JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@arakboss can you elaborate a tad more on the scenario to solve for?

Would you be home and they are home?

What distance between the homes? Any substantial hills or dense woods between the homes?

If within say 1/2 to 1 mile, what about simple, non-programmable GMRS-type radios? Everyone leaves them on as agreed-upon, can communicate over those?

Most of my neighbors have acquired these types of radios. We all agreed to monitor a particular channel/frequency if things got stupid out there. We've even done some testing to ensure good signal (ie., inside home to inside another home).
The area is heavily treed and hilly. My place is in a bowl and the neighbor that most frequently watches over my place lives a 1/2 mile west of my place on a hill. Her place is about 40 meters higher in elevation than my place. There is a 10 meter higher hill in between our places so no line of sight.

I was just spitballing thinking about whether you could operate a Dakota alert type of device over longer distances without expensive equipment?

What distance between the homes? Any substantial hills or dense woods between the homes?

If within say 1/2 to 1 mile, what about simple, non-programmable GMRS-type radios? Everyone leaves them on as agreed-upon, can communicate over those?

Most of my neighbors have acquired these types of radios. We all agreed to monitor a particular channel/frequency if things got stupid out there. We've even done some testing to ensure good signal (ie., inside home to inside another home).
The GMRS radio is an interesting idea. If the neighbors agreed to monitor it and I could set up a radio to trigger the talk button when a door was breeched the neighbors could here that somebody went in what they were saying. I would have to remember to have a procedure to let them know if it was me entering and have an easy way to disable the door triggering of the talk button. Any ideas on whether that could work or not?

I just noticed a license is required for GMRS, what about FRS or MURS radios?

I just noticed a license is required for GMRS, what about FRS or MURS radios?
It depends on the particular frequency and the output power used.

Some freqs are 'shared' and if say you are putting out 5 watts you might need a license but if say on the same freq you are only putting out 1 watt you may not.

Its confusing so look it up HOWEVER I know for a fact many, if not most of any GMRS, FRS, MURS users do not have licenses, or even know they do need them.

What frequencies does this radio operate on? I've never heard of these bands before.
9qdqufarbsk91.jpg

Is there any acceptable method of using ham radio to alert neighbors of security breach at remote property?
Arakboss, I read of the low lifes who were breaking into your place. That sucks so much. Have you considered getting a Space-x antenna and satellite internet? Lots of cameras will hook up to it. Your neighbor might get great internet and be able to watch your stuff.

I was up in the middle of the woods a month back (no internet, no phones anywhere etc) and someone had that setup and working in their tent.

??

Arakboss, I read of the low lifes who were breaking into your place. That sucks so much. Have you considered getting a Space-x antenna and satellite internet? Lots of cameras will hook up to it. Your neighbor might get great internet and be able to watch your stuff.

I was up in the middle of the woods a month back (no internet, no phones anywhere etc) and someone had that setup and working in their tent.

??
It is available in the area of my property. The cost is prohibitive for me but I have considered it. Not having internet down there helps me stay unplugged. If I had internet down there, I might fall into the same traps that keep me from getting stuff done here at home.

It is available in the area of my property. The cost is prohibitive for me but I have considered it. Not having internet down there helps me stay unplugged. If I had internet down there, I might fall into the same traps that keep me from getting stuff done here at home.
I just received my starlink satellite system last week and must say that after going without any internet for 7 years that this system is incredibly fast for satelite internet.

It looks like the Dakota alert alarm uses the MURS frequencies at 1.1 watts.
Gents,
I currently have three sectors around my house monitored by the Dakota MURS alert boxes. When triggered, it transmits a firmware alert saying "Alert Zone #". the only choice/setting you have is whether you want the alert repeated three times or just the once. I bought them off Amazon for the free shipping. I can use any Baofeng radio to monitor. The range is pretty good. I HIGHLY recommend using the CTSS feature.
***The only CONS I have had are;
#1 - I had to send one back as the infrared sensor went bad and it kept alerting constantly. Amazon was easy to deal with it.
#2 - Sometimes birds mistake it for a bird house and try to peck through the white plastic cover on the sensor window.
#3 - There are only 4 'zones' to choose from in the settings. So you can only have the radio sqwuak Alert Zone ONE (up to Four). There is no FIVE+.
If you wanted, needed more zones, you could have four on one channel, and another four on another channel, then you would have to scan those two channels constantly. It can be done, but just something else to go wrong.
#4 - Almost forgot the last CON - Cats, Deer, Racoons, Rabbits, etc are hard to 'filter' out using discreet/proper placement.

If you wanted super-long range, there are other possibilities in Ham Radio. I helped build remote river level sensors, and there are remote reading weather stations on APRS. HOWEVER, keep in mind that Ham Radio, by its rules and regs, is a party line. Not something I would recommend for a security system.

Best to all.

I am hearing more activity on GMRS repeaters. It may be because the licensing requirements don't require a test and the license covers the family.

In greater Seattle, the East Tiger GMRS repeater near Issaquah has a lot of activity.
+5 offset
TSQL rTone 141.3 and cTone 141.3

More GMRS repeaters:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR