JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at getting a handgun for woods carry, one that will stop most anything. I do spend time in Montana, since my girlfriend is from there. My choices are, Glock 20 10mm, Ruger Alaskan .44mag, or a .357mag revolver in the $5-600 range. I like the idea of the Glock since it has 16rds and a magazine, I can also attach a light for around the campsite at night, I had a G20 once before though, and it broke the extractor, so I sold it. It made newer not trust it 100%. The .44 sounds good, but it only has 6rds (bad for large packs of Grizzly bears or sasquatches), and it is big and heavy, I can buy my cousin's with a Galco holster for $500. I threw the.357 in the mix for sh!ts and gigs.. Lets hear the opinions of all you experts!

Go for the .44. If your getting attacked by a bear, you'll probably only get a few shots off before you're eaten anyway. :s0112:

Now if there is any chance of you running into illegal drug plantations, maybe the Glock 20 would be a better choice. :s0131:

I had a glock 23 .40 cal. I took it as my sidearm while black bear hunting and would personally go with a bigger gun. I was tracking a wounded bear 1/4 mile and ended up shooting it twice. Once in the shoulder and once in the leg. Just kept coming. All that after a heart and lung shot from a 30-06.

What ever you get make sure it will fit inside a bears open mouth. Cause if you don't drop it when the the bear puts your head in its mouth you want to be able to wedge the pistol up in there and either end your suffering or his. And in either case your going to need to get the thing into it's mouth.

(bad for large packs of Grizzly bears or sasquatches),

Well if you run into a pack of grizzly's, six shots will be enough, because you will use them on yourself and the girlfriend.

I would say the glock 20 lots people use it for a woods gun. You can get some pretty hot rounds for the 10mm, with hard cast bullets. Heck even Denmark issued them for protection against Polar bears, I don't know if they still do, but at one time.

I carry a few types of firearms, which depend whether I am hiking or hunting or camping, and often one of them is in 10mm.
I suppose if I was worried about lots of bears that I would find a way to conceal carry an PTR-91 or PTR-32 pistol.

One might feel adequately armed carrying something like this in bear country. Mebbe good for Sasquatch, too...

Rossi Ranch Hand.jpg

In this part of the country, a .357 would do you just fine. But then again we don't have grizzly Bears. I guess one thing to think about is the follow up shot....because you'll want to be able to shoot it again in case a grizzly keeps on comin'. Can you adequetly handle the recoil of the .44. 2 hits from a .357 is better than no hits from a .44. Just carry the biggest baddest gun you can handle.

I'd go with the G20. Powerful rounds and lots of em! Mix it in with some bear spray and good awareness practices and you should be good to go.

I've spent quite a bit of time fishing in Alaska and almost every guide I knew carried a .44 Mag ruger redhawk or equal. Plus they almost always carried a 12 ga. pump with .00 and slugs. I know a couple who have had to bring down a big grizzly a time or two and they said, first shot, hit it in the snout with the 12 ga .00 (takes out their eys and smell) then back up and finish him off with the .44

Hand grenades maybe? Just kidding.....

If you like the 1911 platform, look at a 460 Rowland conversion kit/barrel. I shot a buddy's and it has tons of power, is surprisingly accurate, and is quite easy to control. Of course you would probably have to handload your own ammo....

Dont shoot the bears. All you have to do is go out in the woods with somone that is slower than you, and nature will take care of the rest. Or if you are slower than your friends, you wouldnt be after you put a 9mm round in their knee cap. Only kidding.

I have a .357 that I take into the woods, but we dont have any grizz's around here. Up in AK, my Uncle would only take his 30-30 that he kept slung over his shoulder. Granted he played football in highschool, and I am, well, slower but, yeah, crap... never thought about that....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top