JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As most know (and some love) there are a great variety of shooting sports featuring the handgun, such as bullseye, IPSC, IDPA, steel challenge, ICORE, metallic silhouettes, CAS, bowling pins, etc.

Beyond the fun factor, which ones do you think are most germane to preparation for a disaster? We'll define "disaster" as an event disruptive enough that life will not be "normal" for many days or weeks, if not much longer. And the definition of a handgun sport is straight forward; must involve handguns (pistol, revolver, derringer, machine-pistol, etc.) and be an organized sport of sorts.

Enjoy. :)

Me thinks that.....
It's all good. As long as you actually get out there and do some shooting.

Yeah....there are plenty of those guys.....who buy up kit and stuff, get ready for it by doing some reading on the sport, and even join up with various clubs. But then......how often do they actually participate?

Aloha, Mark

LOL.
1656731269563.png
1656731339387.png
1656731653246.png

Whatever....they're NOT behind some video screen.

Aloha, Mark

Isnt this like the whole point of IDPA?
I think it was meant to be a one-stop shop at the inception. Now, it's a game just like anything else. Some of the practices regarding the use of concealment and barriers wouldn't be tactically sound in a gunfight. However, to make things safe and less subjective in regards to scoring, it's kind of necessary to be less than realistic.

BUT, the value is there. Learning movement and tactics makes you better at moving and putting yourself in a good position, but it doesn't train you how to shoot. Competitive shooting is great at measuring your ability to run the gun at speed and under some stress. The best thing to do is study and practice tactics, and find activities that improve your gun handling skills.

Last Edited:
Isnt this like the whole point of IDPA?
I think it was at the inception. Now, it's a game just like anything else. Some of the practices regarding the use of concealment and barriers wouldn't be tactically sound in a gunfight. However, to make things safe and less subjective in regards to scoring, it's kind of necessary to be less than realistic.
I would lean towards IDPA and USPSA. I've heard that IDPA has become sort of a game, like NoRegerts says, but from what I've seen of the CoFs at my range for USPSA, it's pretty much like a single-story house clearing. Lots of hostages and no-shoots; corners, hallways, and windows; swingers, drop-turners, falling silhouettes, etc.

Last Edited:
I would lean towards IDPA and USPSA. I've heard that IDPA has become sort of a game, like NoRegerts says, but from what I've seen of the CoFs at my range for USPSA, it's pretty much like a single-story house clearing. Lots of hostages, no-shoots, swingers, falling silhouettes, etc.
I think the biggest mistake is trying to get it all in one activity. When I played baseball growing up, lifting weights made me stronger and batting practice made me a better hitter. Just one or the other would have made me less complete.

Disaster prep? Farming, gardening, camping gear & skills, construction, EMT, ER docs & nurses, electrical, infectious disease protocols, plumbing, also plumbing, and probably plumbing.

How many gunfights would you expect (not hope) to make it thru? 0-1, regular participation in any of the games is probably good enough if you are level-headed, decisive and lucky. More than 1 gunfight, and I'd say all bets are off. Might as well focus on just doing it like the John Wick movies.

How about reality based training, force on force and such? I can't get past all the sport gheyass rules, not having a loaded gun in my holster and someone always wanting to look at my chamber.

Disaster prep? Farming, gardening, camping gear & skills, construction, EMT, ER docs & nurses, electrical, infectious disease protocols, plumbing, also plumbing, and probably plumbing.

How many gunfights would you expect (not hope) to make it thru? 0-1, regular participation in any of the games is probably good enough if you are level-headed, decisive and lucky. More than 1 gunfight, and I'd say all bets are off. Might as well focus on just doing it like the John Wick movies.
Jim Cirillo survived over 20 gunfights. :s0092:

How about reality based training, force on force and such? I can't get past all the sport gheyass rules, not having a loaded gun in my holster and someone always wanting to look at my chamber.
Sounds like you've got some real chamber Nazis at your events. Haven't run into that at my range. Sure, we walk around between stages with the mag out of the gun. But we load/make ready, run the CoF, and then eject and show clear ONE TIME at the end of the CoF and that's it.
No chamber Nazis checkin' on ya after that.

Sounds like you've got some real chamber Nazis at your events. Haven't run into that at my range. Sure, we walk around between stages with the mag out of the gun. But we load/make ready, run the CoF, and then eject and show clear ONE TIME at the end of the CoF and that's it.
No chamber Nazis checkin' on ya after that.
That's one time too many and completely non-reality based. If you can't safely handle a loaded weapon surrounded by people then you can't do it for real.

Nope, he died in what kills by far more Americans each year over firearms, an auto accident.
Seem to recall it was his fault. Veered in to the path of an 18-wheeler or some such. Fell asleep at the wheel? Heart attack? FIddlin' with the car audio? :s0092:

That's one time too many and completely non-reality based.
Well, I imagine it's cuz they have to maintain some level of safety with 50+ people walking around packing heat.
And the "show clear" is after all the shooting is done, so it's not like that's any part of reality training. :s0092:
If you can't safely handle a loaded weapon surrounded by people then you can't do it for real.
No argument there. But again, I think it's a safety-based thing. All it takes is one ND and TPTB will be looking to shut the place down.

Well, I imagine it's cuz they have to maintain some level of safety with 50+ people walking around packing heat.
And the "show clear" is after all the shooting is done, so it's not like that's anys part of reality training. :s0092:
I don't want nor need a baby sitter and if 50+ people do, than I don't want to be around them.

We do force on force training quite a bit. The thing I see is you find out who shoots and who doesn't real quick. It also shows who doesn't study tactics. IMO, it's more of a means of measuring skill in those areas and building on a foundation.

I think anything that gets you out shooting and hitting what you shoot at is the best training. I'd offer that humanly harvesting game is more important to me than room clearing as far as training in my fantasy disaster planing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top