JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am new to purchasing guns and am wondering what the deal is with delays in handgun purchases in washington state? What is the average time people wait? I don't understand how I can go buy an ar15 and be out the door with it in 15 minutes, yet here I sit 18 days after paying for my first pistol and still the shop says they "havnt heard anything yet, we'll call you when we do". I don't have any tickets or arrests. I didn't put my social security number on the form like I did when I purchased my AR last year, could that be the problem? Is this a normal time frame or is something else going on?

18 days sounds pretty strange but I'll bite.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a handgun in WA state, the local law enforcement has 5 days to do a background check for the transfer, and if you dont hear back in that 5 days, a transfer can then be made.

My advice to you, is get your CPL and then you can walk oit the same day.

18 days sounds pretty strange but I'll bite.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a handgun in WA state, the local law enforcement has 5 days to do a background check for the transfer, and if you dont hear back in that 5 days, a transfer can then be made.

My advice to you, is get your CPL and then you can walk oit the same day.

I tried looking this up myself, the dol says 5 days, or whenever law enforcement decides to release it. So that seems like it's minimum 5 days but maximum is..whatever they want. At least that was my interpretation of it. I am just trying to find out how long people generally are having to wait before getting their pistol, as this is my first one.

As far as the cpl, I agree and am in the process of getting one.

You can but it's not guaranteed.

It's not guaranteed because you could still fail the NICS check or get delayed, but if you have your CPL, your ability to walk out of a store is the same for a handgun or long gun, and is dependent on the NICS check. (which was not the case before he got the CPL)

Last Edited:
3 days for me a few months ago. CWP ran out and was waiting for the new one in the mail so had to play the game. What part of WA are you in? Just seems strange for the long wait.

I was surprised to be able to walk out with a handgun the same day as I purchased it here in Oregon, especially as it was my first ever handgun purchase; I had assumed there was always a waiting period involved.

If you have a common name then the social security number helps them figure out who you are. Think about it, how many Mark Andersons, Steve Smiths, Ed Jones, Jim Wilsons etc. are there?
The CPL will help, I have never been refused but I know guys who have... It just depends on if the State employee has a burr in their @$$ that day

One of the nice things about a CPL. buy and leave with the handgun the same day!

Also it is a good idea to have one anyway.

Some may not know this: but if you have a loaded handgun in your vehicle it is unlawful in WA unless you have a CPL or disabled hunters permit. not a felony, but it is a misdemeanor. loaded long gun in your vehicle with the engine running is also a misdemeanor whether you have a CPL or not. disabled hunter permit also gets you out of this one, or law enforcement officer.

but there is a catch to the law enforcement officer part that 98% of officers break... They MUST BE ON DUTY WITHIN THEIR JURISDICTION to have a loaded long gun in their vehicle, otherwise it is unlawful for them too! (long gun includes shotguns and rifles) most of them have a loaded shotgun and I doubt they ever unload it before they go off duty or leave the borders of their jurisdiction... (RCW 77.15.460)

So until you have your CPL, don't ever transport your pistol loaded.

Where in the heck did you go?
Those guys are idiots.After 5 days (business days) if they don't hear anything you are cleared to take the gun home.
If thew shop won't let you I would get my money back and go to a store that knows the laws

I have my permit and have worked at a gun store and always get further review,so the permit isn't golden.I have seen guys who buy guns regularly that always come back in 5 days to pick it up AND THEY HAVE A PERMIT.

if you don't get denied in 5 days,the gun is yours.

They can legally transfer after no response from NICS in 3 days. But some shops won't. They wait for a proceed. I recently waited 33 days. 30 days for the instant check with my CPL number on form 4473. And after no response, cancelled original BG check and resubmitted to local Sheriff without CPL number on a new form 4473. Form submitted on Saturday, picked up gun on Monday. Proves that NICS doesn't always work the way it should and that having a CPL doesn't guarantee anything until a proceed is granted.

I live in Oregon, so I guess I have a little bit of an excuse for being ignorant of Washington purchasing laws. I was definitely under the impression that except for the well known states like CA, MA, NY, IL, etc there were no stupid waiting periods. Does Washington's rule mean there cannot be face to face transfers of private handguns without a waiting period? And what about legal open carry in Washington? I'm sure there are some restrictions about that without a CPL, just like here in Oregon, but I was under the impression most of the state was still a free state.

Sucks for you guys. I guess I'll try to stay on this side of the river as long as I can.

I live in Oregon, so I guess I have a little bit of an excuse for being ignorant of Washington purchasing laws. I was definitely under the impression that except for the well known states like CA, MA, NY, IL, etc there were no stupid waiting periods. Does Washington's rule mean there cannot be face to face transfers of private handguns without a waiting period? And what about legal open carry in Washington? I'm sure there are some restrictions about that without a CPL, just like here in Oregon, but I was under the impression most of the state was still a free state.

Sucks for you guys. I guess I'll try to stay on this side of the river as long as I can.
There can be FTF transfers without any waiting period as long as they are between residents of the state and are legal to own a firearm.

Washington Open Carry laws (or lack of laws restricting it) are much better than Oregon because they apply statewide. There is no guessing when you cross into a county or city as to what they are. The restrictions that are in place prevent you from carrying in a mental facility, on school grounds (except with a CPL and then just to pick up or drop off students), in courthouses (they are required by law to provide a place to check them), the area of places that serve alcohol that are restricted to over 21, and outdoor music festivals where a certain number of people are attending. No gun signs do not have any weight of law behind them which is also a difference as they do in Oregon. Of course post offices and other federal buildings however that is the same. The only area that I know of where Oregon has a leg up is that they allow open carry of loaded firearms in vehicles unless there is a local ordinance against open carry. In Washington you are required to have a concealed carry license to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle. Other differences that come to mind is that Oregon requires background checks at gun shows even when they are between private parties. Their delay for background checks when there is no response is 2 days shorter (3 days as opposed to 5). Neither one have a minimum waiting period. I.E. If the background check is completed before you leave the store then you can take it with you (while it's rare it does happen sometimes). It also isn't unusual for them to be done within a couple of hours either. Washington also is a shall issue for Concealed Permits and doesn't require a class like Oregon does.

Last Edited:
Good to hear it's not as bad as I feared. I'm still a bit confused by the fact that you say open carry is legal almost everywhere except in specific areas and in vehicles... If I can walk down the street openly carrying (without a CPL, as you can in Oregon, with exceptions) do I have to unload when I reach my car? That just doesn't make sense to me.

It's been a few months, I guess I better bone up on all the new laws and litigation...

Loaded firearms in vehicles being prohibited without a CPL isn't anything new, just an FYI.

I haven't carried once in Washington, or once in Oregon before I got my CHL. I'm not a huge fan of open carry, but I have thought about just slipping my holster outside of my shirt if I'm just going for a quick hop over the border. Of course I would have researched it first, but now I know not to do that.

Granted, many firearms laws are ridiculous. But am I the only one that thinks it is even more ridiculous to be "allowed" to carry openly on foot, but not in a vehicle? It seems counter-intuitive.

I really hope I'm not threadjacking here. It seems like this is good info for all. . .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top