JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, after passing the tech exam 2 weeks ago, I decided to jump on the general while my head was fresh from learning for the tech. I ended up deciding to go for the extra too. 2 weeks of studying, I passed both the general and extra today.

And I still don't own a radio :s0140:

Probably need to get on that one of these days.
I'm studying for my extra now got my general last weekend thought why not.

Once we both get a hf set we'll have to make contact. I'm on two meter 146.52 simplex or 147.320

Gonna have to make that first contact sometime!

Actually, got my first contact last week, without a radio. Wife took a call late one night, it was an operator relaying a message from a station up in Canada, just north of New York. Apparently the guy saw my new call sign was issued and decided to relay a message to say congratulations and welcome to the Ham family.

So, after passing the tech exam 2 weeks ago, I decided to jump on the general while my head was fresh from learning for the tech. I ended up deciding to go for the extra too. 2 weeks of studying, I passed both the general and extra today.

And I still don't own a radio :s0140:

Probably need to get on that one of these days.
In theory, but you've got the creds now so it's all good! :p

I've signed up to do the General with a local ham-radio group in October.

My goal is to buy a portable, low-power (QRP) unit and get proficient with 1-3 forms of field-deployable antennas.

CommRadio's CTX-10 is on my mind, but TBD.
CTX-10 - CommRadio Store

Elecraft's KX3 was of interest but I've heard it can be a tad fragile.
KX3 Transceiver

I was hoping for more from Yaesu's FT-818 but they really didn't offer that much in the long-overdue update from the FT-817.

Every time I see people writing about QRP it tends to send me down a rabbit hole. Brings back memories of my grandpa known as "YB" (young boy) on the air waves until his passing in '72. YB / W70E

Greetings, I'm KK6YGH operating in NorCal. I've got my General ticket & am CERT qualified, have 2 Baofengs, a Yaesu FT-60R, a Yaesu FTM-100D in the truck, and a FT-857D as an emergency communications go-kit (Pelican 1610, solar panel, Bienno 1220 battery, AC converter, and a SignaLink USB). I can operate (ok, me and a few more folks) the emcomm 24/7 for as long as needed, and the SignaLink USB hooks to a PC and can transmit filled forms using FLDigi/FLMsg W1HKJ Software (ICS & ARC (American Red Cross) forms over the air. Very handy in actual emergencies when SHTF.

EDIT - Oh, and I've got some firearms as well. Kinda have to, being south of Oakland and on an earthquake fault that's due to kick us in the teeth... ;-)

Last Edited:
Came across this article on Twitter - CA apparently looking to shut down Ham radio repeaters across the state.

WTF??!

From my recent studies to get my license, my understanding was that states/agencies are not allowed to put undo pressure/limitations on amateur radio operators. I wonder if the FCC can step in here? ARRL?

California Officials declare Ham Radio no longer a benefit; Demands Ham radio repeater infrastructure to be Removed
Wouldn't put too much faith in declared laws of your state, and I question the sanity of Demoratic leadership. A number or reports state that more are leaving than are coming into Calif. and sounds like you may have a few wealthy, a huge number of poor with the middle class absent. After your Governor refuses to send troops to guard the border, and asks for additional money for a high speed train that went belly up twice and goes no where, after money was sent to finish, he tells the President to stuff it, the train is not going to be finished, and the money is being kept. May be wrong but only someone with a loose screw would then ask for FEMA money for wildfires after that. Answer, you better learn to manage your forests. By the way, the State of Calif. does not control the radio air waves, the FCC does. F as in Federal. The only down side I could see is perhaps a tariff on radios made in China and prices going up, or maybe they will not sell to USA. A popular radio with all the bells and whistles is a fraction of what the made in Japan Motorola and Kenwood sell for, and do the same thing. I can tell you that during these wildfires California and Oregon Officials can't get enough radio operators, and many of those reapeators like in or not from the south to the north west coast are reported to be privately owned, so I wonder just how the state plans on doing that? What authority because as far as I know only the Federal has that authority and is the license agency and controls radio regulations. Maybe California is a sovereign nation and the wall between Mexico and the US has to include California?

I have seriously been considering getting into this but, never was one to take tests very well. I have what they call test anxiety.:rolleyes: Are the tests tough?

I have seriously been considering getting into this but, never was one to take tests very well. I have what they call test anxiety.:rolleyes: Are the tests tough?

All the questions and answers are published - you just don't know which questions from the pool will be on the test. I used this website HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests to study. Even though you can use it for free, the for pay features were useful as they focused my study to my weaker areas and I could visually see my strengths and weaknesses.

When I walked in to take the exam I knew I would pass the Technician, I thought I had a shot at the General, and thought I'd be back for the Extra. I wound up passing all three much to my surprise. All you need for handy talkies-VHF/UHF is the Technician.

You don't need a license to listen, only to broadcast, so no need to wait. Just being able to get information during an emergency is reason enough to buy an inexpensive hand held.

Thank you very much for the feedback and link! I have already been looking at radios just to, as you said, listen and get an idea.:D Also looking at the manuals for studying.

Thank you very much for the feedback and link! I have already been looking at radios just to, as you said, listen and get an idea.:D Also looking at the manuals for studying.

Ham Test Online is it's own manual and one that gets updated as laws governing Amateur Radio change. After you pass your test notify them and you can access all materials and use the test features for free for life. It's actually cheaper than a written manual. If you do better with written materials then by all means get a manual. Try taking their free study and test course and I think you will like you they do things.

If you live or travel close to the Portland Metro area there is a Ham Radio Outlet in Tigard: You are being redirected...

I guarantee you will find a helpful sales person or customer to show you how the radios work. Friendly folks and in my experience they won't try to push a sale. Also there are lot's of resources for used equipment because many HAMs keep trading up.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top