JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At least, not for range ammo for common pistol calibers. I can buy 9 mm and .45 ACP FMJ's for .20 & .25 a round, I can't match that even with cheap bullets and free brass, and that's ignoring my time, too. So how do you guys do it? Are you buying components in such vast quantities that the volume discount makes it viable, or do you just not care? Or are you willing to spend the time, assuming you can break even on cost, just for the control? Mostly just curious, later.

Dave

At least, not for range ammo for common pistol calibers. I can buy 9 mm and .45 ACP FMJ's for .20 & .25 a round, I can't match that even with cheap bullets and free brass, and that's ignoring my time, too. So how do you guys do it? Are you buying components in such vast quantities that the volume discount makes it viable, or do you just not care? Or are you willing to spend the time, assuming you can break even on cost, just for the control? Mostly just curious, later.

Dave

If you buy cases on sale it's way under that;).

I'd only think about loading stuff that's $1+ to buy factory.

Still haven't gotten to that point though. I'm in the aquiring gear first stage.

If you buy cases on sale it's way under that;).

I'd only think about loading stuff that's $1+ to buy factory.

Still haven't gotten to that point though. I'm in the aquiring gear first stage.

45/70 is another one that is easy to load and way cheaper to do. Usually hotter stuff is just shy of $2 and you can load it for around $.45 if you already have the brass.

You can buy them cheap now! What happens when we have another price jump. Stock up now with bulk ammo, buy all the components while its cheap and then when prices shoot through the roof and they will, you will be set up to continue on in your patriotic duties protecting your family and going to the range.

NOW to follow my own advice! :oops::confused::(

Re: 9mm.

You can buy 115s on super sale pretty cheap. But you can't buy 147 subsonics cheap. I can load them for about 0.11/rd and they will run in all my 9mm pistols, take down poppers reliably in matches and super quiet in my Suppressed AR 9mm.

I like heavy bullets slow for suppressor work. Many times I have to load to get what I want. You can't buy 200 grain subsonic .357s. Or 200 grain subsonic .40 snot through a 10" barrel.

And .300 BO? Unless you're keeps dendently wealthy, skip that caliber if you don't reload.

I'm loading 45 acp at about 0.15/rd (plated or FMJs bought in bulk). When you have a gun that fires 14 of them in a second that economy adds up pretty quick.

I don't reload many calibers that I use but others I seldom buy new. My 378 WM ammo is 170.00 a box some places. I can reload it for a few dollars a round. But 223 is a PIA to load......always pinch my fingers.....we load trap rounds with our automated loaders, I like my 44 Mag loading better than anything I can buy, ......///so, it just depends on the round. My Ponsends and Warren loads trap shells at hundreds per hr (supposedly 900) so cost savings can be great for the effort.

I don't reload many calibers that I use but others I seldom buy new. My 378 WM ammo is 170.00 a box some places. I can reload it for a few dollars a round. But 223 is a PIA to load......always pinch my fingers.....we load trap rounds with our automated loaders, I like my 44 Mag loading better than anything I can buy, ......///so, it just depends on the round. My Ponsends and Warren loads trap shells at hundreds per hr (supposedly 900) so cost savings can be great for the effort.
Yeah I also load .401 and .351 Winchester SL, and .300 savage. At a dollar fiddy to two bucks per trigger pull it's almost a necessity to build my own. The more common stuff I don't save as much but it's still cheaper and always available to me so why not?

You can buy them cheap now! What happens when we have another price jump. Stock up now with bulk ammo, buy all the components while its cheap and then when prices shoot through the roof and they will, you will be set up to continue on in your patriotic duties protecting your family and going to the range.

NOW to follow my own advice! :oops::confused::(

THIS! Several years ago when the prices and availability of factory ammo was high and very hard to find, this pushed me into reloading. Even the components were hard to come by, all were at a premium. Spent brass at local matches was quick to be picked up, often times the ROs/SOs were collecting it first before the shooters could get in there to "scrounge".

Nowadays, all items are plentiful and cheaper. I've been stocking up on factory ammo, storing it for a rainy day, while I use the reloads that were made over the last few years. Components are good to get as well and put away, some good advice here with this...of course, pocketbook dependent!

Nothing like shooting your own loads and having them run like a champ during a match!! Cheers!

Hmmm...

Xtreme Plated .45RNFP 180gr x 500 $56 = $.11/
Titewad powder 1lb $20 3gr/rd = $.008/
CCI Large Pistol Primer $28/1000 = $.028/

Total = $0.146/rd

Cheaper Than Dirt: Armscor 230gr/50 $19.19 = $0.38/rd

IMO unless you are shooting steel case, .45ACP reloading is still worth it.

9mm cost analysis is:

Xtreme plated 9mm 115grRN x 500 = $.08/
Clays powder 1lb $19.48 5gr/rd = $.013
CCI small pistol primer $33/1000 = $.033

Total: = $.126/rd

Cheaper Than Dirt: Winchester 115gr/50 $9.49 = $0.18/rd

That's getting close but still reloading is 70% of the cost of new in this case study. Greater savings could be had with higher bulk levels of purchase of either components or new. I enjoy stroking my handle but not nearly as passionate about reloading 9mm as .45ACP. Hunting rifle calibers are not even close in cost nor in accuracy. Too lazy to do a study on .223 or 5.56mm.

THIS! Several years ago when the prices and availability of factory ammo was high and very hard to find, this pushed me into reloading. Even the components were hard to come by, all were at a premium. Spent brass at local matches was quick to be picked up, often times the ROs/SOs were collecting it first before the shooters could get in there to "scrounge".

Nowadays, all items are plentiful and cheaper. I've been stocking up on factory ammo, storing it for a rainy day, while I use the reloads that were made over the last few years. Components are good to get as well and put away, some good advice here with this...of course, pocketbook dependent!

Nothing like shooting your own loads and having them run like a champ during a match!! Cheers!

I started rolling back when the common folk could not mail order ammo and you still had to fill out a log to buy hand gun ammo. Much of it was hard to find what you wanted. Rolling your own of course was great. When they let us start buying ammo by mail I stopped rolling near as much. No longer worth my time for stuff like 9mm. I did set aside 5 gal buckets of brass in every caliber I shoot. along with bricks of primers and pounds of powder. Humans have a short memory and nothing seems to fix this ever. I have seen "shortages" before and learned. Most do not. When something sets off a panic they scream. Has to be some kind of conspiracy. <shrug>. This last one when .22 ammo took years to come back was one of the best I have seen yet. Took my Wife a year or two to even find out it was happening. When she did she got all in a panic. I told her do you seen a shortage here when you grab some to go to the range? The answer was no. I made sure of it. Now that it's over most will soon go back to waiting till they are out to buy more. When the next panic hits they will scream conspiracy again as they can't find any <shrug>

Xtreme plated 9mm 115grRN x 500 = $.08/
Clays powder 1lb $19.48 5gr/rd = $.013
CCI small pistol primer $33/1000 = $.033

Total: = $.126/rd

Don't forget to add in the cost of equipment, other supplies (washing etc...) storage space...

Then deduct for; satisfaction, pride, quiet alone-time, relaxation, independence, knowledge acquired.....and the admiration of those among us (me) that don't re-load...

Total = PRICELESS! :)

Last Edited:
Folks who do not reload tend to factor in there time too much, I think anyways. They (IMO), do not see the benefit once there time is factored in. I do. I find it relaxing, along with the sense of accomplishment. Even case prep.

Sure, it's not as cost effective now when time is factored in (for me anyways but everyone's time valuation differs).

Think on how much having whatever you and yours want to go shooting, when the prices skyrocket again...and the store shelves are bare...

Now, mind, I haven't started into reloading for rifle yet. Hope to in the coming year though.

Learning how to reload, well it takes time. Another thing folks who do not reload I don't think realize.

Least ways the folks who tell themselves "oh I'll do it when manufactured gets to be too expensive", well when manufactured gets to be too expensive, component prices go up as well.

For anyone thinking to get into reloading in the future, stock up on components whenever you can now. Online sales, in store specials, local yard sales/estate sales (if you have a sat morning free).

Primers do not go bad, about. And they are the one component which is so difficult to home manufacture that they are not worthwhile in about any context I could think of worth discussion here.

Then pick up whatever press, dies and other stuff you think you might need. Now.

Spend some time in your shop/garage (wherever you might designate to reloading) sometime when the weather is crappy...

When the price is crazy again, and the store shelves are bare, well then there you go!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top