JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

I recently bought a SW 642 over at Sportsman's, that was around a week or so ago, and today I bought a Ruger Wrangler at BiMart because I thought it looked like fun. I was eyeballing a Rock Island 1911 while I was there. Is there a limit to how many pistols I can buy and how often? If I picked up a 1911 too that would be my third purchase in around two weeks.

Thanks for any input!

In WA and OR, there are currently (Jan 2022) no limits on the number of firearms you may purchase.

I believe if you buy more than one handgun in under a week it must be reported to the county chief law enforcement officer (sheriff) by the FFL (a federal regulation). I am always curious how it works though, if you buy two from separate FFLs, how does the latter FFL know it's your second in a week?

The onus is on the FFL to report multiple purchases with 5-7 business days, as per ATF/GCA rule. Now that being said, it's doubtful the WSP is going to recognize two different FFL sales in the same week or say anything about it since that would be unrequired paperwork for them. It is true however that if the multiple purchase form gets filled out, that you are flagged with the ATF and the local sheriffs office is notified. Best to put over a week between handgun (and semiauto rifles in some states, WA/OR not applicable unless 1639 changed that) purchases just to avoid this kind of attention

Thanks for the info! I'll wait until next week then go for a 1911.

Edit: Does this only apply with handguns? Like could you buy a handgun then turn around and by a bolt action rifle or pump shotgun the next day if you wanted to?

I believe it is only for handguns, not long guns.
Reporting multiple sales of long guns only apply in 4 states

The multiple sale form is required when there are multiple sales from the same dealer. There is no way one dealer would know of a transaction with a different dealer.

That being said, the fact that there is a local BGC for handguns and "fully semiautomatic assault rifles" kind of means the LEOs know, or at least have the data reflecting multiple purchases.

The only thing you need is money. Seen just once, a fellow filled out 2 BGCs at the same dealer during the same visit. Guess he wanted something else real bad after the form was already submitted. Just meant he got processed twice

I've bought 2 handguns at the same time a few different instances. Bought 5 lowers at once too. Never heard any word or issue with it except it saved having to pay for multiple background checks. If any government official cared, they certainly haven't expressed it to me and it hasn't had any impact on my subsequent purchases.

For all I know, the only limit is your financing. If I win the lottery, I'll go buy out one of my local gun stores and let y'all know how it goes. Haha!

Edit to add that I did not have any additional forms to fill out for the ATF or Sheriff or whomever. The process was identical to every other firearms purchase I've done. I seem to recall that the 4473 only had allowances for 5 serial numbers (I believe that was an earlier revision so don't know if that has changed or not). The most recent example was in November of 2021 in Josephine County, Oregon where I purchased two Heritage Rough Riders at the same time because guns.

Last Edited:
The onus is on the FFL to report multiple purchases with 5-7 business days, as per ATF/GCA rule. Now that being said, it's doubtful the WSP is going to recognize two different FFL sales in the same week or say anything about it since that would be unrequired paperwork for them. It is true however that if the multiple purchase form gets filled out, that you are flagged with the ATF and the local sheriffs office is notified. Best to put over a week between handgun (and semiauto rifles in some states, WA/OR not applicable unless 1639 changed that) purchases just to avoid this kind of attention
I do not see how this could work. What happens if there are multiple FFLs involved? None of the FFLs may even know of the multiple purchases. And as far as local law enforcement, what happens in the states where CCW holders are exempt from the NICS check. No NICS check was ever done on the last 4 handguns I purchased. While the FFLs have records of these purchases, the feds don't and in Idaho registration of firearms is constitutionally prohibited so the state does not know either. Of course, they do not care either.

The multiple sale form is required when there are multiple sales from the same dealer. There is no way one dealer would know of a transaction with a different dealer.

That being said, the fact that there is a local BGC for handguns and "fully semiautomatic assault rifles" kind of means the LEOs know, or at least have the data reflecting multiple purchases.
"Fully semiautomatic" Common Man. Just because the anti-gun liberals want to use meaningless terms does not mean we should do so.

fb-og-sis.png

Aloha, Mark

So I decided to just ask while I was there again today picking up some of the plastic storage bins on sale. They said it's no big deal. People do it all the time. So I got me a 1911. I've been wanting for years. Now to play the waiting game.

I've bought 2 handguns at the same time a few different instances. Bought 5 lowers at once too. Never heard any word or issue with it except it saved having to pay for multiple background checks. If any government official cared, they certainly haven't expressed it to me and it hasn't had any impact on my subsequent purchases.

For all I know, the only limit is your financing. If I win the lottery, I'll go buy out one of my local gun stores and let y'all know how it goes. Haha!

Edit to add that I did not have any additional forms to fill out for the ATF or Sheriff or whomever. The process was identical to every other firearms purchase I've done. I seem to recall that the 4473 only had allowances for 5 serial numbers (I believe that was an earlier revision so don't know if that has changed or not). The most recent example was in November of 2021 in Josephine County, Oregon where I purchased two Heritage Rough Riders at the same time because guns.
When an FFL sells more than 5 guns to the same client, they just list them all on a separate sheet of paper. One time I sold over 20 guns to one guy on one form

I've never worried about the multiple purchase issue. The dealer sends the tattletale form to the ATF, they ask the dealer if there is anything suspicious about me, he says no the guy just enjoys collecting various guns, and that's where it ends. If the ATF wants to call me and ask I'll gladly tell them the same thing. No I am not supplying the Hells Angels.

I've never worried about the multiple purchase issue. The dealer sends the tattletale form to the ATF, they ask the dealer if there is anything suspicious about me, he says no the guy just enjoys collecting various guns, and that's where it ends. If the ATF wants to call me and ask I'll gladly tell them the same thing. No I am not supplying the Hells Angels.
The ATF never asked me anything after I sent in a multiple form

As a private citizen.....I once purchased a modest quantity of nekked AR15 lowers in one purchase (intending them as rifles in the future). BTW, this was just before the AW ban.

So.....anyway......(weeks later) I got the call from the ATF. Yup.....they wanted to know why I was buying so many receivers?

I responded about the direction of the country under Bill Clinton and the Dems. Apparently, they were NOT interested anymore after that brief explanation.

I guess I made several Govt "Enemies Lists" that year.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads