HAM Radio Starter Kit - Information for Beginners

EHJ

Reactions
I base my CHIRP file off of this and add local repeaters that I frequent:
Excellent link.
Thank you!

Reactions
"I've understood it's not legal to use the UV-5R for GMRS or FRS as it's not type approved for those frequencies. Of course, if it were an emergency, I'd not hesitate to do it."

My impression was that it is illegal, not because of the frequencies used but because of the transmission power. If I remember right, it's that the 5W power of the Baofeng UV-5R is significantly higher than the 0.5 and 2 Watts specified in the table included in RaceFan's answer and that there is where the issue lies.

I am a total noob, so don't know very much at all, could be wrong.

The Heretic

Reactions
FRS cannot have a removable antenna either, and most of the Baofeng HTs do have a removable antenna, so they are not type approved for FRS.

The FCC is not going to track you down and throw you in prison, or even fine you, if you keep within the spirit of the FRS and GMRS parameters. I.E., keep the power down to 2 watts or less, don't hook it up to a base or mobile antenna with gain (the short antenna that comes with most HTs is fine, but most are technically not approved) and stay on the frequencies that you are allowed. If you do that then you are going to be ok since no one will know the difference.

If you stray off into freqs that you don't have a license for, transmit at higher power levels (including using an antenna with gain), then someone may complain and/or report you to the FCC.

"I've understood it's not legal to use the UV-5R for GMRS or FRS as it's not type approved for those frequencies. Of course, if it were an emergency, I'd not hesitate to do it."

My impression was that it is illegal, not because of the frequencies used but because of the transmission power. If I remember right, it's that the 5W power of the Baofeng UV-5R is significantly higher than the 0.5 and 2 Watts specified in the table included in RaceFan's answer and that there is where the issue lies.

I am a total noob, so don't know very much at all, could be wrong.
You can broadcast with up to 50 watts on GMRS. Although the Baofeng's can transmit on GMRS, FRS, MURS, Marine VHF, they are not FCC certified to do so. They are only FCC certified for transmitting on 2M/70CM.
If you want higher power GMRS units, Midland and Baofeng (and others) make dedicated GMRS units which are FCC compliant.

RaceFan

Reactions
Not sure if others have had issues "programming" their Baofeng UV-5R via CHIRP. I encountered the regular COM4 (error2) problem with Windows 10 and was not able to change back to the 3.2.0.0 prolific driver. Computers are not my thing so after spending a few hours messing with the fix, and even buying ANOTHER cable suspecting the first one had gone bad, I gave up and purchased a new cable with the updated chipset.

This is the cable with the updated chipset that worked for me: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ7TB31/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But that leaves me with TWO sets of the "older" cable. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CP0I474/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paying it forward as it's not worth my time sending back to Amazon, and someone here may find it useful. Whomever PMs asking for a set, I will send to them FREE. I will update this post when the cables are no longer available.

Thanks to all on this thread for the advice/information gained.

Last edited:
Not sure if others have had issues "programming" their Baofeng UV-5R via CHIRP. I encountered the regular COM4 (error2) problem with Windows 10 and was not able to change back to the 3.2.0.0 prolific driver. Computers are not my thing so after spending a few hours messing with the fix, and even buying ANOTHER cable suspecting the first one had gone bad, I gave up and purchased a new cable with the updated chipset.

This is the cable with the updated chipset that worked for me: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ7TB31/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But that leaves me with TWO sets of the "older" cable. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CP0I474/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paying it forward as it's not worth my time sending back to Amazon, and someone here may find it useful. Whomever PMs asking for a set, I will send to them FREE. I will update this post when the cables are no longer available.

Thanks to all on this thread for the advice/information gained.
Thanks for posting those links! Radiooddity is a solid source. CHIRP can be a pain in the butt when it comes to the cables and the COMM ports. A lot of the Baofeng branded cables out there are actually just fakes. I went through several cables before I was up and running with CHIRP, so I definitely feel your pain. Baofengtech.com is also a trusted source for the programming cable.

RaceFan

Reactions
Thanks for posting those links! Radiooddity is a solid source. CHIRP can be a pain in the butt when it comes to the cables and the COMM ports. A lot of the Baofeng branded cables out there are actually just fakes. I went through several cables before I was up and running with CHIRP, so I definitely feel your pain. Baofengtech.com is also a trusted source for the programming cable.
The first cable set without the "new" chipset worked once, then quit. That's when my fun began.

A week into trying to fix with an hour here and there to see if I can downgrade back to the older Prolific driver... eventually saw "new chipset" cable "guaranteed to work" for $20. Sold.

New cable works like a charm.

For anyone not computer savvy, I suggest the new cable.

PS... by your handle, I'm assuming you're a cigar aficionado. I've been really enjoying the AJ Fernandez New World Gobernadors.

EHJ

Reactions
I went through 2 before I got a good one on the 3rd time... :s0002:

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
Top Bottom