JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I received this in an email from a local ham club. It may be of interest to some. The Jim Creek facility is huge and located just North of greater Seattle. The email and zoom invitation for January 16:

The Jim Creek Naval Radio Station is situated near Oso, WA and closed to the public. I have been there and it is a stunning site, huge and powerful, communicating with US Navy ships, planes and submarines around the world. Normally this is a secured site, however there is a presentation about this site with (I believe) a virtual tour. If you are at all interested in unique, powerful communication systems (One Million Watts), you will want to see this presentation!

I have been there, above ground, below ground and walked through the transmitter. Not only the control room, but the actual transmitter casement.

We have been informed of a very special opportunity and have been invited to join Navy Historian Lex Palmer & Dr. Susan Hughes, Navy Archaeologist, in an exploration of the history of Naval Radio Station Jim Creek.

This event is cosponsored by NAVFAC (Naval Facilities Engineering Systems Command) and DAHP (Washington State Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation).

From their press release:
"Nestled in the hills of Snohomish County, the facility allowed the Navy to communicate with their sub fleet around the world. When Naval Radio Station Jim Creek was dedicated in 1953, it was recognized as the most powerful radio station in the world. Its advanced technology and broadcast strength were displayed in magazine publications such as Popular Science and Popular Mechanics. Today it is still among only a handful of radio stations capable of providing more than one million watts of power, allowing the U.S. Navy to communicate with ships, submarines and aircraft anywhere around the world."

Free. Online. Open to the public.
Saturday, January 16, 2021
Zoom meeting starting at 1:00 PM (PT?)

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://zoom.us/j/92565443484?pwd=dWNSTTN0bkxJcng4dytUU1hWOXNlUT09

So I'm still learning about Ham radios as time avails. I've programmed my UV-5R with weather, FRS, and GMRS frequencies (GMRS for emergency use) and even named via CHIRP.

During the recent snow/ice storm, with power out to 250k, I noticed the weather frequencies were not transmitting.

Question 1: anyone know how the NOAA weather feed for Portland is transmitted?

Question 2: had I programmed repeaters into my HT, would I have been able to pick up the weather feed? (I have not entered repeaters into my HT. On my list along with the license...)

@RaceFan there are about 5-6 NOAA frequencies and not all are broadcasting in your area. Good to have them programmed in (I do)... :cool:

I have the following programmed into the UV-5R. I was not able to get a feed during the power outage from any of these... Even upgraded to a Nagoya (real :)) 771.

0WX1PA7162.5500Local weather
20WX2PA1162.4000weather station
21WX3PA4162.4750weather station
22WX4PA2162.4250weather station
23WX5PA3162.4500weather station
24WX6PA5162.5000weather station
25WX7PA6162.5250weather station
26WX8161.6500weather station
27WX9161.7750weather station
28WX10163.2750weather station

@RaceFan ah, my apologies. I misread your message.

A screenshot of the configured memory channels (via CHIRP) for me. I am able to pickup 1-2 NOAA stations here.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 8.09.35 AM.png

That was a lot of good info for a short power point. I've delved into 10m a bit but the 6m looks interesting. The Technicians license has a lot to offer. Aside from the local repeater scene, you can definitely talk around the world if you so choose.

Screenshot_20210310-113415.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top