JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im not looking to pester people, or crying wolf, I just wanted to know if the radio I listed would work when zombies kick in my front door, I mow them down with my M4 and run for the hills. I figure it I would love for someone to track me down in that situation... Or toss it in my backpacking pack when Im in the middle of nowhere and someone goes down and needs help.... Or when the USA ends becuse it goes bankrupt, and there is no more bailout $$$ I have a hill (small mt.) next to my house, that looks like a good base of ops. It would be nice to see who else has survived...

I might take the test, I might not. I WILL study for it. and I WILL get a radio. I will NOT use it unless I have to, and I know how to transmit to get my message out. I was a FireFighter for a few years, and have used alot of radios at work as well...

If you've got someone down and in need of aid, I seriously doubt if anyone will care. That you are studying and have a radio and know how to use it will be enough. The rest is boilerplate in case someone reads this later and thinks just getting a radio is enough.

Guys, the test is something like 35 easy questions multiple choice. I think it is $14. I took my test at a Pizza place. It is really no big deal. I passed the technical portion of the old novice test (which was harder than the present tech test) when I was 10 years old. If you can read at a 3rd grade level you are good to go. Stop making excuses for yourself and just take it. Run the practive tests at QRZ.com until you are getting good scores then find a place to take the test.

Besides there are pleanty of other rules you will want to break when the SHTF on the radio on out of band stuff. So you can still use the "but it's an emergency" excuse.

Ahhhhh, Kilo Frank Seven, Dermal Septic Necrosis, this is November Seven Tango Romeo Zulu calling...

Oh, no. Let's not let this turn into a phonetics thread. If anyone's around I'll be monitoring the Salem repeater shortly. Give me a call if anyone wants.

145.290 salem

KE7YBL *Kilo Echo Seven Yankee Bravo Lima"

I know, I had to say that for the people that take the test and whatnot serious... Im sure I would have got one or two people say "you know you cant just talk in one of those, there are rules..."

Thinking you can just carry it around and use it only in emergencies when you might not get in trouble for not being licensed is a bit silly. Would you buy a handgun for self-defense and never get training or at least take it out to make sure it shoots? Having any piece of survival gear that you don't have familiarity with and periodically verify functinality is just about as good an idea as that. If you are going to use a VHF/UHF radio in your preparedness planning you should get licensed so you can practice and gain familiarity before the SHTF.

There are reasons for the tests. At the lower levels it is mostly to learn regulations, but even at the technician level you still need to know what you are doing to prevent causing unwanted interferance. There is also a big safety concern as when you are broadcasting over a certain frequency and power you can actually cause physical harm to yourself or others. Do you ever wonder how the microwave was invented? Yes, it was amateur radio operators who noticed that over certain frequency/power levels they were getting burns. With the right equipment someone could get a severe burn and/or electrical shock by being near or coming in contact with your antenna.

Even if you don't care about the last part, for just the reason that you can practice and be familiar with your equipment the license shouldn't be scoffed at. Even if all you do is read and memorize the question pool you will be way ahead of the general population.

-Brian

Do you ever wonder how the microwave was invented?
Do you?

Hey brian, just so you know.... the microwave was invented or should I say discovered by Dr. Percy Spencer, an engineer... He was working on a new form of Radar using a new maganatron, He was asked by the British (a engineering frim) to invent a apparatus that could see enemy planes at longer distances then what was out at the time in 1946. He stood next to the magnatron to adjust it, and his candybar in his pocket melted... after that set some popcorn next to the magnatron and it popped... he then set an Egg next to the magnatron and it began to move and heat up...

now you know....

and I dont plan on transmitting to china...

Some really sad info, toward the end of and after the war techs would be working on hugely powerful radar transmitters and amplifiers, often sitting inside enclosures to accomplish adjustments or repairs. Many started showing signs of radiation poisoning . The huge voltages involved (we're talking multi-Megawatt transmitters so the voltages had to be several hundred thousand volts) in the amplifier tubes induced the creation of X-Rays and these guys were irradiating themselves. A few died. I guess nobody had a candy bar in the pocket by that time.

Here's a link to some interesting reading.

Some really sad info, toward the end of and after the war techs would be working on hugely powerful radar transmitters and amplifiers, often sitting inside enclosures to accomplish adjustments or repairs. Many started showing signs of radiation poisoning . The huge voltages involved (we're talking multi-Megawatt transmitters so the voltages had to be several hundred thousand volts) in the amplifier tubes induced the creation of X-Rays and these guys were irradiating themselves. A few died. I guess nobody had a candy bar in the pocket by that time.

Here's a link to some interesting reading.

========================================================

Yea well My Uncle Lonzo was at ground zero for two nuclear explosons, he doesen/t remember the actual explosions, but a few years back the Army finnally admited that they did in fact blow him up twice and paid the man.

Sorry to go off topic.

I thought he wasn't supposed to remember the explosions, he was supposed to have his head in a slit trench, wasn't he? A lot of those guys were led in there like livestock just to see if they could still hold a rifle after a nuclear release. I also read "Atomic Soldiers" several years ago, and some of the GIs remember some non-GI types being led in irons much closer to GZ than they had to. And nobody seems to remember any marching out again. Again, OT.

I thought he wasn't supposed to remember the explosions, he was supposed to have his head in a slit trench, wasn't he? A lot of those guys were led in there like livestock just to see if they could still hold a rifle after a nuclear release. I also read "Atomic Soldiers" several years ago, and some of the GIs remember some non-GI types being led in irons much closer to GZ than they had to. And nobody seems to remember any marching out again. Again, OT.

=======================================================

Uncle Lonnie said they put him in a bunker covered with about 2 feet of dirt with a slit type window, kinda like a pill box, he claimed 3/4 miles away from from the bomb tower, with 2 other guys. This happened twice to him, he was ordered to do this (always made me think maybe he wasn't such a good soldier if they kept blowing him up) He would come too a short time after the explosion and they would come by in a bus and pick him up and take them back to base.

After almost 50 years of trying to get the Army to admit to blowing them up, they finally did. Uncle Lonnie fought long and hard to get them to admit to it.
They gave him a settlement of around $75,000.00

I don't think it hurt him much as he lived to be 76. Always thought it was a cool story. At least they didn't give him acid (that he knew of).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top