JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys - I have purchased about 8-9 guns in the last year with no issues. I am a concealed permit holder and the only thing even remotely interesting on my record is one speeding ticket in 20 years...

Went to purchase a gun today at my local gun shop and for the first time ever - got the "delay." Needless to say - I am less than happy - particularly since I can think of no reason why.

Only other possible motive they could have for delay is that this would have been the 5th gun I have purchased in 3 months.

My questions are:
1 - Has anyone else had a similar experience?
2 - Would the number of handguns purchased in the last few months have caused or could have caused the delay?
3 - Is there a number I can call to find out? I know they don't tell the gun dealers why, but I want to know if I can find out - after all - I am the applicant.

Any help would be appreciated. And yes - I know - it's just a week - but it still ticks me off!

1- I was delayed at one point in a similar situation, turns out that the ATF was just 'busy' that day and didn't wanna do it right away.
2- I think it MIGHT, but I wouldn't be worried about it.
3- The only way to get more info is via the mail I think, so you wouldn't find out until after you could pick up the gun anyway!

PS: If you aren't denied after 3 days, you can pick it up anyway! I ended up doing that, and got a call from the gunshop about an hour later telling me that the ATF had just replied with an OK.

Thanks Keane. I actually just got off the phone with NICS. They couldn't tell me why it was delayed, but he was very helpful and confirmed that the number of handguns purchased WILL NOT flag your record and cause a delay. After he looked up my transaction number he kind of chuckled and then said to have the FFL call them immediately for a status and that I would be "very satisfied."

I assume either they got busy, missed something or something else because it's now been approved. Ironically - this makes me want to buy another gun just to make sure I am not delayed again and confirm there is nothing wrong with my record! :) I will say they were very patient with me and very polite.

I am always delayed 9 out of 10 purchases. It sucks but happens. I have been told my military background can do that if you have had a clearance of some type or depends on what you did. Or you just got a lazy fed eating a doughnut and did not want to check right then. Don't sweat it.

Being in Oregon, I am sure things are a little different. However..

My first firearm purchase for myself, was delayed as well. The dealer handed me the OSP firearms line number though, so I could call and find out what was up.

I came home and did just that. I was told I was delayed because of an "open arrest" on my record, and they merely had to check it out. What the heck does that mean I asked..

Years and years ago, I had decently sized traffic ticket, in which I appeared in front of a judge, and set up a payment plan to pay off the somewhat reduced fine. All of this made it on the paper in the courtroom, however at some point did not get entered into whatever computer system they had going at the time. After some time of non payment (in full) it alerts the judge or whatever, and he issues a bench warrant for arrest.

Turned out to be a capture and release at the county jail, and they gave me yet a new court date to appear in front of the judge and junk. Appeared in front of judge, asked what was going on, error was found and corrected. They apologized, etc..

So in the end, the OSP or whatever merely had to check out why I was arrested and not charged with a crime. This is what I was told anyway. Took like two weeks time and to me seemed a little excessive. They did mention that they would fix the issue and I should not have any problems in the future.

I have not had anymore problems with the check since that time.

In my case I did give my SSN. Still not sure why it was delayed. I called NICS, and although very nice to deal with, they WILL NOT give you the reason you are delayed. Seems kind of hosed up not to be able to find out the reason for YOUR own delay...

I had a local firearm store receive a transfer for me a few years ago. I was delayed for whatever reason, as I was never able to discover the cause, and told as such by the employee of the store. Knowing that I had no record, I didn’t stress about it, and figured I’d get it in, at most, 3 days, based on the research I did/facts I had at the time.
3 days came and went, and I tried to pick up my transfer. I was denied by the gun store. They had no information from the check, but refused to allow me to get the transfer without explicit clearance, which I understand they have the discretion and legal right to do.
Over a month went by. I finally got the call telling me I was cleared to come pick up my merchandise. About a week after that, the FFL called me back saying they’d misplaced some of the paperwork from my transfer for the purpose of their record keeping, and told me I had to come in as soon as possible to provide/copy/replicate etc (whichever specific, I don’t recall) whatever they needed to complete their paperwork. Already having been slightly soured by the initial experience (again, I know they had the right to, and it may well have been their policy to not let anything out the door without it having cleared, but one can’t help but be annoyed with over a month of delay), I told them I’d come in when it was convenient for me to do so. After all, I saw no reason to roll over backwards/take time off work to get them what they needed and make up for their incompetence. My response was met with baseless threats, telling me I would be reported to the BATF if I didn’t comply. It seemed to me that the only people in any legally compromised position were the employees of a Federal Firearms Licensed dealer who were keeping insufficient firearm transaction records.
I promptly ended the call, and, to be safe, consulted a lawyer. Once I was more confident/reassured that I was not in a legally tenuous position, I decided I wasn’t going to provide them with anything.
I received two more calls of an intimidating manner, each time I replied that the burden was not on me. After the second, I received no further contact. Either they checked their facts, or they just got distracted by being unpleasant to other clients.
Not the best firearm buying experience, to be sure. Needless to say, I don’t do business there any more.

I was trading A rifle in on A purchase at A store in Lacey had to fill out the 4473 form was delayed untill they got the ok. They finally called 31 days later and told me that I was cleared. But when I got down to pick it up 40 miles away (thats the second trip 160 miles round trip )they told me I had to fill out another 4473 form because it had been more than 30 days. I will not buy any other weapons from them, I have A wa. cpl and should not have been delayed anyway their bad.

I wanted to share my experience as a long time firearm owner-purchaser and a current employee of a business that sells firearms.
Now, I am the guy that calls in the information from the 4473 to NICS (National Instant Criminal background Check system in West Virginia). This is operated by the FBI. They are very pleasant to work with but really no sense of humor. I call in the info that contains no specific information about the firearm except a long gun or handgun, purchase or pawn redemption. (Suprise! There is no national database of the firearms we all own. Washington State retains data on handguns only.)
The response from NICS is "Proceed" or "Delay" or occasionally a "Denied" status (Hint; Felony convictions never go away and a Domestic Violence conviction is also grounds for denial. If you pawn a gun with a felony in your background, you will probably not be able to pick up your firearm and you will likely get a visit from the Sheriff who will have a discussion with you about the problems of being a felon in possession of a firearm.)
I do get complaints from people who get delayed and assume the business is to blame. Actually we are just the messengers. Also please note who issued your Concealed Carry Permit. It was not the FBI, it was the County Sheriff so the carry permit has no effect on a 4473.
Most of the people who get delayed have a common name and NICS is looking through all combinations before allowing a transaction to pass. I frequently get calls back from the the same day with a "Proceed" status. I just thought I could inject some information from the other side of the counter.

Could be anything, sometimes it's because their system is busy, their computer system is slow/antiquated, you name is "similar" to some bad guys, etc. etc.
Pain in the *
It's the government, do you expect it to work right?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top