Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Half-baked idea by half-brained people leads to dangerous drill in Halfway.

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by pchewn, Apr 30, 2013.

1. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

Gunfire and moments of fear as a rural Oregon school tests its readiness | OregonLive.com

An "active shooter" drill in the town of Halfway could have had a very bad outcome if one of the unsuspecting teachers would have been armed.

Heck, it could have been dangerous in other ways: Teachers jumping out of windows, "perpetrators" being hit by chairs ......

It is just a very BAD idea to burst into a classroom and shoot blanks just to see how prepared the teachers are.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  2. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I can understand it.. but overall a horrible idea.
    Had anyone had their CHL on hand these guys would have been dead.
    ..but.. again.. I can see how it would wake up the room full of sheep.
    Better for the more liberal schools and teachers.. not so much for ones with teachers not brainwashed by the unions, left and the media.

Caveman Jim, Stomper, DMax and 3 others like this.
  3. misplacedtexan

misplacedtexan Beaverton, OR Active Member

4. thereddog

thereddog State of Jefferson Active Member

This just smells funny.
    Who were the 2 men?

did the police just let them walk away after they started blasting?

who paid those men?

Where do the men live that paid those men?
    Do they pay those men to "protect us" by shooting up staff meetings?

this is all bass akwards.

There will be a "drill" like this again soon, and a good citizen will return fire and then watch how things get spun around.

5. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

The firearms instructors I've had (TR, OFA, etc) recommend seeking verbal compliance before shooting. Would you shoot the strangler immediately without presenting arms and seeking verbal compliance?

Next, it's possible the strangler was the "good guy" in the elevator, such as an undercover cop or victim. This is why I wouldn't use my gun to defend strangers - never 100% sure who to defend.

Regarding the Halfway classroom, of course there would not be time to seek verbal compliance in that case.

6. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Lucky none of the older teachers did not break a hip or sprain a wrist while ducking for cover.

Two masked men wearing hoodies and wielding handguns burst in and opened fire.

Someone figured out in a few seconds that the bullets were not drawing blood because they were blanks and the exercise was a drill. But those few seconds left everybody plenty scared.

I think a trained CHL holder would have dove under the table and shot at the lower half of the attackers in those few seconds.

The "active shooters" were, in reality, members of the school staff.

Er, the janitors?

Caveman Jim and Sgt Nambu like this.
  7. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

And these are people charged with educating children?
    I'm positive as to what I would do 'if' kids were present and 'if' I was one of the parents.

Janitor and Administrator missing lots of teeth. Me in jail for a bit...small price to pay.

x2ndxall, Caveman Jim and Sgt Nambu like this.
  8. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

What I know from the 'justifiable homicide' article in RCW, it seems one would be justified in outfitting said gentlemen with a few extra breathing holes. But it's a safe bet in a 'gun free zone'. Would be funny if one of the teachers was standing next to the door and had maybe a heavy stool close by that (s)he applied forcefully to one of the fine gents walking in.

9. Frankenrifle

Frankenrifle Clatskanie Active Member

Wow. If this was a PTA meeting there would have been some bodies as a result. I hope the admins face dismissal as this is beyond okay.

And isn't discharging a firearm, even one firing blanks(but not a blank firing pistol) illegal in city limits?

Caveman Jim likes this.
  10. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

11. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I just read this on Drudge, absolutely sickening.

12. Ralgha

Ralgha Portland Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

If a dude is actually shooting into a room of teachers, then I would probably attempt to shoot him without verbal warning before hand. If he's not actually shooting, then I might try yelling first.

If you're sitting in a room of teachers having a discussion (or whatever) and two dudes bust in the door and start shooting, 99.9% chance they're not victims or undercover cops.

13. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Agreed for the classroom. I was writing about the elevator prank (see above).

14. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

15. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Disarm people, then terrorize them. Makes a lot of sense.

16. iGun

iGun Pacific NW Active Member

Yup. I had a very similar thing happen when an idiot friend hid in some bushes at night and jumped me from behind. After he recovered from the elbow strike and hitting the back of his head on the pavement, what did he say? "Hey what's wrong with you? Why are you always so violent?"

17. AlphaCoyote

AlphaCoyote Oh, I get around. New Member

I get what they were trying to do: Get teachers instinctively to follow the correct protocol in case of shooters in the school. Don't go running about; close doors and keep kids inside classrooms, locked if possible. Good training. Good for them.

But I hope they also learned that if shooters come to an unarmed school, many of the teachers and students will be dead, especially if they panic. They can ameliorate by closing classroom doors with the kids inside, but reality is that unarmed people are sheep when armed wolves are in the building.

The surprise element was dangerous. One of those hooded school employees could have been killed by an armed teacher. The whole drill was premised on the idea that none of the "victims" would be armed. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. On the other hand, if teachers HAD been permitted to carry that day, this could have been a LOT worse.

18. fxdc

fxdc Da Valley USPSA, SPEED STEEL, IDPA, 3 GUN

There is a reason it's called halfway..... crazy!

19. Heywood

Heywood Prineville Oregon Well-Known Member

Almost the same thing happened to me, I was downtown Portland and an acquaintance grabbed my arm from behind and said something in thug. I just spun around and threw him into the street. He actually bounced off the side of a passing car... Very lucky bastard.

20. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I knew a guy that shot two fellow officers when six of them opened up on him with blanks in the middle of the night while he was sleeping in his patrol rig. Front page news for a week.. what a cluster. Many people got fired. Thankfully their wounds were not lethal but they were pretty good solid hits.