JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, looking for some feedback here, my elderly neighbors (both in their 70s-80s) recently approached me as they wanted some advice on a handgun to get for self defense should Trump lose the election, they divulged they do not currently have any guns, and the last time he shot a gun was a garand when he was in the service. I told them I would give it some thought and get back to them. Given their age I was thinking something along the lines of a SW 380 EZ for the easy rack slide, and low recoil. I am thinking that would be a solid choice given their age. Does anybody else have any other suggestions? They do not want a rifle or shotgun.

The best thing you could do to "help" them is find a range with rentals and a place with classes. Many have both in one place. Picking a gun and telling them to buy it will most likely be a very poor way to help. A range with rentals will let them try a few designs and see what works rather than buy something then find out they do not like it. No mater who is POTUS should mean zero to them having a gun. For that all they have to do is watch some news and it should be enough to show them they should have protection. The POTUS is not going to come and keep them safe no matter who gets elected. ;)

Because it's pretty straight forward.....IMHO, a DA or SA revolver is pretty safe for most people to learn to operate (get up to speed) quickly.

Aloha, Mark

The best thing you could do to "help" them is find a range with rentals and a place with classes. Many have both in one place. Picking a gun and telling them to buy it will most likely be a very poor way to help. A range with rentals will let them try a few designs and see what works rather than buy something then find out they do not like it. No mater who is POTUS should mean zero to them having a gun. For that all they have to do is watch some news and it should be enough to show them they should have protection. The POTUS is not going to come and keep them safe no matter who gets elected. ;)
Ordinarily I would agree with this advice, but we do not have anywhere nearby who does such service in the Olympia area, at least that I know of. I already suggested they go to one of the local shops I trust, but there is no try out there beyond holding itso it would be difficult to decide purely based on that.

The one thing with the SW 380 EZ is I own one and can offer to let them try mine out (under direct supervision of course thanks to WA law).

Ordinarily I would agree with this advice, but we do not have anywhere nearby who does such service in the Olympia area, at least that I know of. I already suggested they go to one of the local shops I trust, but there is no try out there beyond holding itso it would be difficult to decide purely based on that.

The one thing with the SW 380 EZ is I own one and can offer to let them try mine out (under direct supervision of course thanks to WA law).
There are no ranges in Oly with rentals? Hell if not it would be worth the drive to the next big city then. There is plenty of them up the road in Tacoma. The drive would be FAR better than having them buy something they find they can't use and are then stuck with. At their age I have to guess work is not a problem? So they should have some free time on their hands? If it was someone I knew well enough to care about I would offer to help out. Set a date to drive them up to the place and have some fun for a while. Go out to eat after and head home. It's not like we are talking having to drive to another state here:confused:

I would throw the idea in the proverbial ring here- the Sig 238. Same type of operating system he would have used in the service (1911) during qualifications.

I was thinking something along the lines of a SW 380 EZ for the easy rack slide, and low recoil.

Could be a good choice if they can operate the grip safety. Excellent review of the 380 EZ. Never shot one myself.

I'd also consider something like an 8 shot revolver. Probably heavier gun so recoil should not be bad with .38 special rounds; however semi-auto beats revolver in the reloading speed race.

Tacoma/Federal Way has plenty of ranges that have rental counters. I've started many a new shooter out on a double action revolver with a 3-4" barrel over 40+ years.

Tacoma/Federal Way has plenty of ranges that have rental counters. I've started many a new shooter out on a double action revolver with a 3-4" barrel over 40+ years.
I second just that. The manual of arms is dead simple. Quite a bit of operator error can happen with an auto.. with a revolver, not nearly as much.

Both my wife and I are in our mid-70's and we both carry .380 Rugers or Kel-Tecs depending on our attire. However we are both very experienced hand gunners and your neighbors are not. May I recommend a single shot 20 gauge shotgun. Easy to buy, ammunition is plentiful and both the gun and the ammo are inexpensive. It's also extremely easy for both of them to learn how to shoot it. My real concern with teaching the elderly to handle guns for the first time has more to do with when to shoot, rather than how to shoot. Just my opinion.

I understand that a no shotgun preference has been indicated, however I have it on good authority that if you come out of your basement on to the porch and touch off both barrels of a double barrel shotgun any disreputable persons will immediately turn into beautiful rainbows. :s0140:

However I'll join the pack and say, revolver or .380 EZ :s0104:

I understand that a no shotgun preference has been indicated, however I have it on good authority that if you come out of your basement on to the porch and touch off both barrels of a double barrel shotgun any disreputable persons will immediately turn into beautiful rainbows. :s0140:

However I'll join the pack and say, revolver or .380 EZ :s0104:

That video still has me ROFLing.

Double action 6 shot 38 steel frame is good, the weight helps if its for home use.it reduces the shock to the wrist and stays on target easier .
Very simple to use.
Semi auto can get confusing with out experiance and under stress

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR