JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I have kinda-sorta been on a .30 Carbine kick lately. There is one carbine currently in the battery, with another so chambered in process. I see that, over the decades, there have been a small number of handguns so chambered. I've successfully avoided the temptation to acquire one of those wacky, possibly totally impractical Enforcers.

Any handguns — be they automatics (e.g., AMTs, Enforcers, et al.), revolvers (such as Ruger's offerings), single shots (like Thompson Center's offerings), derringers (like the American Derringer Model 1) — in .30 Carbine you like? Any you avoid? Care to share any pics?

Thanks!

Riddle me this: better or worse, muzzle blast wise, as a .30/30 WCF wheelgun?

oh-tan-grande-jpg.jpg

More seriously; did they ever make an autoloader in .30 Carbine that didn't suck? Seems like it would be doable but I'm not sure. The Kimball Arms offering, for example, looks neat but was a disaster.

Many of the others are very niche (read: very $$$). Dunno if L.A.R. or Coonan ever made one. The virtually unknown Kimball is very rare and fragile. Too bad it was under-developed, as it was the only handsome semi in .30 Carbine. If only an H&K type fluted chamber had been tried. As to the .30 Carbine Enforcer, I think it was the first of the CCPs - Carbine Caliber Pistols.

The AMT was the one I was most familiar with. Tempting, but concerned about quality control. My father had a few of their guns (albeit not in .30 Carbine), as well as some other relation; all were decidedly mixed, at best, in the results. They put out some neat looking guns though. :D

I had an Automag II in 22 Magnum. I only sold it because I wanted to treat it like a 22LR, but plinking wasn't cheap. It was a bit picky about rim diameter and with the right ammo was a fun, reliable gun.

One of my friends has an Automag III, and even though he says "everything's for sale", I can't get him to part with it.
I knew you were curious about one, @CountryGent , and asked him the last time I was visiting. "No, That one's not for sale".
Dang it! He does have a Broomhandle and a couple of Lugers I'm kinda interested in, though.

I have a three screw Blackhawk in 30 carbine. The muzzle blast isn't to bad. About the same as a 357 maximum.
I had one of the SRMs with the 10.5" barrel. I can only imagine what it would have been like out of a 6" barrel, but it's rare enough most people don't have a point of reference. Let's just say it's louder than most any other handgun.

I am old enought to remember when they started production of stainless steel guns. Most of the companies were of course new to the manufacturing so there were some start up bumps that happened. The most common in semi autos was galling and the average new buyer didn't lube his new gun enough which made it worse. Some owners were really good on keeping things lubricated on those guns still run well today.

So, I have kinda-sorta been on a .30 Carbine kick lately. There is one carbine currently in the battery, with another so chambered in process. I see that, over the decades, there have been a small number of handguns so chambered. I've successfully avoided the temptation to acquire one of those wacky, possibly totally impractical Enforcers.

Any handguns — be they automatics (e.g., AMTs, Enforcers, et al.), revolvers (such as Ruger's offerings), single shots (like Thompson Center's offerings), derringers (like the American Derringer Model 1) — in .30 Carbine you like? Any you avoid? Care to share any pics?

Thanks!

I have a Ruger Blackhawk, I have developed a very nice 125gr FPHP round for it.

The one I have always wanted to find is the Taurus Raging Thirty a full sized 8 rd double action revolver with a ribbed 10" barrel

The AMT Automag III has a very wide (front to back) grip that unless you have long fingers can be a handful. I have handled a couple in the past.

The AMT was the one I was most familiar with. Tempting, but concerned about quality control. My father had a few of their guns (albeit not in .30 Carbine), as well as some other relation; all were decidedly mixed, at best, in the results. They put out some neat looking guns though. :D
That was the BIG problem with AMT. The guys who started it had some great ideas. Often they lacked QC as things kept changing hands. They cranked out a lot of great guns but, sadly many lemons made it out the door. They were real big on the stainless 1911's. They were early to the game of selling a 1911 that had what at the time were only seen on custom pistols. Done factory the price was only a fraction of what it cost to take a standard Colt and have the work done. Problem of course was too many got one that just would not work 🤬
Soon many would not even try one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads