JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am looking at buying a handgun soon and am trying to find something that meets these few needs (I know this is a long list but it is mainly ideas on what I am looking for in a gun, not necessarily set in stone)...

1. small enough to conceal
2. I have large hands, will need something that I can obviously hold comfortably.
3. looking for probably 9mm, and high capacity magazine
4. price range $400.00-$800.00 max
5. easy to break down, clean, take care of in general.
6. shoots well, comfortable, good reputation for reliability,, and would love to have something I could shoot with either hand.

Right now I have researched a lot and like the Springfield XD series
XDM-9
the 4.5" black model is 579.99
the 3.8" model is 579.99

I also like the Glock 19 4th Gen. but have not researched them as much for various versions, prices, etc.

My intent is to compile a small list and try each out at a range until I find something that fits for me, but getting some feedback will help me narrow things down a bit.

Anybody have any pro's and cons on these or others guns that may fiit the list? I really appreciate the feedback.

lol, I know and understand there are a ton of threads which I have read many of them and filtered through a lot of that, that is how I narrowed down to what I asked, and the guns I chose.

My simple hope was that someone else that has had some of the same criteria would respond.

Honestly, I don't want to put anybody out, if anyone feels like taking a moment to respond thats great, if not than no worries. I understand how boring it can be to respond to many of the same questions over and over. We were all looking for answers once in our lives right? aint nothin but a thing.

Both guns you mention are very nice, good shooters, reliable, etc. If you like polymer handguns, striker fired, perhaps consider the Ruger SR9 or SR9c (compact) 17+1 or 10+1 for the 'c' model. They are well made, a bit easier on the wallet, and good for my thick hands.
Chris

Barefoot,

I don't mind chiming in, but remember, this is Only my opinion, and anyone else that might chime in, will be their opinions as well.

Starters, I own several pistols. My daily carry is an XDm 3.8 in a .40cal. It has a Springer Precision trigger job, that I just Love. Also has Tru Glo TFO sights on it.
I was carrying an XD .40 Service and loved it, until the 3.8's came out, then decided I liked the looks and Feel of the xdm 3.8.

I also have glocks. We carry them at work as well, but I prefer the XDm over a glock any day, but this is just MY OPINION! The ergonomics on the xdm fit me so much better than that of the glocks, but for my Wife who carries a glock 19 gen 4, and my boy who carries a glock 22 gen 4, both love the ergonomics of the glock over the xd.

Like others have said, go out and handle, then shoot as many different types as you can. Each person has different needs and wants, so get what "FEELS GOOD" in YOUR hand.

Both XD, & XDm, or the Glock are great choices of pistols, both makers have passed many different torture test. So whatever you choose, it will be because You liked the fit and feel of the pistol you choose.

Good luck.

Stay Safe.

One of the nice items on the S&W M&P series of pistols is the interchangeable back strap so you can adjust the pistol to fit your hand better... My wife has a M&P 9 and it has proven itself very reliable. It fits with in the budget, for myself I would lean torwards a single stack pistol in a 1911 format. Just my opinions.

Really like the size of the Glock 19, reliability and parts/accesory availability, but personally don't like the feel in the hand (holding a brick with a unnatural grip angle) - Gen 4 helps with brick, but doesn't change grip angle.
I like the XD/XDM pistols, but don't like the high bore axis or grip safety (personal thing).
I love the way the M&P line fit my hand, but didn't like the trigger - Apex parts fixed that easily. I can't say enough about the M&P line - great pistols! Plus, S&W customer service is unmatched in the industry, hands down.
My two cents.
Good luck, be safe and have fun!

Barefoot,

I don't mind chiming in, but remember, this is Only my opinion, and anyone else that might chime in, will be their opinions as well.

Starters, I own several pistols. My daily carry is an XDm 3.8 in a .40cal. It has a Springer Precision trigger job, that I just Love. Also has Tru Glo TFO sights on it.
I was carrying an XD .40 Service and loved it, until the 3.8's came out, then decided I liked the looks and Feel of the xdm 3.8.

I also have glocks. We carry them at work as well, but I prefer the XDm over a glock any day, but this is just MY OPINION! The ergonomics on the xdm fit me so much better than that of the glocks, but for my Wife who carries a glock 19 gen 4, and my boy who carries a glock 22 gen 4, both love the ergonomics of the glock over the xd.

Like others have said, go out and handle, then shoot as many different types as you can. Each person has different needs and wants, so get what "FEELS GOOD" in YOUR hand.

Both XD, & XDm, or the Glock are great choices of pistols, both makers have passed many different torture test. So whatever you choose, it will be because You liked the fit and feel of the pistol you choose.

Good luck.

Stay Safe.

1+ My EDC has been Glock for a while, especially the G26. However, just got an XDM 9 Compact and I really think it is good. Conceals better than the G19 or the G26, fits my hand better, great trigger out of the box. Way more accurate than I am. Anyone else have xdm opinions?

Stick with the 3rd Gen 19, I'd only consider a 4th Gen on the 40 S&W models at this point, even then I'd hesitate. I think a Glock 19 would fit the bill for you. Small enough to conceal, big enough to fight with. Check my post in the link mjbskwim posted, IMO the 19 has everything going for it.

When you mention the different generations, what are some of the differences?

Barefoot,

Good luck.

Stay Safe.

Thanks for the info!, can you explain the trigger job? what does it do?

I too would choose a xd over a glock. Actually, my first choice would be a compact 1911, but if it came down to a glock or xd I'd choose a xd. That is based on me holding both and comparing a glock 19 to a xd9. The xd9 had a lot more going for it than the glock.

great info from all, thanks.

I am thinking I will probably try at least those two out, would like to try a few others but feel pretty solid on both the XD and Glock (more so on the XD though).

1+ My EDC has been Glock for a while, especially the G26. However, just got an XDM 9 Compact and I really think it is good. Conceals better than the G19 or the G26, fits my hand better, great trigger out of the box. Way more accurate than I am. Anyone else have xdm opinions?

Had the XD9 that I was sure I would never give up, but then traded it for an XDm9. Cannot say enough good things about this gun. Bought it for a range gun, and home defense. It is perfect for both. Super accurate, dependable, easy to maintain, and I would put the ergos of this gun up against just about anything out there. Add to that the lifetime warranty, and package of goodys they come with and it becomes extremely hard to beat.

Glocks are great guns as well, but I'm an XDM guy for life!

Thanks for the info!, can you explain the trigger job? what does it do?

The trigger on the XD XDm platform has a longer pull and reset than that of the glock. To fix that, you can get a trigger job done from 3 places. Springer Precision, Powder River, or Springfield Armory themselves. It takes up the slack, and shortens the reset. HUGE difference. I personally have the Springer Precision trigger job done on mine, and have a friend that has the powder river trigger on his. By Far, we both like the springer precision over the powder river. He has since bought another xd sub, and had the springer put on that one, and likes it. But then there are folks that swear by the powder river, again, it is all personal preference.

It is all personal preference. some like the trigger the way it is on the xd xdm, I happen to like the trigger a little lighter, with less take up and reset.

Now with the glocks, you either like their short trigger pull or you don't. But I do have to say they are a LOT cheaper to work on than the xd's.

The main difference between the gen 4 glock, and all the previous glocks, are that the gen 4 is a little wider in the slide & upper frame fit, and a little narrower in the grip. When glock first came out, it was the 9mm. Then they came out with the .40 which still used the 9mm frame, although it worked, it wasn't perfect. That is what led up to the new gen 4 frame, Long story short. (glock rep in armorers course went into detail on that).
All I can say is go handle several different pistols and get what "FITS" your hand and you like the ergonomics of it.
My wife loves her gen 4 g-19 and has never had an issue one with it, although we did replace the spring just for peace of mind, still never an issue. That is what fit HER, so that is what she got.
My boy used my old xd service when I got my new XDm 3.8, but it didn't "fit" him the way he liked, so off to the local gun store we went, and he handled almost everything they had, but chose the glock 22 gen 4 and has never looked back.
Personally, I like the gen 4's over all the previous gens of glocks. Better fit, better feel, even the ergonomics are better than the previous gens. This is ALL just my Opinion, and others may differ.

Stay Safe.

The trigger on the XD XDm platform has a longer pull and reset than that of the glock. To fix that, you can get a trigger job done from 3 places. Springer Precision, Powder River, or Springfield Armory themselves. It takes up the slack, and shortens the reset. HUGE difference. I personally have the Springer Precision trigger job done on mine, and have a friend that has the powder river trigger on his. By Far, we both like the springer precision over the powder river. He has since bought another xd sub, and had the springer put on that one, and likes it. But then there are folks that swear by the powder river, again, it is all personal preference.

It is all personal preference. some like the trigger the way it is on the xd xdm, I happen to like the trigger a little lighter, with less take up and reset.

Now with the glocks, you either like their short trigger pull or you don't. But I do have to say they are a LOT cheaper to work on than the xd's.

The main difference between the gen 4 glock, and all the previous glocks, are that the gen 4 is a little wider in the slide & upper frame fit, and a little narrower in the grip. When glock first came out, it was the 9mm. Then they came out with the .40 which still used the 9mm frame, although it worked, it wasn't perfect. That is what led up to the new gen 4 frame, Long story short. (glock rep in armorers course went into detail on that).
All I can say is go handle several different pistols and get what "FITS" your hand and you like the ergonomics of it.
My wife loves her gen 4 g-19 and has never had an issue one with it, although we did replace the spring just for peace of mind, still never an issue. That is what fit HER, so that is what she got.
My boy used my old xd service when I got my new XDm 3.8, but it didn't "fit" him the way he liked, so off to the local gun store we went, and he handled almost everything they had, but chose the glock 22 gen 4 and has never looked back.
Personally, I like the gen 4's over all the previous gens of glocks. Better fit, better feel, even the ergonomics are better than the previous gens. This is ALL just my Opinion, and others may differ.

Stay Safe.

I am curious why you didn't go through Springfield themselves? was cost an issue or had you used springer before?
Also, which of the 2 is easier to breakdown, clean and maintain in your opinion? Very tough to decide because I am really feeling like either of these 2 would be a great gun and feel like I am leaning towards the XD.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I had used Springer before, so I went with them again. Plus, they are located in Bend OR., so I called and asked if I could drop it off (we were going over there anyway), Scott said yes. He shipped it to me when he was done. Scott and Kyle are both great guys. 5 Star business.

Glocks are good guns, and so are the Xd's XDm's, I personally prefer the XD series. Just "MY" preference.

The XD has a metal locking block that the slide mainly runs back and forth on, and then in the rear has the polymer rails, which I have never seen wear.
The glock has pieces of metal that are formed or pressed into the polymer and can wear out or should say come out or fall out. Probably for the average consumer this will never happen, but with the department, seen several of them wear out or even fall out. Then we have to send them back to glock, and they will send us a different frame, which now has a different serial number than the slide...

Again, Glocks are great guns, don't get me wrong. My Wife and Son both trust their lives to glocks, me personally I prefer the XD platform...

Both are easy to break down or field strip. both do it differently though. On both, make sure weapon is "empty" or "Clear" before breaking down.
Glock: Drop magazine, rack slide several times to make sure empty, point in safe direction, pull trigger, simultaneously pull down on the slide block levers and slide comes off, remove recoil spring and barrel & it's field stripped.
XD: drop mag, rack slide several time to make sure it's empty, flip take down lever up, point in safe direction, pull trigger, slide comes off, remove recoil spring and barrel & it's field stripped.
Both are very easy to field strip.

Stay Safe.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top