JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I purchased 6 handguns in one day 2 different FFl's everything went smooth they knew I had purchased more that day cause they brought it up but it wasn't a problem . What made me mad was a week later I get a call from tick licker firearms asking me for a serial number on a specific gun I had purchased I gave them the serial an then they siad okay thank you. Made me not ever go back to that place. Maybe they thought I had sold it on the black market i don't know but that pissed me off.

I purchased 6 handguns in one day 2 different FFl's everything went smooth they knew I had purchased more that day cause they brought it up but it wasn't a problem . What made me mad was a week later I get a call from tick licker firearms asking me for a serial number on a specific gun I had purchased I gave them the serial an then they siad okay thank you. Made me not ever go back to that place. Maybe they thought I had sold it on the black market i don't know but that pissed me off.
It's very possible the person filling out the form simply transposed a number, there's no reason to assume they called to harass you

It's very possible the person filling out the form simply transposed a number, there's no reason to assume they called to harass you
I've had it happen to me just like you said. The gun shop asked me if I'd bring the gun in which I was happy to do, they'd treated me very well for many years.

As hard as it is to believe, I've made one, maybe two mistakes in life, just ask my wife :)

So today I called BiMart to check on my background checks and the nice lady on the phone told me that January 1st CCSO was starting to process only certain forms on certain days. Like CPLs one day and handgun transfers on another. So it went from 2-3 weeks to 4-5 weeks. Ironically my 642 only took 11 business days.

So today I called BiMart to check on my background checks and the nice lady on the phone told me that January 1st CCSO was starting to process only certain forms on certain days. Like CPLs one day and handgun transfers on another. So it went from 2-3 weeks to 4-5 weeks. Ironically my 642 only took 11 business days.
I just hate when they know that they got you by the short hairs

Ok so here's an update. I received my Ruger Wrangler right at the 10 business day mark. My 1911 is on the 17 business day mark. Which is absurd. I call BiMart and they check for me and it's always a "no". They said they don't start calling until around the 30 business day mark. Am I allowed to call CCSO and ask them what is taking so long?

The answer you will receive is that they process them in the order they receive them and yours will be done when it is done. Who knows how they actually process these, but this us what they will say.

The LE agency can take as long as they like citing lack of resources if the time frame is excessive.

The protection for citizens against defacto gun control by a slow agency is built into the statute itself, namely the dealer can release the firearm after the 10 day period if no answer has been received from the agency.

The statute is clear the dealer is under no liability if, after that period , the BGC does in fact come back denied.

In this situation it's on the agency to go recover the firearm. The dealer is totally out of the process.

The "hammer" urging the agency to be prompt is they don't want to waste resources chasing down a firearm due to a delayed denial.

So, you are stuck. In the future use a dealer that will release the firearm after the statutory time period has elasped.

Sorry!

Ok so here's an update. I received my Ruger Wrangler right at the 10 business day mark. My 1911 is on the 17 business day mark. Which is absurd. I call BiMart and they check for me and it's always a "no". They said they don't start calling until around the 30 business day mark. Am I allowed to call CCSO and ask them what is taking so long?
That's quite foolish on their part. After 30 days ( calendar days, not business) your 4473 is no good. The nics process must be restarted after 30 days have passed. I have hit this snag several times in Washington over the years.
I typically won't use that ffl afterwards.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and insist that they call the CCSO and see what is going on. This is just stupid. I'm assuming if I have to refill that means back of the line, right?

No, once the local BGC is completed the dealer will rerun the NCIS check if it has expired. You will not have to go through the local check another time. You can call and ask that your dealer call CCSO, but I doubt they will do so, even if they tell you they will. CCSO has made it clear to area dealers to not call before the 30-day mark.

I really can't blame the sheriff's office on this one. The dealers can (should) release the firearm at the 10-day mark. The LEOs should not have to bother with dealers tying up their phone lines asking about the status of the check. LE agencies get busy, and they know as well as you and I that local BCGs do nothing to stem crime. They hate doing these checks as it takes resources away from things that really matter. They have a "get-out-of-jail-free" card in that the dealers are off the hook in 10 business days if they fail to return an answer, so the LE agencies are not causing citizens distress if, for some reason, their check takes longer.

The only way a dealer would be in legal jeopardy is if they released the firearm before the 10-day period (and a release has yet to be given), or they release a firearm after a denial, or a "hold" is given.

The fact you don't yet have your firearm is squarely on the dealer here.

The reason they don't release the gun is their fear of a lawsuit. That's why it's mostly the small outfits that release in a timely fashion, poor bastards don't realize that everything they own could be wiped out by just one nut who shouldn't have had a gun

Those "poor bastards" also have significant, but not absolute, protection from the PLCAA. Just because a dealer is a small business doesn't mean they are ignorant.

The PLCCA protects dealers from lawsuits who follow all local, state and federal statutes in the conduct of their business. There are six exceptions to the civil immunity protections, loosely summarized as: Transferring a firearm knowing that it will be used to commit a crime of violence; Negligent entrustment or negligence; Causing harm by knowingly violating a State or Federal statute applicable to the sale or marketing of the product; breach of contract or warranty; Responsibility for death, physical injuries or property damage resulting directly from a defect in design or manufacture of the product; and an action by the Attorney General to enforce the Gun Control Act or the National Firearms Act.

Those "poor bastards" also have significant, but not absolute, protection from the PLCAA. Just because a dealer is a small business doesn't mean they are ignorant.
So it's just that all the big stores are run by dummies?

There's a real good reason why those stores with the most to lose don't call back after 10 days & it's called liability

Years ago when I had an ffl in AZ, if the buyer was delayed, we were allowed to transfer the gun after 4 business days if no callback was received.

Many if not most of the big stores would refuse to transfer even so & it was for the same reason, liability. Guess their lawyers know something you don't...

Thursday was my callback day cause while 10% of my clients would be later denied, that still left 30-40% who were legal to transfer to after the 4 day wait. Many of those didn't want to drive all the way to my shop but I was eager to sell

There's a real good reason why those stores with the most to lose don't call back after 10 days & it's called liability

Years ago when I had an ffl in AZ, if the buyer was delayed, we were allowed to transfer the gun after 4 business days if no callback was received.

Many if not most of the big stores would refuse to transfer even so & it was for the same reason, liability. Guess their lawyers know something you don't...

Thursday was my callback day cause while 10% of my clients would be later denied, that still left 30-40% who were legal to transfer to after the 4 day wait. Many of those didn't want to drive all the way to my shop but I was eager to sell
Yep, I'm just a dumb gray-haired civil defense attorney who doesn't know anything about the legal system and liability.

Not run by dummies, more like run by puzzies.

It makes sense for a big store to just lame on their customers, because they're going to have brand new customers walk in daily. Not mad at them , just not going to give them my money. My .02

It's just like what @billdeserthills said… the individual business has their own policy. I have purchased multiple firearms from the same FFL and you can honestly have them added to the same background check as long as it's done within the same 30 day period. So, buy a pistol… 8 days later buy a rifle… 17 days after the first purchase buy another pistol… legally they can add all 3 onto the same form and the feds don't care… but businesses will run a background check on all of them… if it's from multiple FFL it doesn't matter they don't communicate with each other

Our problem here in Washington is Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos have been paying off whatever they want as a law… why? Because Jack wagon punch monkeys want us living on company land… shopping at company stores… buying company food and also working at their companies… they are power hungry and don't want us to have any say… it's called welcome to 1920's

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top