JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello I am looking for information on Handgun registration.

My father gave me a .357 on my 20th Birthday. This was 24 years ago. I have had the gun in my possession for the last 24 years. But at the time I was 20 and the gun was put in his name. What do I have to do to have it registered in my name. Is there anything that needs to be done? I am looking and can not find a way to do this.

Thanks for your help, Sue

Absolutely nothing.
I'll assume he lived/passed away/was a resident of Oregon.
As this was 24 years ago, any questions over his estate have likely been resolved. If you're legal, it's legal.

There is NO such thing on a Federal level which is why you cant find it. There are a few states that require some registration of certain firearms, but non are in the PNW.

You don't have ti do anything. OR doesn't have registration. Your father's name would have been in the FFL's record's but your father could transfer it after that.

Sue, as long as you have no criminal or mental health record that might bar you from possession, you need do nothing.. start out with .38 Specials and work your way up to hotter +P 38s and then maybe .357 magnums, and enjoy. I would recommend you take a gun safety course if you have not, and in the meantime please read this and live by it

NRA Gun Safety Rules

A safe direction means you NEVER EVER EVER "sweep" another person with a firearm. If you cannot move it safely stay still and wait. There is no such thing as an "empty" firearm in this regard

350px-Predator_(1987)_-_main_cast.jpg

North American Atta~boys if anyone figures out this post

What about the states that actually have registration? Is that just hollywood too?

They don't register the firearm, the register you. (i.e. Illinois' FOID cards, Firearms owner ID). In NY and NC you have to get a permit to buy a pistol. Hawaii requires a permit to buy ammo. California and Massachusetts just limits what you can buy.

This is why I live in oregon, only hassle is getting a suppressor, full auto, or short barrel rifle.

They don't register the firearm, the register you. (i.e. Illinois' FOID cards, Firearms owner ID). In NY and NC you have to get a permit to buy a pistol. Hawaii requires a permit to buy ammo. California and Massachusetts just limits what you can buy.

This is why I live in oregon, only hassle is getting a suppressor, full auto, or short barrel rifle.

I dont live in any of those places so I may be wrong but I thought gun "make, model, serial number" was included as registered to you. Is that not the case? If they run the serial number does it not come up with the owners name?

I know with NFA (SBR, SBS, FA, DD, AOW, silencer) the item IS registered.

I dont live in any of those places so I may be wrong but I thought gun "make, model, serial number" was included as registered to you. Is that not the case? If they run the serial number does it not come up with the owners name?

I know with NFA (SBR, SBS, FA, DD, AOW, silencer) the item IS registered.

Nope. If they popo runs the serial number it will only come back if it's listed as being stolen.

If ATF runs the serial number they will only be able to trace it back to the last FFL that sold it.

All that TV and movie crime show stuff isn't real.

H

Remember in the movie "Red Dawn" after invading the town, the head guy says "Go to the sporting goods store and pull all the gun records, round up everyone on those forms".

It's up to the FFL who sells the gun to identify purchaser? That was the good ol days, Guess OSP and NICS has the same info in a database.

Looks like registration to me. At a state level. Am I missing something?

<broken link removed>

Registration of Firearms

Once you receive a permit to acquire a firearm, you must register all firearms with the Hawai&#699;i Police Department within five days of purchase or acquisition.

If you move to Hawai&#699;i and bring in a firearm of any description, you must register the firearm within 72 hours after the firearm enters the state.

To register a firearm, transport the unloaded firearm to the Hawai&#699;i Police Department in a closed container. Do not bring any ammunition with you.

Once you register a firearm, the registration will remain valid until you sell or otherwise dispose of the weapon.

NYS Gun Laws | NY Firearms - New York Firearm & Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics, Weapons | NY Firearms

Each handgun possessed must be listed on the license by make, model, caliber and serial number. The only exception is possession of a properly licensed handgun by another licensee or license applicant at a target range.

<broken link removed>

After obtaining a Chicago Firearms Permit, residents can purchase a firearm. Residents must then register their firearm within 5 days with the Chicago Police Department.
Only one handgun can be registered in any 30-day period. The cost is a one-time $15 fee per firearm, and the person will be required to file an annual report.
To register a firearm the owner must provide information on the type of weapon, the manufacturer, the serial number, where it was obtained or purchased and where the weapon will be located.

More

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/volreg.pdf

https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentHome

<broken link removed>

Nope. If they popo runs the serial number it will only come back if it's listed as being stolen.

If ATF runs the serial number they will only be able to trace it back to the last FFL that sold it.

All that TV and movie crime show stuff isn't real.

H

Here in the PNW for Title 1 firearms that is correct.

If they run the serial on my NFA item you can bet it pulls up to my name and address, they ARE registered.

I am assuming that in STATES that have registration on Title 1 firearms the same thing happens.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top