JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello everyone, I recently purchased an inexpensive radio to listen to SW broadcasts, what frequencies do you find most informative?
Depends on what's "informative" to you.

Me, I rarely hear my radio. I use mostly "digital modes". Of which there are a lot more than voice comms.
amateurradiodigitalmodesamp.jpg

Most of my ham-radio use involves a computer and software.
hamappscollection2014.jpg

You can probably find the frequencies to most of what you seek online, but if ya like the feel of a book in your hand, I recommend this one #AD:

Good luck, keep us posted!

Frank K2NCC

APRS questions here, coming from a TOTAL rookie:

I teach HS Science, and Im planning on launching a high altitude weather balloon within the month for my kiddos. We will he using two tracking devices, one will be GPS, and the other will an APRS. Specifically this one:

I will be taking FCC class/test to get my amateur radio license soon here. But my main question surrounds this website or others similar to it :

This appears to be a map of all the different radio tower types (repeaters?) In any given area. From my initial understanding, for maximum APRS location identification its always better to be closer than further away (makes sense). Having more towers close by also makes sense. But does the tower type (aka symbol typ) matter? I teach north of Seattle, but no way am I planning on releasing a balloon 100,000ft in the air here, recovery in the Cascade mountains would be a nightmare. So I plan on releasing somewhere just east of the Cascades, that way the prevailing air currents generally push it east into much easier to access terrain.

With this in mind I am scouting release locations roughly between the I-90 and Highway 2, on the East side of the Cascades in WA. I would ideally like the balloon to ride air currents that cover the most repeaters possible (for APRS tracking), hence why I want to understand the repeater/radio tower website.

If you have any other advice on long distance tracking/APRS let me know. We will be measuring altitude, velocity, location, temps, air pressure, and attaching a camera for pics/video.

Thank you for sharing. This is great information. I'm currently working on getting my technician license.
It's not hard. My daughter passed it when she was 13. At a casual pace, it might take a couple of weeks of studying. Go to hamexam.org and take the practice tests over and over. They also have flash cards to study with. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Go to hamexam.org and take the practice tests over and over.
Yep - I am now passing every practice test I take at 85 or higher %.

Also if you open up a practice test and do NOT take it, but just click 'grade test' at he bottom, it puts a black 'arrow' pointing to the correct answer and you can use this to study with but if you have a good handle on the material just repeating the practice tests will get you up to speed pretty fast!

Also if you open up a practice test and do NOT take it, but just click 'grade test' at he bottom, it puts a black 'arrow' pointing to the correct answer and you can use this to study with but if you have a good handle on the material just repeating the practice tests will get you up to speed pretty fast!
It's a great way to study for the test. Even if you start out knowing nothing, after constant repetition you actually walk away having learned a lot.

I have a EE degree, but can barely remember Ohm's law. I took the tech test until I could pass it with 100% more than two times in a row. I got my tech license easily, and took the general after the tech but failed by a little - I did not know at the time that it was an option or I would have studied for it. Once I get organized and setup (hah!) I will study and take the general again.

What would be interesting is a thread on HAM security. In a short term disaster situation there is no denying their value, however, in the event of a national longer term crisis, transmissions are extremely easy to triangulate with simple handheld radios and tall antennae's can act as landmarks to zero in on an operator.

One of the distrubing "prepper" type categories that seems to be ever growing is the "I only need guns and ammo... I'll TAKE whatever else I need from others" type.

The thought being... those that had the foresight to plan ahead for communications might be considered viable targets for those that may be willing to do harm to relieve others of their resources.

Last Edited:
If SHTF, it would be beneficial to listen more than talk - sure.

In the case of gangs/marauders, a smaller percentage of them will be using the digital modes, and some of the "good guys" will be using repeaters, if the repeaters still work.

Either way, it would also beneficial to not disclose your status or position if possible.

I am NO expert and am only a 'novice' at this point about ready to take my tech test but from what I am learning about 'HAM' radio from the classes I am taking locally I am learning quite a bit and here are some of the observations I have made with regard to the practicality of 'HAM' radio in a 'SHTF' situation:

Licensed HAM radio operators are not in the majority. They are a relatively a small minority of the population and typically are not those considering 'SHTF' scenarios.

The complexity of HAM radio given all the frequency ranges, repeaters, variety of equipment, different styles of antennas (and lots of other things I am learning) do not lend itself as a simple and easy to use communication system. It is NOT just a case of connecting an antenna and flipping from channel to channel like on a CB radio.

A handheld portable doesn't necessarily increase the practicality of HAM radio. Quite frankly they are somewhat complex and take a lot of practice (and possibly computer programming of them) to function satisfactorily. I have a Baofeng and I have gotten pretty good at learning it's functions where I can at least monitor transmissions for now until I get licensed.

Bottom line is HAM radio would be beneficial in a SHTF situation but only with those who are already knowledgeable and equipped in it and communicate on a regular basis with others who are equally equipped as well.

I am NO expert and am only a 'novice' at this point about ready to take my tech test but from what I am learning about 'HAM' radio from the classes I am taking locally I am learning quite a bit and here are some of the observations I have made with regard to the practicality of 'HAM' radio in a 'SHTF' situation:

Licensed HAM radio operators are not in the majority. They are a relatively a small minority of the population and typically are not those considering 'SHTF' scenarios.

The complexity of HAM radio given all the frequency ranges, repeaters, variety of equipment, different styles of antennas (and lots of other things I am learning) do not lend itself as a simple and easy to use communication system. It is NOT just a case of connecting an antenna and flipping from channel to channel like on a CB radio.

A handheld portable doesn't necessarily increase the practicality of HAM radio. Quite frankly they are somewhat complex and take a lot of practice (and possibly computer programming of them) to function satisfactorily. I have a Baofeng and I have gotten pretty good at learning it's functions where I can at least monitor transmissions for now until I get licensed.

Bottom line is HAM radio would be beneficial in a SHTF situation but only with those who are already knowledgeable and equipped in it and communicate on a regular basis with others who are equally equipped as well.
I totally see where you're coming from. It can be complex and overwhelming, especially when compared to the beautiful simplicity of CB. During a shtf scenario, it's like that repeaters might not be working so ham may be limited to simplex. That being said, at zero hour, those who have the radios will have the radios. Many people will have GMRS/FRS radios from existing family or work use. Will they have batteries to keep them going? Who knows. Likely most of them won't have mobile rigs set up in their vehicles. There's also a lot of folks who still have CB radios in their vehicles. I actually keep a portable in my truck for back up and travel. CB in most cases will do better than a simple dual band simplex so it's something to consider. Sometimes ham's get spoiled by repeater availability and never use simplex much. Now the case for your little Baofeng strengthens here. Most of the little dual band HT's are easily programmed via Chirp. You can also program the GMRS/FRS frequencies along with marine VHF and MURS. This is your tactical advantage as you can monitor all of it to see what's going on in your area. If there's a band of zombies looking to loot and they're using GMRS, you can stay on top of things. Also don't forget to program in the local municipality frequencies along with search and rescue. Chirp is your friend.

Sometimes ham's get spoiled by repeater availability and never use simplex much.
Probablay 90 % of the ham traffic in Central Oregon is on repeaters - and that is mostly on only two repeaters. I was talking to the prez of the local COARECT group in the LaPine area today and he was telling me there are a few who can talk via Simplex but the range is limited and mostly in the 2 meter frequency and they have good antennas or towers properly tuned.

Now the case for your little Baofeng strengthens here. Most of the little dual band HT's are easily programmed via Chirp. You can also program the GMRS/FRS frequencies along with marine VHF and MURS. This is your tactical advantage as you can monitor all of it to see what's going on in your area.
This is true and I have my Baofeng programmed for FRS and MURS and it is crickets. Also the approximate 6" 'rubber ducky' antenna they come with all but useless other than very short range.
I am currently building a 2 meter dipole that will dramatically increase the range of my Baofeng but mostly for repeater use. I currently am using a 2 meter 'beam' with my Baofeng and reception is excellent but it will not be satisfactory for transmission.

Last Edited:
Probablay 90 % of the ham traffic in Central Oregon is on repeaters - and that is mostly on only two repeaters. I was talking to the prez of the local COARECT group in the LaPine area today and he was telling me there are a few who can talk via Simplex but the range is limited and mostly in the 2 meter frequency and they have good antennas or towers.
Trust me - HF, on 80 and 40 meters is booming with 'local' traffic and nets on the west coast and greater PNW.

Probablay 90 % of the ham traffic in Central Oregon is on repeaters - and that is mostly on only two repeaters. I was talking to the prez of the local COARECT group in the LaPine area today and he was telling me there are a few who can talk via Simplex but the range is limited and mostly in the 2 meter frequency and they have good antennas or towers properly tuned.

This is true and I have my Baofeng programmed for FRS and MURS and it is crickets. Also the approximate 6" 'rubber ducky' antenna they come with all but useless other than very short range.
I am currently building a 2 meter dipole that will dramatically increase the range of my Baofeng but mostly for repeater use. I currently am using a 2 meter 'beam' with my Baofeng and reception is excellent but it will not be satisfactory for transmission.
Before I had my ham license I was a GMRS junkie. I had a mobile rig with a good antenna so I was able to receive faiy well. In my area, there's plenty of GMRS traffic including some of the school busses. MURS is hit and miss. Many department stores use MURS. Even Costco uses MURS with Ritron radios. They are programmed outside the public bands though so you would have to know their freq before you could listen in. The amount of traffic you will encounter depends on your population density.
Start here:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads