JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I couldn't find any old threads --

Are there ranges in the Portland area where one can rent handguns to try? I'm thinking 'The Place To Shoot' out towards Jantzen Beach does, tho' their website doesn't tell much. Are there others?

MrB+
--
Working my way up to an A--

The Place to Shoot does indeed. If you're not a member there, and/or don't have your own gun with you, then I think they require you have a second person there with you for "safety" (something to do with keeping random idiots from coming in to rent a gun and do something stupid...not sure exactly how it is any different if the idiot has a friend with him). You have to buy ammo and targets from them, on top of paying the range fee (regardless of if you are renting or not).

The English Pit/Clark County Gun Club on 192nd in Vancouver also rents, but only on weekends and with prior arrangement (because they don't store them on site). It's hard to find details about it on their website, so here's a direct link: Clark County Gun Club - CCGC Gun & Accessory Rental Program You have to buy the ammo from them for their guns, but can shoot your own ammo through your own guns. I can see and agree with the logic of using their ammo in their guns...I would feel the same way if you wanted to shoot my gun.

There may be others...those are just the only two I've had experience with.

TPTS has a reasonable collection you can choose from. Shoot me a PM if you want to go. I'm a member and I think the sponsored member guest rate is less than just walking in off the street.

TPTS has a reasonable collection you can choose from. Shoot me a PM if you want to go. I'm a member and I think the sponsored member guest rate is less than just walking in off the street.

Kimber, I think you and I may need to hit that place up one of these days. I've been wanting to check out their range, I've only ever bought ammo there.

Last time I was at the Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas, I thought they had rentals. You might check in there.

They rent guns. Think it costs $10 per rental. The lane fee is $15 if you aren't a member. They offer a discount on Thursdays if you bring a box of cereal. You have to have a gun of your own. Reasonable selection of revolvers and semi autos including number of Glocks. I rented a Super Blackhawk there once.

Kimber, I think you and I may need to hit that place up one of these days. I've been wanting to check out their range, I've only ever bought ammo there.

Just say the word. I like to shoot on Monday's 'cause the lane fee is only $10. I keep eyes/ears in the trunk just in case I get the urge at lunch time :)

Just say the word. I like to shoot on Monday's 'cause the lane fee is only $10. I keep eyes/ears in the trunk just in case I get the urge at lunch time :)

That's been my MO as well...only been trying to decide if it's worth it to renew this year. Seems their ammo prices haven't exactly followed market price in the past 6 months...

That's been my MO as well...only been trying to decide if it's worth it to renew this year. Seems their ammo prices haven't exactly followed market price in the past 6 months...

I got lucky and picked up a life membership for $99 10+ years ago. Bought one for my wife too. She's gone once :( but I'm still money ahead.

I'll be the first to admit it's an expensive place to shoot. Runs me $40-$50 every time I go; but:
* It's 5min from work so I really can go at lunch time/after work
* Indoor so I don't have to worry about weather/light
* Supports a local business that caters to my hobby in a very politically unfriendly area
* I can rapid fire
* I don't have to wait for everyone else to finish shooting before I check/change my target
* I can choose from around 30 guns to rent for something new
* I like Julie

If I ever get around to taking that second class from them I can use the tactical range. Really ought to do that one of these days.

I got lucky and picked up a life membership for $99 10+ years ago. Bought one for my wife too. She's gone once :( but I'm still money ahead.

I'll be the first to admit it's an expensive place to shoot. Runs me $40-$50 every time I go; but:
* It's 5min from work so I really can go at lunch time/after work
* Indoor so I don't have to worry about weather/light
* Supports a local business that caters to my hobby in a very politically unfriendly area
* I can rapid fire
* I don't have to wait for everyone else to finish shooting before I check/change my target
* I can choose from around 30 guns to rent for something new
* I like Julie

If I ever get around to taking that second class from them I can use the tactical range. Really ought to do that one of these days.

Those are all pretty much the same reasons I've continued to go there myself. Until I get around to clearing a lane at my house, it still is the most convenient place for me to go too.

The Place to Shoot does indeed. If you're not a member there, and/or don't have your own gun with you, then I think they require you have a second person there with you for "safety"...

I didn't pick up on the 'code' there until a guy I work with spelled it out for me. All I could picture was "Hey, hold my beer and watch this." Like how is a friend gonna stop you from doing something stupid? Now I get it. Would my little .22 Mk-II have qualified as a 'bring a gun' or should I tote along the 12 Ga to demonstrate opportunity outside of their range?

I was trying to decide between a 4" or 6" barrel on a GP-100 revolver, was hoping they'd have both that I could try side by side. Finally decided I was just over-analyzing the problem and popped down to my local store and bought the 6" unit. (CC isn't a primary objective at this juncture.)

Thanks, everyone, for all the info on ranges with rentals. And for the offers for range time. Now that I have something to bring to the party, offers to get together to 'compare equipment' are more inviting. TCGC would be my pref...

MrB+
--
Working my way up to A--

Oregon Firearms Academy has firearms for rent for students on campus or off site training venues. Assortment of revolvers, semi auto's, shotgun's, AR- Ak rifle systems. Example: Student renting a handgun for Basic Handgun Safety Class $50.00 which also includes a box of 50 count ammunition. Holsters and other gear are available for additional classes for rent and well as market price on ammunition if a student doesn't bring enough or just wants to purchase ammunition from OFA .
Just thought I would let you know!
Thank You
Rick

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR