JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cheaper than dirt usually has shipping cost that can through the advertised price over the top.

Ah. I forgot to put in shipping prices! :oops: I was using online prices because LGS prices are so steep. I usually do buy my primers and powder locally tho, when primers are on sale. During the shortage, when a 1lb can of Unique was going for $50, I found an old can of TiteWad on my dealer's shelf for $12.99... looked it up and Hogdon had a powder puff load for it... bought 4 cans eventually. I don't load 9mm with TiteWad tho, the pressures get flaky very quick. Bought some TiteGroup for 9mm, haven't used up all my 700X and Clays yet. I have a 4lb can of Red Dot waiting for me to load up some .38Spec. :)

If I shot 9mm, 5.56, and the occasional box of 30-06, there's no way I could justify getting set up to reload.

Shooting 45 Colt, 44 Mag, 45-70, and the like, it's easy to justify casting and reloading. I can't afford not to.

If I shot 9mm, 5.56, and the occasional box of 30-06, there's no way I could justify getting set up to reload.

Shooting 45 Colt, 44 Mag, 45-70, and the like, it's easy to justify casting and reloading. I can't afford not to.

But if a guy could pick up a used set up at a good price it would be good to do so now and buy components. The next time there is a shortage they will be set. With no reason to panic buy.

45/70 is another one that is easy to load and way cheaper to do. Usually hotter stuff is just shy of $2 and you can load it for around $.45 if you already have the brass.
The supplies I have were bought years ago (primers, powder). I shoot a lot, so recycle my own brass by the thousands yearly. Bullets are my most costly expense (.40, 45 ACP). I do a lot in the winter, not so much in the summer. Just started .300BO from donated bullets and processed cases at $.13/case.

I reload for 9mm for around $.11 a round. It is tunned to my gun and the power factor that I want. I shoot around 15k in 9mm a year. The savings in 1 year pays for the equipment. Now that doesn't factor in my time but I mostly enjoy doing it and I can generally do the mindless thing while watching tv.

45 @ the cheapest I see is 23 cents a round
1 LB powder $20
can load about 1,400 rounds depending on grains
so lets say 1,200 rounds loaded for each Lb
that's about
.02 a round
brass at
.03 a round
bullets I buy when on sale for around
.13 ea and as low as .10
primer
so I am @
.20 a round
and I don't have shipping charges all I have is time invested and rounds that are more accurate then factory loads so,,,
and the count for brass is if you buy it once you have it then the coast for reloading is
.17 a round

Group buy powder @ Powder Valley. 6- 8 lb kegs on one hazmat charge.;)
Examples of some specialty ammo I reload.
9mm 147 JFP tailored for IDPA shooting. Very accurate.
45 acp 200 swc. Light target load much easier to shoot than 230 FMJ
Match grade 223 with 77 and 80 grain Serra Match Kings
30/06 safe ammo for Garands
Working on 308 long range
Reduced power 357/44 magnum loads:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

At least, not for range ammo for common pistol calibers. I can buy 9 mm and .45 ACP FMJ's for .20 & .25 a round, I can't match that even with cheap bullets and free brass, and that's ignoring my time, too. So how do you guys do it? Are you buying components in such vast quantities that the volume discount makes it viable, or do you just not care? Or are you willing to spend the time, assuming you can break even on cost, just for the control? Mostly just curious, later.

Dave
Oh and Dave, have you priced +P/+P+ ammo lately? The difference in cost to a reloader between the three and more different power levels is around 1/7000x$20 which equals around .00014 cents.. I think. lol, and I can of course also load those for cheaper than bulk .22 with terminally superior heavy or medium weight lead SWC's out of the 9mm than any hardball and many HP's.
anyways

I have said it many times (and variations) but still the same - DON'T get into reloading thinking you will save money - get into reloading as an extension of your interest in firearms and the desire to get the best performance out of them or variations of performance and specialized loadings you can NOT get unless by reloading. An example of this would be reduced velocity loads that are simply not available for some calibers. Eventually as you build up supplies by finding deals or components you know you will use you will always be ready to 'knock out' however many rounds you think you will need instead of driving around looking for what you want and unsure of the prices. With reloading you will always know what your per round cost is and depending on the caliber can be a significant savings over store bought. And while I never thought it would happen the shortages of certain calibers during the 'panic' phases kept some people I know from shooting while I was able to supply myself.

I've reloaded so little the last few years that I tend to say "I usta reload". Just lack of time. But I still like it and since I have a fondness for odd firearms that tend to come in odd calibers, reloading is the way to go. Back before the totalitarian democrats pretty much wrecked the gunshows, you could find some really interesting collectors items. Reloading generally meant there was no real "you can't get ammo for it" factor. It might be more trouble or less, depending but it was always do-able. Face it, even on line you usually can't grab a box of, say, 6mm USN. I look forward to the hoped for day when I have time to do more of it. It's not as cheap as when you could get a box of Sierra .308 165gr for $7.00 or a lb. of IMR powder for $3.05 but it's still fun!

Properly stored, factory ammo and reloading components will last for decades. I was just shooting some M2 ball out of my M-1 that was made in 1967 and reloading it with primers I bought in the early 90s. Why not stock up both and cover all bases?

1967? Heck, that's practically brand new! A couple of years ago I took out one of my rifles and fired some USGI '06 from 1943. Functioned flawlessly.:)

just started reloading 9mm. Spending just around $142 per 1k. I can easily crank out 300 rounds every night before bed on my 550. The cheapest quality ammo I used to buy was PMC on sale for $180. A friend and I split component costs and we can easily shoot 1k rounds a weekend. The way I see it is I've gained a new hobby and save $40 bucks a week. cant wait to get die setups for my 44 and 41. Also, my 9mm rounds are significantly more consistent and accurate than factory. Also get a certain sense of pride shooting them

Humans have a short memory and nothing seems to fix this ever.

We see the evidence throughout this thread as people continually mention CTD as a source of ammo as if they are the cheapest source and the kind of business we should be supporting. In a year or two I suppose we'll be sending people to Dick's for their firearms purchases.

Thanks for all the responses, guys, some I was aware of, some I hadn't thought about. I guess my biggest issue is time, taking care of a disabled wife tends to make scheduling a joke :rolleyes:. Thanks for your input.

Dave

We see the evidence throughout this thread as people continually mention CTD as a source of ammo as if they are the cheapest source and the kind of business we should be supporting. In a year or two I suppose we'll be sending people to Dick's for their firearms purchases.

I chose Cheaper Than Dirt randomly for my cost analysis because people are familiar with the company, not as a recommendation of where to buy. I'd say I'm sorry to have tweaked your sensibilities, but it wouldn't be true. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Edit: And I'm the only person the brought up CTD as an example of average online pricing, the rest or the mentions were responses to me. So "We see the evidence throughout this thread as people continually mention CTD as a source of ammo" is quite blown out. I get your point about them, but IMO your getting triggered doesn't help your case when you engage in hyperbole. And yes, I do have a short memory. Next time I'll choose a different example, just for you. :rolleyes:)

Last Edited:
never get into reloading for the purpose of saving money. atleast thats what i tell my friends. sure, i can load cheaper than i can buy but after factoring in the cost of eqipment and time its a wash... in my opinion. reloading to me is more of a hobby than it is a money saver. i feel like my rounds are more consistant than factory rounds and also, i enjoy doing it.

:)

just started reloading 9mm. Spending just around $142 per 1k. I can easily crank out 300 rounds every night before bed on my 550. The cheapest quality ammo I used to buy was PMC on sale for $180. A friend and I split component costs and we can easily shoot 1k rounds a weekend. The way I see it is I've gained a new hobby and save $40 bucks a week. cant wait to get die setups for my 44 and 41. Also, my 9mm rounds are significantly more consistent and accurate than factory. Also get a certain sense of pride shooting them

The 550 is the apex of hobby reloading IMO, when you can crank out 100 9mm rounds in under 30 mins, it's hard not to spend some time regularly reloading and resupplying ammo supply without having to go to the store.

Powervalleyinc.com has consistently lowest prices, midwayusa.com when there are sales can have very good prices too.

For all but the cheapest calibers, the component cost of reloading can provide a significant percentage of savings. If you factor in your time, you'll never save money, but most people wouldn't be working instead of reloading anyway. The biggest significance IMO is that buying hollow point or hunting / long range ammo is REALLY expensive. By reloading those instead of buying them from store you can save a bunch because the mark up on them is much higher. It just depends on how often each person shoots and if they are willing to spend time reloading that they would need to determine it was right for them.

The entry cost is another factor. Let's say you buy a Dillon 550, drop around 400-500 dollars on the set up, then you have to consider that you could have bought $400-500 worth of ammo instead, but reloaders are playing the long term game. 20 years from now I still expect to be using the reloading equipment I have now and I intend on my kids to learn and grow up in the process also.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top