JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have a friend who would like some handgun training.

She's a newbie.

My handgun training and experience is limited and at close quarters.

I suggested she take a real class rather than learn my bad habits.

What/who/where do you recommend in the Portland area?

Thanks in advance.

Scouts out!

My .02,

Spending training money on a brand new shooter may not be the best value.

A couple trips to the range and cover the basics; that all 19Ds already know...will enhance her formal training experience (s).

Then, if she likes it, spend some money...but I do not know anyone.

I heard good things about the classes taught at the Clackamas county training range off from Sunnybrook blvd.

Safefire in Vancouver also has good women's classes.

Classes & Clinics

Wifey took the PST 101 class. It's appropriate for those new to hand guns, AND ladies. It took her a 2-3 month wait after registration, and the class had only a dozen or so people. Three or four women she says. The instructors were a husband/wife team and Wifey said it was very comfortable for her. It's an 8 hour class, with 4 hours study/handling "Blue" guns, and then 4 hours range time. It WAS worthwhile for her.

My suggestion is a Class taught by a lady for ladies only. I think you're wise to have a regular Instructor Teach her rather than doing it yourself. That being said I don't have any suggestions Other than you might see if the NRA has some information. The Training Division keeps track of such things.:)

Just a week ago my wife attended an all women CHL class here... B.A.B.S Firearms Training

She is quite comfortable with shooting, but she decided she wanted a CHL and needed the training certificate. I didn't want her sitting in a classroom full of men, hogging class time, so I researched and found this place in Oregon City. My wife said it was absolutely great.

WAYNO.

P1010515_zps35ccfacb.jpg

Last Edited:
Have a friend who would like some handgun training.

She's a newbie.

My handgun training and experience is limited and at close quarters.

I suggested she take a real class rather than learn my bad habits.

What/who/where do you recommend in the Portland area?

Thanks in advance.

Scouts out!
Have her pick a course where she can double up. That way if she decides to apply for a CHL down the road she's got the cert. ready to hand to the sheriff's office. If she travels have here do both Oregon and Utah CHL courses. Kill two or three birds with one stone. 👍

I'm not a lady instructor but I have a lot of ladies at my classes. I'm offering a First Shots Pistol course next Saturday at DRRC. $89 includes gun & ammo designed for new shooters. All .22lr.

I'm not a lady instructor but I have a lot of ladies at my classes. I'm offering a First Shots Pistol course next Saturday at DRRC. $89 includes gun & ammo designed for new shooters. All .22lr.

I highly recommend Kimber.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top