JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Able to do a a bgc and get the handgun (18-21 years old) vs sill not legal (need to be 21+)

• Total voters
Reactions
I would like your inputs in this question I have. It goes like this in Oregon private sale of firearms requires a background check (bgc). And to buy a hand gun over the counter you need to be 21+. So the only way to get a handgun if you are 18-20 years old is private sale or build your own. So the Question is a person 18-20 years old able to buy a handgun say from the handguns classified and do a bgc; if it passes will the 18-20 year old be the legal owner of a handgun or is this not possible because they will have to be 21+. Sorry for the wording of the question I am not good at writing and thanks for your inputs! Trying to find out the truth to not waist time looking and trying to find a handgun to ultimately waste both parties time.

Last Edited:
Only legal (i think) way in Oregon is for a family member close enough to give or sell a firearm to you without a BGC. If they buy one with the intent to sell it to you it's a straw purchase and still illegal. ALL other transactions require a BGC in Oregon. Personally, just wait a few yeas.

The only way for somebody under 21 to own a handgun in Oregon is for it to be gifted to them. I also don't believe they are allowed possession outside of the home or while participating in sports.

Last Edited:
Only legal (i think) way in Oregon is for a family member close enough to give or sell a firearm to you without a BGC. If they buy one with the intent to sell it to you it's a straw purchase and still illegal. ALL other transactions require a BGC in Oregon. Personally, just wait a few yeas.
I heard it is simple for shotguns or rifle to be passed down a firearm. However, handguns and nfa items require more paper work. So what do you think let's say if my dad were to gift me his handgun is there more paper work? What about if my cousin gifted me a handgun?

I heard it is simple for shotguns or rifle to be passed down a firearm. However, handguns and nfa items require more paper work. So what do you think let's say if my dad were to gift me his handgun is there more paper work? What about if my cousin gifted me a handgun?

I'm not sure of Oregon law being different based on firearm type outside of NFA weapons. If your family has NFA items then I urge that a NFA trust be set up that you can join when you become 21.

What I can see about Oregon is that it says "close family members" but haven't seen a definition of that. We see a lot of Oregon firearm legislation with weak or ambiguous wording either to make interpretation bendable to the government's discretionary advantage or due to the blatant ignorance of those authoring the legislation.

I'd do am Internet search for gun lawyers (there are many of them) and see if you can find a FAQ that tells you. If you can't find it then send an email asking the question as though you were potentially looking for representation and you may get the answer for free. You could also ping your County Sheriff for clarification.

The only thing you DON'T want to do is to take legal advice from the general membership of a gun forum. The consequences of violating the law in order to have a pistol for a few years while you are young do not outweigh the consequences of making a mistake that could prevent you from owning ANY firearm for the rest of your life.

What I can see about Oregon is that it says "close family members" but haven't seen a definition of that. We see a lot of Oregon firearm legislation with weak or ambiguous wording either to make interpretation bendable to the government's discretionary advantage or due to the blatant ignorance of those authoring the legislation.

SB941 clearly defines the only options now for a legal transfer w/o an FFL is from:

(A) A transferor's spouse or domestic partner;
(B) A transferor's parent or stepparent;
(C) A transferor's child or stepchild;
(D) A transferor's sibling;
(E) A transferor's grandparent;
(F) A transferor's grandchild;
(G) A transferor's aunt or uncle;
(H) A transferor's first cousin;
(I) A transferor's niece or nephew; or
(J) The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

I'm not sure of Oregon law being different based on firearm type outside of NFA weapons. If your family has NFA items then I urge that a NFA trust be set up that you can join when you become 21.

I'd do am Internet search for gun lawyers (there are many of them) and see if you can find a FAQ that tells you. If you can't find it then send an email asking the question as though you were potentially looking for representation and you may get the answer for free. You could also ping your County Sheriff for clarification.

The only thing you DON'T want to do is to take legal advice from the general membership of a gun forum. The consequences of violating the law in order to have a pistol for a few years while you are young do not outweigh the consequences of making a mistake that could prevent you from owning ANY firearm for the rest of your life.
I will. It is Sunday and a lot of ffl dealers are closed Sunday and Monday. Will try to contact those listed when every one is at work.

You can't legaly buy handgun ammo if you are under the age of 21 either. Just an FYI.

Gifted my son a Kriss Vector in 9mm for his 18th birth day. "But dad I cant buy ammo for it"

Me "but you can buy primers, powder and projectiles". :cool:

B4383FE6-08C9-4BBB-866B-94B137EADA5E.jpeg

I would like your inputs in this question I have. It goes like this in Oregon private sale of firearms requires a background check (bgc). And to buy a hand gun over the counter you need to be 21+. So the only way to get a handgun if you are 18-20 years old is private sale or build your own. So the Question is a person 18-20 years old able to buy a handgun say from the handguns classified and do a bgc; if it passes will the 18-20 year old be the legal owner of a handgun or is this not possible because they will have to be 21+. Sorry for the wording of the question I am not good at writing and thanks for your inputs! Trying to find out the truth to not waist time looking and trying to find a handgun to ultimately waste both parties time.

Having been both a Police Officer, and a federal licensed Firearm Dealer, I can share this with you. In Washington State people under the age of 21 can and do own Handguns. There is no way, however when going through a dealer, can someone under 21 obtain a handgun. Even if it is for a background check. Technically, the dealer is making sure, under federal, state and local jurisdictional law's, that you can legally own it. And as such you are technically buying it from them. Even if you are picking up your own firearms from a Pawnshop, or Gunsmith.

Someone under 21 can obtain (Be given or bought)a handgun say from a family member, Firearm Trust , or under some circumstances from a private party. If you are, for say, arrested by the Police, and they find a handgun in your possession, they are not legally entitled to confiscate it, unless they have "probably cause" it had been used in a crime, or was illegally obtained.

They can have it in their home, car (unloaded and safely secured), or work place. Taking it to a shooting activity, or open carrying on hikes, hunting trips or outdoor target practice.

A 16 year old can have one in their person for these events as well, if they are in the presence of their parent or guardian. And or on, family owned property without the parent or guardian.

However today, laws are changing almost over night. In most cases a person under 21 may not be able to buy any caliber handgun ammo. (Any caliber ammo that can be used in a handgun. And that includes .22 lr). AND it is only going to get worse now that the elections have happened.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top