JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I've been over doing it and starting to confuse myself!:s0140: Realistically speaking, about how far will I be able to communicate with just a Technician license? Or is that not an appropriate question?:)

@HA556 how far do you want to communicate? 10 miles? 100 miles? 500 miles? 2000 miles?

Any communication beyond line of sight requires a repeater, and communication using a repeater probably has a limit of approximately 25 miles.

Longer distances for voice communications (using HF) require a General license, which is the next level after the Technician license.

Separately, note it is legally to receive/listen without a license.

I was wanting to keep within the boundaries of OR so, sounds like I'm going to need that General license too!

If you don't mind using repeaters, you can easily talk around the state, and further, on only your technician license. I've done that a bit already, using only an inexpensive handheld.

Trying to decide between these to handhelds for my first. Which would you choose and why? I do like the 8W capability of the Baofeng but, the Yaesu sounds to be more rugged. 'Course, I'm not really planning to use it much outside of my home.:)

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174MHz-400-520MHz/dp/B00MAULSOK?tag=seaslugteam0d-20

Yaesu FT-60R

I did watch a video where a guy did a wattage output test on both and the Baofeng did not produce the 8w it claims. The FT-60R was spot on for all three powers. L/M/H.

Last Edited:
The Yaesu FT-60R is better. Full stop.

I went with the BaoFeng when I first got my Technician license. Lower initial investment until I could clarify my goals/mission. I ended up buying more of them. I view them like a cheap truck gun. I also have a backup (ie., two is one, one is none).

If you're near Portland, stop in at Ham Radio Outlet to see it.

Haven't had any of the chinese radios. I've had / have a few Yaesu radios including the FT-60r. The FT-60r was the go to radio 10 years ago when I got involved with my city's emergency communications group. The FT-60r doesn't have all the bells and whistles some of the newer radios have but it's still a solid performer. For me I'll likely stick with the big three, Yeasu, Kenwood and ICOM. I geet too frustrated reading chinklish manuals.

Haven't had any of the chinese radios. I've had / have a few Yaesu radios including the FT-60r. The FT-60r was the go to radio 10 years ago when I got involved with my city's emergency communications group. The FT-60r doesn't have all the bells and whistles some of the newer radios have but it's still a solid performer. For me I'll likely stick with the big three, Yeasu, Kenwood and ICOM. I geet too frustrated reading chinklish manuals.
Are there any particular ones in the Kenwood/Icom series you'd recommend?

chinklish... really?

My Kenwood's are somewhat older models used for mobile and base operation. A Kenwood TM-71A and a TM-D710A. Good radios that are easy to use and have the plus of being able to be setup as repeaters. The HT,s I use are Yaesu a VX-3 and a VX-8. Both can be a bit of a challenge to operate if you go awhile without using them.

And in responce to "AshWilliams" Yes ... really. I've been spending far too much time lately trying to understand poor documentation and translation trying to setup / configure new motion control boards for my CNC mills. Just about ready to scrap them and spend 5 - 10 times as much for better documented boards that have U.S. support.

Well, got my book day before yesterday and have started on my studying. Also, did some more researching and after joining a forum, asked questions and did some brand checking. Long and short of what I'm trying to say is, WOOHOO I got my first Ham on the way!:s0140: I ended up going with a completely different brand due to price, reviews and recommendations. I got the Alinco DJ-VX50T. $99.95 w/free shipping. I'll post some photos once it arrives.:D

My Kenwood's are somewhat older models used for mobile and base operation. A Kenwood TM-71A and a TM-D710A. Good radios that are easy to use and have the plus of being able to be setup as repeaters. The HT,s I use are Yaesu a VX-3 and a VX-8. Both can be a bit of a challenge to operate if you go awhile without using them.

And in responce to "AshWilliams" Yes ... really. I've been spending far too much time lately trying to understand poor documentation and translation trying to setup / configure new motion control boards for my CNC mills. Just about ready to scrap them and spend 5 - 10 times as much for better documented boards that have U.S. support.
You can berate the shortcomings of the product and even lambast the US policy on imports, but no reason to drop racial slurs.

Yup :eek:

Keeping this thread on track, outside of the speaker mic, what other must have accessories should I pick up? Should I get a more powerful antennae or will I be ok with the one provided?

Depends on the radio you get, your wants or needs. In no particular order.
Spare high capacity battery
Magnetic mount antenna with appropriate pigtail for the ht
Battery case for AA battery's
12v adapter for car to ht
Drop in charger base
Programming software and adapter
Nifty pocket guide for the radio you choose in easy to understand English.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top