JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am having an issue with the hammer on my new SIG p290.

The good news with the gun is that the trigger itself is smoothing out a lot and is getting to be much better.

The bad news is that I am constantly having an issue with the hammer. It occurs mainly when I am staging the DAO trigger. The hammer is not falling completely. It is just returning to a partially cocked position. In fact the trigger is able to be pulled again after the hammer falls. That is not something this gun is supposed to be able to do. At least I am assuming it isn't. I am thinking this is a bad thing.

After looking at some old video of me shooting the gun when I first got it I am noticing it happening in the video. I think tthis might be what I was mistaking for light strikes. I am curious to see if anyone else having the light strike issue might be seeing the same problem.

I am itching to tear it down a take a look inside but I want to talk to SIG first.

I made a video that shows exactly what I am talking about.

YouTube - Hammer Malfunction with SIG P290

Safety lever timing issue? When does the safety lever lift the firing pin block to release the firing pin in the duration of time from beginning to pull the trigger, to the sear breaking off the hammer? If the timing is early, the block will release the pin way in advance of the hammer falling. If it is late, it the firing pin block will release the firing pin almost at the same moment that the sear breaks. (Assuring the gun is unloaded and the mag is out, you can test this by using a small punch to put intermittent pressure on the firing pin to its stopping point, while holding the cocked hammer slightly with you thumb so it doesn't fall onto your punch, and slowly pulling the trigger until the sear breaks and the hammer falls into your thumb. When the safety lever has lifted, you'll feel the firing pin plunge deeper, falling into the chamber.) Sounds to me like the timing may be late, but its hard to tell from your video if the hammer is falling onto the safety intercept notch on the hammer, or if it is falling on a blocked firing pin.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top