JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If he's intelligent and not full of himself, he could watch a decent youtube video and come away with the same info any basic pistol course would give him.

I did the NRA pistol instructors course a few years ago and got the certificate. As someone who grew up shooting and safely handling firearms from an early age, the basics of firearms are easily learned, and I was rather underwhelmed by the knowledge someone had to demonstrate to be deemed 'a professionally certified instructor.' Your brother could easily practice most things with a unloaded firearm.

This is also the best money I ever spent for helping others learn to shoot. We don't even need to use live ammo until all The basics are well acquired. The upfront cost might seem excessive, but consider how much money someone wastes when they are learning to shoot when really all they need is to learn how to use the sights.

Looking for an introduction to handgun class. My brother has purchased his first handgun and I want him trained by a professionally certified instructor. Please advise.
Welcome to NWFA.
That's a good question... most members here are pretty experienced but, if they're like me, not great teachers (speaking for myself only).
I've taught my boys to shoot but encourage them to look for some primary level professional instruction for a fully-rounded experience... ol' dad probably missed a few things along the way. As I said... I'm not a great teacher. I tend to lack the focus necessary to view things with "new eyes" and know what it is they do not know they don't know yet.

Looking for an introduction to handgun class. My brother has purchased his first handgun and I want him trained by a professionally certified instructor. Please advise.

Welcome to NWFA. A real good start for your Bro would be to print out the "Four Basic Rules of Gun Safety" for him to work on.

We all know following those four simple rules at ALL times a person is handling a gun will go a long way toward avoiding many of the dangerous mistakes people make.

Certified by who?

I did the NRA pistol instructors course a few years ago and got the certificate. As someone who grew up shooting and safely handling firearms from an early age, the basics of firearms are easily learned, and I was rather underwhelmed by the knowledge someone had to demonstrate to be deemed 'a professionally certified instructor.' Your brother could easily practice most things with a unloaded firearm.

^^^Case in point.

I can tell you first hand I know several people from that area that drive past a lot of schools to train here...Cerberus Professional Training Group

There a pistol foundation class coming up 5/17
May 17th Pistol

and a Concealed Carry - Train with an Attorney at your side the day before.
CONCEALED CARRY

and there's always private lessons. Worth the drive.

If you lived in seattle, youd want to blow your brains out. No class needed to pull that off.
Not exactly helpful, brother. True, but maybe not in this particular context.
Welcome to NWFA. A real good start for your Bro would be to print out the "Four Basic Rules of Gun Safety" for him to work on.

We all know following those four simple rules at ALL times a person is handling a gun will go a long way toward avoiding many of the dangerous mistakes people make.
Expanding a bit, here they are.

#1 Treat all guns as if they are always loaded. ...
#2 Never let the muzzle cover anything that you are not willing to destroy. ...
#3 Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to shoot. ...
#4 Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.

Simple and 100% effective.
Learn it, live it, embrace it.
Be a responsible gun owner, keep your junk safe. Ask questions and heed advice. Congratulations to your brother for jumping-into the fray that is the (stupidly and unwisely) embattled 2nd Amendment fight... how 'bout you? Where are you at?

Welcome to NWFA.
That's a good question... most members here are pretty experienced but, if they're like me, not great teachers (speaking for myself only).
I've taught my boys to shoot but encourage them to look for some primary level professional instruction for a fully-rounded experience... ol' dad probably missed a few things along the way. As I said... I'm not a great teacher. I tend to lack the focus necessary to view things with "new eyes" and know what it is they do not know they don't know yet.

Thank you for the welcome Jonnyuma. Ya see that is exactly what I was thinking about. I have been shooting and handling guns for over 25 years but, I want him to receive a proper instruction.

There is a lot you need to know when you are first learning about firearms and firearms safety. Professionals will have a proven curriculum that builds on itself. New shooters need confidence most of all. I could start blurting out a bunch of stuff over the phone but, he may or may not even understand what I am talking about. I am not an instructor and I don't wanna risk my bro's life or the life of others because he didn't have the basics covered.

Welcome to NWFA.
builds

Thank you for the welcome Jonnyuma. Ya see that is exactly what I was thinking about. I have been shooting and handling guns for over 25 years but, I want him to receive a proper instruction.

There is a lot you need to know when you are first learning about firearms and firearms safety. Professionals will have a proven curriculum that builds on itself. New shooters need confidence most of all. I could start blurting out a bunch of stuff over the phone but, he may or may not even understand what I am talking about. I am not an instructor and I don't wanna risk my bro's life or the life of others because he didn't have the basics covered.
That's a winner of a post right there. We all need to have the ability to recognize our strengths but, just as importantly (more so, really) our weaknesses.

Many times I've been asked to train new employees.. I've done it a few times, can recognize obvious trouble-prone areas, etc... but I tend to ignore what has become rote or obvious to me (been doing this for almost 30 yrs) but can be confusing for a new-new-hire. That's where a pro shines... a well-laid-out curriculum that keeps the instructor focused on the student's needs vs what the instructor already knows.

It's not so much that I lack empathy or patience, those things can be overcome. It's just that seeing or experiencing things from a 1st-timers perspective eludes me and I tend to focus on getting the job done over training FNGs to be valuable assets to the company.

I consider it a weakness on my part, but not one I work hard on overcoming.

Down here the Clackamas county sheriff has a place where people can get classes and a shooting range with guns for rent and ammo to buy. It's called "The Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center" Maybe one of you county sheriffs has something like that?

Down here the Clackamas county sheriff has a place where people can get classes and a shooting range with guns for rent and ammo to buy. It's called "The Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center"
That's a very nice (exceptionally nice) facility. I went in for CHL fingerprinting and swore I'd come ba k as soon as my current range membership renewal came due... that's about... NOW.

Are they currently open?

Certified by who?

I'll re-ask the above. Is there a specific certifying body you find more legitimate than the others? As others have shared, the basics of safety and accuracy are fairly easily understood and communicated from the right person. I know from experience that certification doesn't guarantee knowledge or the ability to teach. I've been trained by professionals who taught bad, unsafe habits as well as those who's attitudes were so bad that I'd never but a new shooter in front of them. I've also been trained by some exceptionally talented, knowledgeable, and patient people.

Also, you're in Seattle. Is that where your brother is located too and is he limited to a certain travel distance from where he lives?

I'm too new to the area to offer a recommendation. I strongly dislike know-it-alls, so I don't want to share my background here, but I'd be happy to offer to spend a day going over what's been taught to me and what I've taught many new shooters. Feel free to PM me if you want or best of luck with your search

I'll re-ask the above. Is there a specific certifying body you find more legitimate than the others? As others have shared, the basics of safety and accuracy are fairly easily understood and communicated from the right person. I know from experience that certification doesn't guarantee knowledge or the ability to teach. I've been trained by professionals who taught bad, unsafe habits as well as those who's attitudes were so bad that I'd never but a new shooter in front of them. I've also been trained by some exceptionally talented, knowledgeable, and patient people.

Also, you're in Seattle. Is that where your brother is located too and is he limited to a certain travel distance from where he lives?

I'm too new to the area to offer a recommendation. I strongly dislike know-it-alls, so I don't want to share my background here, but I'd be happy to offer to spend a day going over what's been taught to me and what I've taught many new shooters. Feel free to PM me if you want or best of luck with your search
Thank you TorchRedTulsan, He lives up in Lake Stevens. I just want a patient, thorough and professional instructor for him. I want him to wanna train, and this first instruction could be pivotal in his shooting future.

That's a winner of a post right there. We all need to have the ability to recognize our strengths but, just as importantly (more so, really) our weaknesses.

Many times I've been asked to train new employees.. I've done it a few times, can recognize obvious trouble-prone areas, etc... but I tend to ignore what has become rote or obvious to me (been doing this for almost 30 yrs) but can be confusing for a new-new-hire. That's where a pro shines... a well-laid-out curriculum that keeps the instructor focused on the student's needs vs what the instructor already knows.

It's not so much that I lack empathy or patience, those things can be overcome. It's just that seeing or experiencing things from a 1st-timers perspective eludes me and I tend to focus on getting the job done over training FNGs to be valuable assets to the company.

I consider it a weakness on my part, but not one I work hard on overcoming.
I struggle also with that. I also would feel anxiety if I trained him and he did something inadvertently that caused him injury or somebody else. I am thinking about going to his house with a dry erase board and marker and sequester him for about 4 hours.

I let him shoot my Glock 17 about 20 years ago and he got a bad case of slide bite, he has never wanted to shoot again since. I appreciate everyone's input on my concerns but, I am gonna teach him slowly. 4 rules of gun safety, explain the mechanisms on a firearm. How to grip the gun, and how to field strip and clean etc... Once I feel that he has a basic grasp of the concepts, perhaps we will introduce live rounds and a local range. Wish me luck.

OP, welcome to NWFA. I applaud your efforts to get your brother proper firearms training upfront before he develops bad habits or turns him off. There is a big difference between firearms education and firearms training. Most of us don't let our kids drive with only a classroom education and insist on student driver's training with a qualified instructor.

That said, here is an NRA qualified resource located in Marysville WA which should be convenient for him... Pacific Firearms Training - Marysville, WA 98270

That's a very nice (exceptionally nice) facility. I went in for CHL fingerprinting and swore I'd come ba k as soon as my current range membership renewal came due... that's about... NOW.

Are they currently open?

I'm sorry I didn't see this. I must of somehow missed the notification.

Anyway, looks like not open...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top