JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a baofeng radio and I want to program it to some local channels. Where can I find a list of local channels for the Longview Kelso and Vancouver/ Portland areas? And what channels should I program to? NOAA? Police blotter stations? No I dont have my ham radio license yet, this is just for emergencies. Eventually I will get my license. Thanks for the help guys

Do you have Chirp and a programming cable? I can send you a Chirp file (basically a spreadsheet) with a lot of the Portland area repeaters and NOAA. It's not hard to at all to add/delete as needed. Hand programming the Baofeng is a pain in the backside, unless you've got that kind of time and patience. :rolleyes:
Here's the link to Chirp;

Get your license brother. It's well worth it.

And then download Repeater Book if you have a smart phone. It uses your location to find repeaters near you. You can even use the menu to choose what bands to list.
:)

Do you have Chirp and a programming cable? I can send you a Chirp file (basically a spreadsheet) with a lot of the Portland area repeaters and NOAA. It's not hard to at all to add/delete as needed. Hand programming the Baofeng is a pain in the backside, unless you've got that kind of time and patience. :rolleyes:
Here's the link to Chirp;

I do not have chirp or a programming cable, or even a laptop. It will all be manually programmed

what channels do you guys suggest I program? Police activity? EMS? Also, if I am in Vancouver, and I want to talk to my wife in an emergency situation back home in Longview, I'm assuming I need to go through a repeater?

I do not have chirp or a programming cable, or even a laptop. It will all be manually programmed
OK, not an impossible task, just a bit tedious. If you can make it down to the Beaverton area though, I would be happy to flash your radio. I have everything on a small netbook and would be happy to meet up somewhere. It only takes a minute.

what channels do you guys suggest I program? Police activity? EMS? Also, if I am in Vancouver, and I want to talk to my wife in an emergency situation back home in Longview, I'm assuming I need to go through a repeater?
Your Baofeng is likely just dual band, (2m/70CM). Police use a different band that your Baofeng can't receive. Some ambulance/EMS use dual band frequencies though. If you want to monitor emergency services and police, try an app called Scanner Radio which is free.
Your Baofeng can receive however all of the VHF marine frequencies, all of the weather stations and all of the MURS business frequencies. as well as all FRS/GMRS channels. Keep in mind though that while it is legal to receive and monitor these frequencies, the Baofeng radios are not FCC certified to transmit on anything but 2M/70CM.
As @Kruel J said though, get your license. It's not hard and it's only $15. Hamexam.org is free and will prep you for the test.

Last Edited:
Ditto obtaining a license. It is not difficult nor expensive and it really opens up a lot of options. Having a GMRS license isn't bad either; unlike the ham ticket, no test, but there is a small fee paid to the FCC. (I have a ham license, but my wife does not, so that is why we obtained a GMRS license. It covers the immediate family.)

Good luck. :)

Ditto obtaining a license. It is not difficult nor expensive and it really opens up a lot of options. Having a GMRS license isn't bad either; unlike the ham ticket, no test, but there is a small fee paid to the FCC. (I have a ham license, but my wife does not, so that is why we obtained a GMRS license. It covers the immediate family.)

Good luck. :)
Totally agree with the GMRS license. People scoff at GMRS but it's an affordable, legitimate and dependable form of short range communications. The FCC has also recently upgraded some aspects of it, such as allowing power output to 50 watts, which is pretty substantial. GMRS also does repeaters! The GMRS ticket is also good for ten years.

Get a ham license, please. Not hard to do, opens worlds to you for communication. NY7D here. Lots of resources and folks that will be glad to get you started the right way. 73's....

Totally agree with the GMRS license. People scoff at GMRS but it's an affordable, legitimate and dependable form of short range communications. The FCC has also recently upgraded some aspects of it, such as allowing power output to 50 watts, which is pretty substantial. GMRS also does repeaters! The GMRS ticket is also good for ten years.

Agreed. And the repeaters aspect was a prime motivation. It has been on my preparedness "to do" for forever, but I want to setup a repeater on our property at the top of the hill. It has a clear line of site to the little town I work in and the other little town the wife works in. With GMRS radios in vehicles and my office, we should be able to communicate wirelessly even when cell and landlines are down. :)

Your Baofeng is likely just dual band, (2m/70CM). Police use a different band that your Baofeng can't receive. Some ambulance/EMS use dual band frequencies though. If you want to monitor emergency services and police, try an app called Scanner Radio which is free.
Your Baofeng can receive however all of the VHF marine frequencies, all of the weather stations and all of the MURS business frequencies. as well as all FRS/GMRS channels. Keep in mind though that while it is legal to receive and monitor these frequencies, the Baofeng radios are not FCC certified to transmit on anything but 2M/70CM.
As @Kruel J said though, get your license. It's not hard and it's only $15. Hamexam.org is free and will prep you for the test.

Not sure where you're at but here in Southern Idaho my Baofeng UV-5R has no issues what so ever picking up city police, county sheriff, fire, rescue, ambulance, city water,city road crew, county air port and slew of other frequencies - somewhere near 22 local frequencies I have in scan now.

No issues what so ever picking them up here.

Not sure where you're at but here in Southern Idaho my Baofeng UV-5R has no issues what so ever picking up city police, county sheriff, fire, rescue, ambulance, city water,city road crew, county air port and slew of other frequencies - somewhere near 22 local frequencies I have in scan now.

No issues what so ever picking them up here.
Some municipalities don't have the budget for the nice digital coms set ups. Many will use 2M VHF to get the job done. Even around here, there are ambulance companies that use them, all which you can receive on your Baofeng. They also make use of the MURS frequencies or "business bands", also available on your Baofeng. You can do a Web search and find out what frequencies your local municipalities and large businesses use. It can really get fascinating!:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top