Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hammerless shotgun help please

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by james83, Apr 15, 2012.

1. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

Hi, everyone, I could sure use some help here with a side by side shotgun i recently bought
    So here starts the story, A few weeks back i bought a stoeger side by side coach gun with internal hammers, I bought it because it was on sale and i thought it was kinda neat looking, I then decided i had no real use for it so decided to put it up for sale or trade here on the forum. Well up until today i had never fired the gun and seeing as how i was going out today with my buddy to do some target shooting, I thought well i may as well put a few rounds through the gun see how it works and then drop the price on it.

Well here is where the problem occured, after around 60 rounds the extractors failed to extract the spent shells and the gun would not fully open, in a moment of infinate wisdom (stupidity). I decided to close the gun remove the fore end and barrels and remove the spent shells by poking a cleaning rod down the barrels, problem solved right? well no because im a moron and in that moment of infinate 'wisdom' failed to remember that the gun is now decocked with the hammers down!

So now i have no idea how to reassemble the gun with the action decocked, The owners manual is useless and has no infomation about such things and im trying to find some infomation online, If anyone has any idea how i can reasemble the gun in its current condition it would be much appreciated.

BTW i guess the extractors got stuck because of all the excess oil left in there from the factory, I cleaned them out with some breakfree and they now function fine

2. tdb59

tdb59 OR Active Member

Most internal hammer shotguns have cocking pins that extend from the front of the receiver at a point near the frame pin, and are actuated by the leverage of the forend iron when the action is opened. Duplicate that action on the cocking pins, and then reassemble the gun.

Hope that helps.

3. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

thanks for the info, i just managed to cock the hammers by pushing those cocking pins down against the edge of the table, took a lot of force but it reassembled just fine, just fired it with snap caps and it appears to be functioning correctly, think i'll stick to semi-auto and pump shotguns from now on

4. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I have never seen any issue with taking a double gun,O/U or side by side,down ,cocked or not.
    Fore end should just pop off,break the action and pull it apart.

I'm not a Stoger fan.Had one that I had to bump it on my knee to break the action.Not even close to a smooth action or trigger
    Sold it soon after