JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
... a couple of cents worth.

A .38 J frame is a good purse gun, but as mentioned, can be heavy and the recoil might not be liked. If you don't like it during range time, you will always have that little doubt when needed most.
So I think that you should rule a .38 J frame or the likes of a RUger LCR or Charter Arms out. Try one if you can.

Some recommend the pocket 380/9 that are available. And there's a plethora.

Suggestions to google/research/reviews:

S&W Bodyguard 380 (LAPD have approved this for LE backup, with the safety deleted); even has a built in laser module. Find one and try it out.
SIG P238 (my personal recommendation)
Kel-Tec PF9 (can't beat the price, plus the 200 round break in well get you feeling happy; my other personal recommendation)
Ruger LCP
Kahr for extra $
Rohrbaugh (extra $$)
Kimber Solo ($$!)
Seecamp - look these up and gunbroker.com $$

Find a local range and rent ... one full magazine fired may not be enough, then again it might, to at least narrow down the search.
Find something comfortable for your hand, recoil control and the weight; then, does it fit in the proposed carry "purse"?

Once you've narrowed it down, go to a LGS; many won't object if you want to try it for fit and ease of access from the purse.

Have fun with your choice and let us know what you settled on ...

chris

Last Edited:
Kel-Tec PF9 (can't beat the price, plus the 200 round break in well get you feeling happy; my other personal reocmmendation)
My wife and I chose the PF9 and couldn't be happier.

As for others, if you are close to Vancouver, WA - you can go to the English Pit Range ($16.50 per day fee) and if you contact them in advance, you can rent some of their guns for between $10 and $30. You have to buy their ammo for those but it does give you an opportunity to go shoot several different types (revolvers, semi-auto's) and decide what you like best.

My wife and I chose the PF9 and couldn't be happier.

As for others, if you are close to Vancouver, WA - you can go to the English Pit Range ($16.50 per day fee) and if you contact them in advance, you can rent some of their guns for between $10 and $30. You have to buy their ammo for those but it does give you an opportunity to go shoot several different types (revolvers, semi-auto's) and decide what you like best.

ASAP you should upgrade from Kel Tec. They can fail your lady at the worst moment.This is from a 51 year old life time gunner who has no axe to grind. She would be better off with the 2 inch S & W I do not like, at least it will likely never fail her and go BANG

The Ruger LCR and especially the LCR .357 Magnum really makes snub nosed revolvers much more user friendly. If you go the revolver route, check one out.

Again if you just HAVE to have a 5 shot J frame these are the most ergonomic and shootable and with the 3 inch barrel you get better velocity. I would try to find a hammerless type and in .357 so you can eventually work your way up to the Winchester .357 white box 110 grain hollowpoint loads. They are cheap, effective and lower recoil than most .357 loads. In the meantime that gun can take all the .38 +P you can toss at it

1_350-300x176.jpg

Smith & Wesson Model 60-15 3-inch Barrel J-frame Revolver in .357 Magnum

Lisbeth, try to find a gun store that will let you handle the pistols and see which one fits you. What fits someone else is irrelevant.

Things to consider.
Smaller guns are more difficult to shoot. Shorter sight radius will effect accuracy, and simple physics 101, action and reaction. With a smaller, lighter pistol you will feel more recoil.

A purse is a lousy place to carry a gun. There are many other options.

Beware of anonymous advice on gun forums.

Everyone has their favorites that they consider "the perfect gun." Find a good instructor who can help you decide for yourself what will work best for you. Avoid the temptation to have husband/boyfriend/friend help you. You would be better served by a professional instructor.

My wife has two small frame handguns. She is a small person and has small hands and by no means is an "expert shooter".
The first one she bought herself and likes it. It's a S&W 642 Airweight .38 Special with the 2" barrel and Crimson Trace grips. It only gets shot with standard 38 Special, no + P. The last time she went to the range she went thru a little over a box and a half of Federal ammo.
The other is the Taurus TCP 380. These days the Taurus gets more carry time, but that has to do with it's size only. Since I bought her the TCP as a present she is less likely to go unarmed.
She likes to shoot the TCP more, but is a better shot with the S&W.

I just bought a LC9 from a dealer on the forum and I really like it. Its highly concealable. My wife couldn't even see it on my hip. The dealer I used is selling the LC9 for $320 out the door.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top