JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do have my cpl. I did ask of it goes over 30 days they assured me I wouldn't have to start over....so I guess I'll just keep calling back each day until they get tired of hearing from me lol
squeaky wheel and all :D
Next purchase try to find a dealer who will just let you walk after the 10. Many say they will. Who the hell knows how long it took the CLEO here to give the blessing on the last one I bought. Shop may still be waiting :s0140:
Then there is of course always build your own on some stuff. Now that I finally tried my hand at it I foresee a lot more of them in my house :D

I do have my cpl. I did ask of it goes over 30 days they assured me I wouldn't have to start over....so I guess I'll just keep calling back each day until they get tired of hearing from me lol

From what i went through, after 30 days i had to redo the paperwork and the FFL had to resubmit. Don't ask me why the second time around it took a little over 1 week to get the "approval" returned.

The law says they "can" proceed. That does not mean they will. Next buy would be wise to ask up front, so if this takes more than 10 Bus days what happens? Some dealers will let the sale go through, some are afraid to so they say no. Of course the time to ask is before the money changes hands. Hopefully this one will get done and next time you will know what to check first. Sucks big time but this is what the voters here wanted.

The law says "shall" complete the transfer later in the same statute- it's been posted numerous times here. Shall is directive and leaves no room for discretion. Any dealer that doesn't release after 10 days is violation of RCW. The only question is what, if anything, the DoL or ATF would do if a consumer filed a complaint.

JSTUCK64 has a few options:
- show the dealer the RCW and ask that they follow the law.
- if they won't, I recommend filing complaints with the WA DoL and ATF, naming and shaming them here and on the WA Guns Reddit, telling anyone you know not to shop there, and never shopping there again yourself.
- if you actually bought from them vs. a transfer and paid with a credit card, you can dispute the charge. Sending your card merchant a copy of the RCW and saying the dealer won't release will be all the justification they will need to process the refund. They will give it all back to you regardless of if the dealer has a restocking fee policy or not.

The law says "shall" complete the transfer later in the same statute- it's been posted numerous times here. Shall is directive and leaves no room for discretion. Any dealer that doesn't release after 10 days is violation of RCW. The only question is what, if anything, the DoL or ATF would do if a consumer filed a complaint.

JSTUCK64 has a few options:
- show the dealer the RCW and ask that they follow the law.

You can beat this dead horse a few times a month and its still never going to change anything. If it makes you feel better, then great. We have been over it multiple times with FFL Dealers. You don't like the answer they give so keep beating that horse. <shrug>:s0013:

Personally I will not try to harm any FFL who holds it past the 10th day, that's a Blue Falcon move. If the extra days bother you that much, consider telling them the law allows them to release on day 11 unless a hold is issued under the RCWs, and that if they continue desiring to hold it out of store policy that the next purchase may be made elsewhere. Trying to get their license yanked because their store policy annoys you? We need to keep local FFLs in business.

Personally I will not try to harm any FFL who holds it past the 10th day, that's a Blue Falcon move. If the extra days bother you that much, consider telling them the law allows them to release on day 11 unless a hold is issued under the RCWs, and that if they continue desiring to hold it out of store policy that the next purchase may be made elsewhere. Trying to get their license yanked because their store policy annoys you? We need to keep local FFLs in business.
I suppose if some state agency did threaten to lean on FFL's it would cause law makers to work at record speed. I can just see the headlines,
"STATE AGENCY FORCING GUN DEALERS TO SELL GUNS BEFORE BACK GROUND CHECKS ARE DONE!!!
Bureaucrats would be running from cameras everywhere as all the media would be waving mics at them, why are you ordering gun dealers to sell guns to people who should not have them?
Governor would be threatening to fire people and make up some executive order, Legislature would be in emergency session to type up some new law, and who knows what it would say. That anyone thinks the State is going to order Firearms Dealers to sell guns faster is quite the laugh considering how this state feels about guns.

You can beat this dead horse a few times a month and its still never going to change anything. If it makes you feel better, then great. We have been over it multiple times with FFL Dealers. You don't like the answer they give so keep beating that horse. <shrug>:s0013:

If you stop providing misinformation by telling posters that FFLs have a choice, I'll stop correcting you.

The law is the law. You could be honest and explain it to them and say you don't think it's enforced; but instead you intentionally ignore the section that makes it clear a transfer is not optional and quote a different passage as if it is difinitive. Is there a reason you are doing this?

The irony isn't lost on me that you frequently post that it's the fault of all the gun owners who voted for politicians who support gun control that we're in this situation- ignoring all arguments that it's a futile effort because we don't have the numbers and that no one has met these mythical gun owners voting against their interests.

When I post tangible ways one can combat dealers imposing their own made up gun control policies you immediately became the most aggressive voice against it, saying that it's a futile effort without ever even trying. Hypocrite much?

Here's the thing, the law doesn't "allow" them to complete the transfer, it compels them to. They legally have no choice. They're the ones being the blue falcon by adding their own private gun control measure in the vain attempt to avoid consequences if a a gun they sell is ever used in a crime. Pro-tip: everyone from the manufacturer to the end user will probably get sued in that circumstance; following the law is your best defense, and the "extra mile" they're going won't help.

This isn't the sisterhood of the travelling pants; just because you sell guns doesn't mean we're bros. Dicks also sells guns and made some store policies too- do you share a kinship with them and wish them the best?

FFLs sell a product I happen to want. Break the law in a way that disadvantages me? You can bet I'll file a complaint with anyone that regulates you. The fact that you sell guns makes you no different than an insurance company or anyone else that I've complained about.

FFLs should be releasing them after the required hold is satisfied, regardless the status of the BGC. This isn't a loophole. It's a provision intentionally built in so that the .gov can't indefinitely suspend ones rights by never giving a proceed.

Although they should be releasing them, I dont believe they are legally compelled to do so.

FFLs should be releasing them after the required hold is satisfied, regardless the status of the BGC. This isn't a loophole. It's a provision intentionally built in so that the .gov can't indefinitely suspend ones rights by never giving a proceed.

Although they should be releasing them, I dont believe they are legally compelled to do so.

It is required that they release after ten days:
RCW 9.42.090 section 6C
The dealer shall deliver the pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle to the purchaser following the period of time specified in this chapter unless the dealer is notified of an investigative hold under subsection (5) of this section in writing by the chief of police of the municipality, the sheriff of the county, or the state, whichever is applicable, or of the denial of the purchaser's application to purchase and the grounds thereof.

"Shall" is directive when used in statute.

This is why posting this info is not beating a dead horse; Alexx1401's protestations not withstanding. There are people still unaware of the law.

If/why/how/ why not the ATF and WA DoL are enforcing it is another topic entirely.

You're cutting off your nose to spite your face. As the saying goes, "just because you can doesn't mean you should."

Are you though? Let's look at some possible scenarios:

- the WA DoL/ATF receive some complaints and do nothing. No change to the status quo.

- the WA DoL/ATF receive some complaints and send a "knock it off letter." Instantly problems with dealers holding past the 10 days disappear.

- the WA DoL/ATF receive some complaints and actually put a couple dealers out of business over them. This is extremely unlikely. Remaining dealers instantly stop holding guns past the 10 days. Life goes on, and other stores absorb their business; and frankly, this wouldn't have been a problem for them if they had just followed the damn law.

- Alexx1401's fantasy nightmare scenario where the legislature takes action happens. The requirement to release at 10 days is removed, and everyone has to wait until the background check is done. we lose few the dealers currently doing it the right way, but, based on the complaints here it will remain the same as today at the majority of dealers not releasing until the background check is completed.

I only see one scenario where anything gets worse for gun buyers, and it's far-fetched. It's far more likely that nothing changes or the WA DoL/ATF do their job and enforce the law.

I know it's the fashion to imagine a deep state where mid-level bureaucrats abuse their position to enforce extra gun control on us, but you might be surprised to find that the majority of government employees actually do the job they're paid for and try and enforce the law as written. I certainly see very little risk to rolling the dice and trying.

To be fair, Alexx1401 does have one good point: you can save yourself the fight if you ask your dealer upfront if they will release at 10 days. If they say no take your business elsewhere and let them know why.

Money is a powerful motivator and they may correct their policies on their own if they lose enough business this way.

I paid for one on the 22nd and traded for one on the 23rd, I'm also in Pierce county. We shall see where I end up on the list

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top