JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would first look at what associations you wish to shoot in. What rules and stipulations exist regarding the weapon? I would then use that as a guide. For instance, I shoot stock service pistol in IDPA. IDPA is based on concealed carry, so I veered away from the longer guns like G34s and G35s and such. I shoot a Glock 17 or 22 because its easier to hide with my preferred holster.

I have 0 experience with comp shooting, but those high end EAA Tanfoglio Witness look great from my couch. Rumor has it they have won just about every major pistol competition in the world at one time or another. Even thier cheap poly guns shoot and feel great.

I've shot both USPSA and IDPA... never shot speed steel nor pins.

USPSA - 1911 PARA double stack with mag extensions for extra rds between reloads; .45ACP in Limited because 9mm was penalized with a lower point count. STI 2011 .38 Super in Open because of super fast cycle of slide, muzzle brake for low muzzle rise, and optics are allowed... if you are interested in rocket style run&gun, that would be my recommendation. Lots of race parts for 1911/2011 and you can get the single action trigger down to 2lbs if you want. Mine was 3lbs for a little safety precaution.

IDPA - Shot my Para double stack with factory mags inserted because the extended mags are over the size limits. It was fun but mags will only be loaded to 10rds and I really didn't carry my Para... so just shooting it for fun and a change of pace. Started out with a Glock 19 because it is what I carried, did fairly well. Gave the 19 to my stepdaughter, used the Para then later bought a Ruger SR9c. A smaller handgun than the 19, and a shorter barrel, but it shoots amazingly well... I guess it fits me. Then bought a Glock 34 because I was at a disadvantage with the short sight radius of the Ruger. Now I shoot either, depending on my mood. I have a set of XS Big Dot sights coming for the 34 because I have lost a lot of vision. Gave the Para to my SIL because the .45ACP hurts my extremely arthritic thumbs. It wasn't bad to shoot a few rounds but 120rds at the required power factor left me reaching for the Vicodin in the afternoons after a shoot. Now I stick with 9mm, just a total wuss, but it is what I carry.

Last Edited:
Of the guns I've owned I like both the p320 and m&p, I also like glock minus the glock knuckle. I ended carrying g19 just due to size.
I might wind up picking a g34 as a starting point and see how i like it after a couple thousand rounds. Worst case I can resell it and be no worse for wear.

You really need to get a clue about the competition before you decide on equipment. Revolver for USPSA will require a different investment than open, limited, carry optics, single stack, or production. ALL require an investment in equipment, ammunition, and training. Start with something basic so you can get a feel for how you'll like it. Once you start getting more comfortable with what it's all about, then you can start deciding what you'd like to shoot long term.

It's really a journey. Explore it and enjoy it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top