carbine. I think I was 22 at the time . Rod and gun club while I was in the Army in Germany. Paid like 3 weeks take home for it. Worst money Ive ever spent besides my first weddings preacher fees. Got in an argument with that douche about his God.

I have a Ruger and know others with them as well. When loading for them you do have to pay attention to what you are doing, the case trim to length, amount kind and of powder, bullet shape and seating depth and finally the correct amount of taper crimp. All must be right and then you'll have as I do an accurate out to 100 yds varmint hunting revolver. Is that useful or practical, I don't know, but it sure is fun.
Sounds like you have put a lot of time working up loads for your Ruger. My Rugers aren't 100 yard varmint guns, but out to 50 yards with my reloads work well enough. I have never had a problem.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top