JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been using Hamradio prep app on my phone while studying the AARL. Technician manual while at home ( don't have much in the way of internet at home and zero cellular reception)

Hamexam.com is a good one as well.

A couple old radios I have repaired and using!

IMG_20220725_092108851.jpg

is this page still active? I'm not seeing any recent activity.
No, we all got our licenses already....... Just kidding. :p
Try hamexam.org. It's free and they have all of the current test pool questions in actual test format. It's multiple choice and they tell you when you get one wrong. It's a fast and effective way to prep to pass the test.

The QSO Today Virtual Ham Expo is happening again on September 17-18, 2022. Pay $10 and watch a variety of sessions.

https://www.qsotodayhamexpo.com/

In addition, they've also uploaded all the previous sessions (from several years) to Vimeo and one can watch these for free.

Is there any acceptable method of using ham radio to alert neighbors of security breach at remote property?
About the only way would be if a neighbor (or neighbors) were HAM operators and were monitoring on the same frequency as a 'network', and communicated frequently.

If one or more received an alert they could inform others who were not HAM operators as well.

About the only way would be if a neighbor (or neighbors) were HAM operators and were monitoring on the same frequency as a 'network', and communicated frequently.

If one or more received an alert they could inform others who were not HAM operators as well.
I haven't noticed any obvious antennas around so I am guessing my neighbors probably aren't into HAM radio.

@arakboss can you elaborate a tad more on the scenario to solve for?

Would you be home and they are home?

What distance between the homes? Any substantial hills or dense woods between the homes?

If within say 1/2 to 1 mile, what about simple, non-programmable GMRS-type radios? Everyone leaves them on as agreed-upon, can communicate over those?

Most of my neighbors have acquired these types of radios. We all agreed to monitor a particular channel/frequency if things got stupid out there. We've even done some testing to ensure good signal (ie., inside home to inside another home).

I haven't noticed any obvious antennas around so I am guessing my neighbors probably aren't into HAM radio.
Probably not.

HAM radio is not a 'densely' populated undertaking.

Some areas and communities have groups of volunteer HAMs who are established as EMCOMM (emergency communication) teams and are are aligned with local first responders to assist with certian tasks in times of emergencies.

Every Tuesday at noon many Oregon hospitals have an emergency communication network 'drill' on the PEAKNET repeater network.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top