JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm having a hard time breaking this down. The Title of this section on their website is "Places off limits..." but then section 166.370 (3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to: (d) clearly states : "A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun."

So where exactly are we NOT allowed to carry? I'm sure this has been ran over with a truck on this forum but I'm not finding a clear answer in the threads I have searched.

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License

166.370 Possession of Firearm or Dangerous Weapon in Public Building or Court Facility; Exceptions; Discharging Firearm at School.

(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:

(A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the firearm to a law enforcement officer.

(B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility may be required to surrender the weapon to a law enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the court facility. A person who fails to comply with this subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.

(b) The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a court facility.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(a) A sheriff, police officer, other duly appointed peace officers or a corrections officer while acting within the scope of employment.

(b) A person summoned by a peace officer to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace, while the summoned person is engaged in assisting the officer.

(c) An active or reserve member of the military forces of this state or the United States, when engaged in the performance of duty.

(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

(e) A person who is authorized by the officer or agency that controls the public building to possess a firearm or dangerous weapon in that public building.

ref: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

are we not allowed to carry in any public building? If we are allowed, then it also looks like you can carry in a court room being that there is an exception. And schools?

No federal buildings-fed. courthouse, post office, social security office, etc.
No state, county,or city courthouse or jail or police station.
public schools are OK to carry into except the staff.
any bussness with posted policy of no weapons is off limits.
hospitals are a no no.

I'm sure I missed something.

You may want to get a book like this mentioned in another thread.....Oregon Firearms Federation

Your just missing the structure of the statute.

Subsection (1) - Don't carry guns or use dangerous weapons in public buildings.
Subsection (2) - Don't carry guns or other weapons in Courthouses.
Subsection (3) - Subsection (1) doesn't apply to the following things:
... Permit Holders....

So the exceptions listed in subsection 3 only exempt you out of subsection 1 (public buildings) but doesn't exempt you out of subsection 2 (courthouses).

Hope that helps...

Where does it say not in a hospital in OR? Here in WA the only thing they can do is ask you to leave, if you refuse then they can have you arrested for trespassing only.

8 former US Presidents have been NRA Members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Your just missing the structure of the statute.

Subsection (1) - Don't carry guns or use dangerous weapons in public buildings.
Subsection (2) - Don't carry guns or other weapons in Courthouses.
Subsection (3) - Subsection (1) doesn't apply to the following things:
... Permit Holders....

So the exceptions listed in subsection 3 only exempt you out of subsection 1 (public buildings) but doesn't exempt you out of subsection 2 (courthouses).

Hope that helps...

Yes that specificaly clears up my confusion...Thank You

Where does it say not in a hospital in OR? Here in WA the only thing they can do is ask you to leave, if you refuse then they can have you arrested for trespassing only.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

I am also wondering about this because my girlfriend works in the field and I visit the hospital often. And she is about to get her chl/pistol as well. Let us know...

are we not allowed to carry in any public building? If we are allowed, then it also looks like you can carry in a court room being that there is an exception. And schools?

hahaaha, well I can guaruntee you can probably do it once lol.....
Also, I don't know how many of you have been to court lately, but all the ones I have been to you have to pass through a safety screening first, similar to an airport. Your concealed wouldn't even make it through the front doors.

No federal buildings-fed. courthouse, post office, social security office, etc.
No state, county,or city courthouse or jail or police station.
public schools are OK to carry into except the staff.
any bussness with posted policy of no weapons is off limits.
hospitals are a no no.

I'm sure I missed something.

You may want to get a book like this mentioned in another thread.....Oregon Firearms Federation

Does Or. give a a sign that says no firearms weight of law, is it considered notice for trespass purposes? In Wa. we have to be personally notified by an employee that we are not allowed to have a firearm and requested to leave. Even if it is posted.

I'm not aware of any federal law against carrying in a hospital. It is a public building under Oregon law, so it is illegal unless you have a permit. That being said, make sure it isn't the Veteran's hospital or some other federal facility.

I am also wondering about this because my girlfriend works in the field and I visit the hospital often. And she is about to get her chl/pistol as well. Let us know...

...make sure it isn't the Veteran's hospital or some other federal facility.

Yeah, that one really bothers me. My wife works graveyard and buses in to work with a 15-45 minute wait time at the downtown transit station. Exactly when and where I want her to be unarmed. I wish they had some provision for allowing CHL holder employees to carry to a certain point and lock away their weapons. As it is if you even set a toe on the property, that's property mind you not the hospital itself, you're in violation.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

It's the same in Or.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

Where is the **** with all the laws and where are the I will carry anywere I damn please!!!!!! I miss those posts. It's my right to carry in the White House if you visit. Are people starting to realize that not everywhere is your property? Just wondering because like I said I miss the posts I carry anywhere I feel like because it is my right!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the hospital there are signs at all entrances and say firearms and weapons are illegal to possess and my wife happens to work there and several people have been arrested for bringing firearms there. Hospital employees call the police and and they come and take care of it. She worked in tthe ER for 2 years and still have friends that see the cops all the time arresting peole. Those saying they can just ask you to leave I don't believe is always the case but keep carrying and keep us informedl

So after reading the book/laws it does not state hospitals are off limits as the permit trumps the law against carrying into them.

If your girlfriend gets her permit it does not overide any employer rules of not having firearms at work, she could be fired still.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top