JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you need to "dig" for a weapon it is already too late!

That is a good point. I suppose if somebody decides they want my bike more than I do they are not going to let me wrestle out of my back pack and then dig through it to find some protection. Brings back memories of prom night actually.:s0114:

So the next stupid question is which type of gun would handle the abuse of bouncing around all day long? I was leaning towards a small semi-auto but maybe a revolver would do better.

...which type of gun...

Now you did it, that's like starting an oil thread on a bike forum!
I "got into" guns because of riding my Ural Gear-Up in the hills. I've a carried a Taurus 85ul in a front jacket pocket. I found that to be a bit bulky for my liking, so I recently bought a Kel-Tec PF9. A little lighter and narrower, It fits much nicer in my jacket pocket. One of my riding buddies carries in a shoulder rig. You'll just have to find what works best for you.

Anything but another oil thread!! I was mostly wondering if a semi-auto or revolver would be safer. I did some reading last night on the differences between SA/DA/DAO and that cleared it up for me. Just didn't want to be out riding around and accidently shoot a nut off or somehthing. I have ridden with my rifle on my back but have pretty much no hand gun experience so lots of stupid questions.

Anything but another oil thread!! I was mostly wondering if a semi-auto or revolver would be safer. I did some reading last night on the differences between SA/DA/DAO and that cleared it up for me. Just didn't want to be out riding around and accidently shoot a nut off or somehthing. I have ridden with my rifle on my back but have pretty much no hand gun experience so lots of stupid questions.

Harley makes a number of small hard (ABS) bags, covered with leather. I have what they call a peanut bag which bolts nicely to the frame just behind my floorboard on the left side. My Walther PPK fixs in it perfectly.

My point is that any hard (metal, ABS) 'bag', properly sized for the gun and that can be secured to the bike, should work nicely.

Frog.

Here is how I carry when riding. It is a Blackhawk small fanny pack. I like the Blackhawk over the standard fanny pack I use for the gym (Galco) because it has a double locking clasp and belt loops on the rear to keep it extra secure.

Fpack1.jpg

Fpack2.jpg

Clasp.jpg

When I use to ride I kept trying to figure this out. I was going to buy a MOLLE vest. Then you can strap a holster where is is comfortable. Plus with the vest you will be able to put other stuff on it so you can carry everything needed to ride (tools, water, cell phone, spark plugs, etc.)

So the next stupid question is which type of gun would handle the abuse of bouncing around all day long? I was leaning towards a small semi-auto but maybe a revolver would do better.[/QUOTE said:
Virtually no modern gun can fire just from an impact, but some maybe from several impacts. You wouldn't want a gun that could be dangerous if the safety got bumped off (no pun intended,) like a single action, cocked-and-locked automatic with a soft, short trigger. Also, a partially cocked gun with a soft, short, double-action trigger like the Glock could be dangerous without a secure holster to keep its trigger covered.

Safest of all would be a double action revolver with a long trigger pull, virtually foolproof with no safety to fool with. Next would be uncocked double-action autos with long, stiff triggers, like a Kel-Tec. And next would be "partially cocked" double-action autos with long, soft triggers, like the Kahr.

If you have a gunshop that cannot intelligently discuss these different options without them trying to push something on you, find another gunshop!................elsullo

I haven't really had any close calls but I would rather be prepared for it if I do. Most of my dual sport riding is through the coast range by myself. If you ever wander around up there you will see some strange things. People out in the middle of nowhere for no reason. People living up there out of their vehicles. I have had people follow me until I jump off the road onto a trail. Mostly I would like to have some protection if I happen to break down up there and am not able to ride away if a situation finds me.

Once up in the hills in Washington I was asleep in a tent when I woke up to hear the door being unzipped. I was half asleep when I hear my wife make some noise and somebody outside say "sorry, wrong tent" when there was nobody else nearby. We woke up to find everything not bolted down had walked away during the night. Losing property is one thing but having somebody come into your tent and having noway to protect yourself opened my eyes.

I have always hunted but never had a hand gun. Never really even considered having one until I realized that there are times where I need to protect myself and family and with things heading downhill in the country those times are becoming more frequent.

Broken ribs are a small price to pay for losing a weapon that was attached to your bike. Especially when it gets found, who knows what it'll be used for at that point. It's always better to have 100% control of your weapons.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top