JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wasn't sure I'd ever buy another pistol in this state again, but I said screw it and bought a G43x on 10/8. I got the call today. 15 days in Spokane county. What a bunch of BS. I'd have canceled if it went much longer. Some of you guys waiting over a month have my sympathy.
Sadly unless enough voters push the State this is what it is. For anyone buying now? The best solution is ask first, before the money goes down. The FFL "can" let the gun go after the 10 bus. days and some will. The time to ask about this is of course before people plunk the cash down.

Well, checked on another purchase, wondering WTF is going on. Paperwork initially filled out 9/13. Redid paperwork yesterday.

Maybe, JUST MAYBE, I'll get my gun by Christmas! :mad:

I purchased a handgun on October 12. That was a Saturday. I live in Renton. It is now the first of November and I'm still waiting for background check to clear. When I called the store, they told me Renton PD was still waiting for my DSHS forms. This is a long wait. Going on 15 business day's or 20 days including the weekends.

I purchased a handgun on October 12. That was a Saturday. I live in Renton. It is now the first of November and I'm still waiting for background check to clear. When I called the store, they told me Renton PD was still waiting for my DSHS forms. This is a long wait. Going on 15 business day's or 20 days including the weekends.
Weird I am 10 buisness days every time. My LGS would realease on the 11th day anyway though.

Thats BS. DSHS is a state agency. I've heard several agencies blame DSHS. If it was DSHS, why do some counties get BGC done in a few days? I've had BGC done from Thurston County and Olympia PD and never waited more than 4 business days.

If you read my original post i was simply asking if the law imposed a wait time on pistols. And if so what were people seeing for times. Personally i have no problem waiting for a gun. If the law keeps people from shooting up schools and businesses I'm all for it
Frankly I DO have a problem with waiting for a gun purchase to go thru... and such laws have NOT demonstrated an ability to stop ANY shootings... What part of "Shall NOT be infringed" don't some people understand?

Thats BS. DSHS is a state agency. I've heard several agencies blame DSHS. If it was DSHS, why do some counties get BGC done in a few days? I've had BGC done from Thurston County and Olympia PD and never waited more than 4 business days.
King county makes me wait the max. It realeses at about 3pm on the 10th day everytime.

There used to be an old joke commercial about Ma Bell, before they were broken up. "We don't care because we don't have to." It's the same thing with these local Gov agencies. Many are staffed with people who don't care because they don't have to. Some of course are great but, if some can not be fired no matter how poor their performance, well this is what you get. Again the reason for all this mess is just like the reason the TSA keeps threatening WA that our ID's will no longer get us on a plane eventually. The voters don't care enough to force the issue. If a few elected people started getting kicked out, the rest would suddenly start to do their job. Unless that happens, why care?

There used to be an old joke commercial about Ma Bell, before they were broken up. "We don't care because we don't have to." It's the same thing with these local Gov agencies. Many are staffed with people who don't care because they don't have to. Some of course are great but, if some can not be fired no matter how poor their performance, well this is what you get. Again the reason for all this mess is just like the reason the TSA keeps threatening WA that our ID's will no longer get us on a plane eventually. The voters don't care enough to force the issue. If a few elected people started getting kicked out, the rest would suddenly start to do their job. Unless that happens, why care?

I'm just saying that every PD or SO that does a BGC uses the same DSHS. If PD #1 gets them done in 4 days using DSHS, how does PD #2 justify blaming DSHS?

10 day waiting periods, then releasing? I've waited NO LESS than 14/15 days. With these recent 2 purchases I've been waiting MUCH longer! The last instance, the 30 day limit expired and i was told I had to do the paperwork again. :mad:

Good for you guys getting yours much sooner. :(

10 day waiting periods, then releasing? I've waited NO LESS than 14/15 days. With these recent 2 purchases I've been waiting MUCH longer! The last instance, the 30 day limit expired and i was told I had to do the paperwork again. :mad:

Good for you guys getting yours much sooner. :(

I will ask my FFL since I am no expert. He is prettyon top of the laws though. The only reason they should hold it after 10 business days is when the local agency puts a hold on you. He has told me DSHS has three days to respond so bare minimum is three days. I do have a friend that came up on the 30 day mark and it was because his FFL misplaced the proceed paperwork. My buddy just wasnt on top of them.

I'm just saying that every PD or SO that does a BGC uses the same DSHS. If PD #1 gets them done in 4 days using DSHS, how does PD #2 justify blaming DSHS?
You work in Gov. Surely you see how some could just care less because they don't have to. Sadly a lot of good people work there too but, it's often all but impossible to get rid of bad ones. The offices who are taking forever to do these checks, who knows what's really wrong. My best guess is they blame something like DSHS because it sounds good. After all if the real problem is they have a couple incompetent / and or lazy people working there who they can't fire they sure don't want to tell people that's what 's wrong ;)

Today is day #30 for my handgun purchase.
Called my ffl and was told that my county still hasn't approved my background check.
Why am I still waiting?
I thought the RCW stated that after 10 business if no response is given they can proceed and deliver the handgun.?
Can anyone shed some light for me
The law says they "can" proceed. That does not mean they will. Next buy would be wise to ask up front, so if this takes more than 10 Bus days what happens? Some dealers will let the sale go through, some are afraid to so they say no. Of course the time to ask is before the money changes hands. Hopefully this one will get done and next time you will know what to check first. Sucks big time but this is what the voters here wanted.

Alexx
Thanks for shedding some light for me,
I didnt know which questions to ask, now I do.
Not that were over the 30 day mark what question do I ask....I thought the county had to respond in 30 days...
I am pretty sure after 30 days the who thing has to be done again. I would ask this first. Also do you have a CPL? If so the next thing would be see if dealer will let you go after the 10. If you can show you have a CPL I would guess many would be more willing to let it go since you had the check done for the CPL. If not, see if this one will give you your money back. If not all you can do is stick it out until it goes through. Last one we bought the dealer let us have it even though he had not gotten the proceed but they know us. This whole thing is a steaming pile but, it is what it is for now. Come election time I keep hoping more will wake the hell up before it gets worse. :s0054:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top